Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Trying to be 1000 lbs | Donna Simpson

What The Funk?

Postby Liv » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:30 am

trying to be 1000lb.jpg
trying to be 1000lb.jpg (57.15 KiB) Viewed 2120 times

So Shannon and me are watching TLC, and up comes a show that's called "My Strange Addiction". Interestingly there's one segment where a bi-sexual woman in a polygamous relationship is trying to gain 1000 lbs. That's right, she wants to be a 1000lbs. She's even set a goal.

What?

I've battled the legions of Adipose which have taken up residence in my stomach, since childhood. I'd sell a diseased kidney to be skinny, and this nutter wants, not only to be fat... but to be morbidly obese.

Shan demanded I look it up and post it, and after a bit of searching I found Susanne Eman to be quite popular among the news organizations. Her website, here, offers little insight into this confusing life ambition. The other woman, Donna Simpson's website is here. Donna is the woman on the TLC episode, though it appears Susanne has now surpassed Donna, and is trying to be the fattest pregnant woman in history. Sounds like child abuse to me. Her goal of 1600+ lbs, as listed on her website, is the world record for pregnancy. In response Donna has capitulated to defeat and has begun a diet and is now seeing a therapist.

Why is it some squander their health, and those who don't are the one's who get cancer and disease?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Alan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:47 am

Sadly, it seems some people will do absolutely anything for their 15 minutes of fame... :(
Alan

Postby Jamy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Alan wrote:Sadly, it seems some people will do absolutely anything for their 15 minutes of fame... :(

I agree.
Jamy

Postby Liv » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:38 pm

Fame is one thing, but this is stupidity. There are many ways to gain fame that don't require an almost certain death sentence.

Bloody hell.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Lady Donna Royce » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:20 am

Hey Luv,

"Why is it some squander their health, and those who don't are the one's who get cancer and disease?"

I wish I knew the answer to this one too. I have been in and out of Hospital for two months and would dearly love to have to go there no more. AND THIS FOOL WANTS TO EAT HERSELF TO DEATH! What is wrong with this photo here folks?

Lady Royce
Lady Donna Royce

Postby Jamy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:39 pm

I'd be willing to bet my minivan that this woman has been sexually assaulted as a child. Not always, but I think a lot of the time, morbidly obese people use the fat as a shield to put between themselves and people because of some sort of abuse....usually sexual.

I think stress and depression (along with ANTI-depressants) can cause it too. I know two women who are in very unhappy marriages who have both put on a LOT of weight, but i bet they'd both lose it almost instantly if they left their emotionally abusive husbands....they probably wouldn't even have to try.

And then there's of course the American diet which is the unhealthiest in the world. But I think psychology plays an important roll in why people would let themselves get beyond a certain point. This woman is committing slow suicide, while the denizens of the internet watch eagerly to see if she'll meet her goal before she strokes out. She shouldn't be an internet celebrity, she should be committed to a mental hospital because she's a danger to herself.
Jamy

Postby Liv » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:03 pm

Honestly I'm all for it, if that's what she wants (minus the pregnancy).

It's her life, if she wants to squander it... then, well, more power to her. I just don't understand it.

I mean, if I go sky-diving, I know that there's is a certain level of risk... but I do it anyways. If this is her "sky-diving" then she should be afforded that same luxury. I don't feel she has a the right to put a child through that stress if her goal is to have one, not to mention the consequences of it actually being born and has a mother who uses tongs to get something off the shelf.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:53 pm

It's not just a risk though...it will kill her eventually, just like if she ate a little arsenic every day. But I get your meaning...if she wants to throw her life away, then I reckon she has that right to....just as long as she doesn't drag a baby into it. I still don't think she deserves the media attention. Let her kill herself privately like the rest of the wrist cutters and gun eaters do. I don't wanna witness it.
Jamy

