Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Anderson Cooper and "the closet."

What The Funk?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:19 pm

Anderson Cooper says he's "gay, and proud." And I'm wondering if anyone in America cares any more. I know that I'm personally getting tired of weekly announcements of one "celebrity" after another announcing that they are gay, and that they are proud of their sexual orientation.

Sure, there has been a long history of shame associated with being homosexual. I get that. But is there really a cause to start saying you're "proud"? How about "I'm happy with my life, thanks." and leave it at that?

Cooper has a lot on his life to be proud of, to be sure. But his sexual life, I have no interest in... just as I have no interest in the sexual life of ANY person that obeys the common rules of propriety in public. I long for the day when our society just gets over this sexual revelation business, and we can pay attention to things that REALLY matter in life.

Mr. Cooper: good for you. Now just go back to your CNN career and let us not see into your personal life any more. Thanks.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Jamy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:02 pm

Yeah...I hear ya, but when he says he's "proud" what I think he probably means is that he's not ashamed of himself...or that he wasn't closeted because he was ashamed. That's how I take it anyway. Too many years of shame have been associated with homosexuality, so the folks who do come out, want other gays to know that it really isn't anything to be ashamed of.

Well that's my take on it.

Not that I'm surprised...I knew that man was too pretty to be straight.
Jamy

Postby A Person » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:11 am

Well this is where I start agreeing with the likes of Summy. I'm a white straight male. I'm not ashamed, but neither am I proud of it. It's just what I am. But if I said that I was proud to be straight or (even worse) proud to be white, I would sound like a neo-nazi bigot.

There's no shame in being gay, but there's no reason to boast of it either, it's not as if it was a choice or an achievement - was it?
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:32 am

As Jamy said, there's certainly no shame, though there used to be. I'm merely looking forward to the end of this discussion, myself. Maybe it will happen when gays are finally given access to the misery of "real marriage," in spite of all the bigots in the country. Then we can stop bothering everyone about sex, stop seeing news companies parading "headlines" about each new coming out announcement, and get on with life.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Jamy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:33 pm

AP, saying you're proud to be an American doesn't roll to well outside the US either. :|
Jamy

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Being proud of one's country is a perilous matter in the BEST of times... :think:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby A Person » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Jamy wrote:AP, saying you're proud to be an American doesn't roll to well outside the US either. :|

I'm unlikely to say that inside or outside the country

But I am mostly proud of my native and adopted countries
A Person

Postby Jamy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:21 am

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins. You're all going to hell. So is Anderson Cooper.
Jamy

Postby Liv » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:40 am

There seems to be a hot-spot of gayness lately from Obama to Anderson. Heterosexuals display their "proudness" wearing wedding rings, kissing in public, holding hand, not constantly having to determine if they're safe to show affection publicly.

While I wish things were normal and fair, having publicly proud celebs as role models, perhaps capable of swaying public opinion, or even preventing murders or suicides, suggest to me- being proud, and out is a good thing.

For any closeted gays, reading this... I'm a lesbian and proud. Goes to prove anyone can grow up to own a website most of America hates, and have medical bills with tons of school loans. Yes you too can be like me.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:08 am

Liv wrote:For any closeted gays, reading this... I'm a lesbian and proud. Goes to prove anyone can grow up to own a website most of America hates, and have medical bills with tons of school loans. Yes you too can be like me.

Correlation does not imply causation
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:06 am

I sometimes wonder if in regards to talking about sexual matters, if we wouldn't all be better off just talking about being OK with it. I'm hetero, and that shouldn't be any bigger deal than Liv or Cooper or whoever being gay. So long as none of these people step outside of the bounds set by "adult consent" it should be none of anyone's concern, yes?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby A Person » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:58 am

Logic and reason would say so, but the religious can't get over the idea that God is punishing them for permitting others to 'sin'

God's aim is notoriously bad, since he uses disasters (indistinguishable from natural ones) as his tool of retribution.
A Person

Postby Jamy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Not all religious people or churches are like that. There were pastors and people who professed to be Christian who stood up to speak out against Amendment One, this spring.
Jamy

Postby Liv » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:47 pm

A Person wrote:Correlation does not imply causation

Well the bar is set pretty low, so reach high my homo and hetero friends.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:28 am

Liv wrote:
A Person wrote:Correlation does not imply causation

Well the bar is set pretty low, so reach high my homo and hetero friends.

I would, but I'm afraid my pants will fall down.
Jamy

Return to WTF?