Postby Liv » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:38 pm

Well if anyone doubts Karma, I'm certain we need to only watch the lives of these women to see proof of it.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby shannon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Okay, this was actually on a show called "Strange Sex." Yes, I like to watch those shows and others like Taboo and Hoarders, and so on. Anywho, what I thought was the most intriguing part of the story was the pleasure that each partner said they received by the idea of the lady's complete dependence on her husband. Together, they were working towards the goal of making her bedridden and relying on the husband to care for her for every need. I found this the most fascinating of all. It was interesting to me the dynamics of dominance and submission at play here. She would surrender her life to him and his control over her life. Yet, if you think about it, in another way she would have control over how they lived. By keeping her at home, he would not have to fear that she will go out and cheat. She would be completely reliant upon his care. If he chose not to take care of her, she could do nothing about it. She's totally at his mercy, which would have to be based on an extremely intimate trust. She, on the other hand would be his burden and ultimate responsibility, and keep him from having an outside life. Very interesting. Almost like she is the queen and he is her servant. hmm? I also found it interesting that he is from another culture. Many cultures prize obesity. While health is important, sometimes our standards for beauty are extreme. For instance, on another show I caught the other night, a woman was getting lazor surgery on her vagina just to make it look "younger". I just thought it was all very, very interesting.
shannon
Fire up the Quattro

Postby Jamy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:47 am

This whole thing reminds me of this movie I saw once called "Feed."
Jamy

Postby Liv » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:14 am

If I wasn't leaving on my all-American road trip, I'd have to watch that.

I'm off to In-N-Out on Sunday. Oh, yes... double double people.

In fact I'm taking recommendations for restaurant stops between here and Dallas.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Well if you're going to Texas, you have to do one of those places that has the 5 lb steak that you can have it for free if you eat the entire thing in one sitting. LOL I think you should do a cheesy road food odyssey and document it, starting with one of those horrid peanut logs from Stuckey's.
Jamy

Postby Jamy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:09 pm

I wonder what it's like to be 1000 lbs and having to take a dump? Do they have regular sized poops like anyone else? Or are they super-sized, toilet cloggers? Do they have to have a special toilet? Or do they just use depends? Do Depends even come in a size for 1000 lb people? Inquiring minds want to know.
Jamy

Postby Liv » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:34 am

What goes in, must come out.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:57 pm

Inquiring minds shall be satisfied. Do not read the following within one hour of eating.

There are adult diapers for the obese, as well as commodes (potties) and bottom wiping wands

They're called Bariatric supplies, bariatrics is the branch of medicine that deals with the causes, prevention, and treatment of obesity

I have no information on the size of obese turds, but turds are generally proportional to the amount of food eaten, so I would hypothesise that they would be larger.

Being morbidly obese is a major health issue - and managing human waste from a morbidle obese person is a serious problem.

Gayle Laverne Grinds, 40, died Wednesday, after a failed six-hour effort to dislodge her from the couch in her home. Workers say the home was filthy, and Grinds was too large to get up from the couch to even use the bathroom
Emergency workers had to remove some sliding glass doors and lift the couch, with Grinds still on it, to a trailer behind a pickup truck. Removing her from the couch would be too painful, since her body was grafted to the fabric. After years of staying put, her skin had literally become one with the sofa and had to be surgically removed.

She died at Martin Memorial Hospital South, still attached to the couch. Neighbors say they had no idea Grinds lived at the duplex, though they had seen Thomas and some children outside.
More ...
A Person

Postby Jamy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:21 pm

I remember reading about the "grafted to the sofa" lady. That was horrific. I wouldn't want to ever get like that...it would be like a living hell, I'd imagine. And how can anyone ever hope to have anything even remotely approaching a normal life after something like that? I mean...she died, but a lot of others don't. And it isn't even just morbid obesity...it's any situation that renders a person so far outside the range of "normal" (for lack of a better word). If someone let's their life get to such a state that they're barely even living a human existence, how can they ever recover from that? I'm thinking of those Hoarders shows too. If that thousand pound girl decided she wanted to be slender again what are the true odds that she'd ever succeed? If she did succeed, will she really have a "normal" life?

Those are rhetorical questions AP...no more videos needed. :wink:

But I do think about stuff like that. Seems like there's this invisible line and if you cross it...well...even if you come back, you're never the same again.
Jamy

Postby Liv » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:33 am

If I ever get grafted to a couch, I hope it has vibrator, heat, and a cup holder.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to WTF?