Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Texas GOP officially opposes "critical thinking."

What The Funk?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:03 am

Read about this today during my Sunday morning scab of the Intarwebz: The official platform of the Texas Republican Party opposes the teaching in public schools of critical thinking skills. Of course, I have long doubted that much effort was ever expended officially to do such teaching anywhere in the country. But to have it openly stated as a political platform statement... that's another matter entirely.

Naturally, the party officials responding to reactions on this have a story: the item wasn't intended to be in the platform... some committee at the state convention goofed and accidentally sent that sentence alog for final publication. So "please disregard the typo," I guess.

Texas Republican Party wrote:Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

But really, folks need to know more, I think. Like, who presented this pathetic notion to the party convention, how was it received in the initial discussions, and how close did it come to receiving majority approval? I mean, all the while assuming that the story of "accidental" adoption is believed?

This is NOT helping matters in education. Things are bad enough in the realm of public education, I think. To have a major political party in the second-largest state publicly opine that "fixed beliefs" and parental authority are more important than helping students develop higher-order thinking skills -- essentially rendering them unable to function in a complex and diverse society -- is nothing short of a shot to their own foot. On the list of things American education does NOT need right now... this is very close to the top of the heap.

:think:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:33 pm

Considering how Texas, almost was its own country at one point, this doesn't surprise me. If it came out of New York, I'd be really surprised.

I have a theory that says all the batcrap crazy religious stuff derives from Texas. I know it's not necessarily true, but we wouldn't have had Bush, Kennedy never would have been shot, Mexican xenophobia wouldn't be that big of a deal, and this stuff like this crazy story wouldn't matter.

So since Texas couldn't be its own nation, it's decided to quietly conquer the USA and turn it into one giant Texas. Isn't that how a hostile corporate take-over works?

I say we keep the I-30 corridor and Dallas then give the rest of the state back to Texas where the crazies can live in peace if they so choose.... and we as a country can move on.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:00 pm

I think you need to include all the confederate slave holding states. Makes you wonder what the US would be like now if the Southern States had been allowed to secede. I suspect it might have turned out better*. The Confederate States would have collapsed into third world status and The United States would have become a sensible, successful modern country.

*Better for the world, not for the slaves
A Person

Postby Liv » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:05 pm

Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, 1/2 of SC, 1/2 of GA.

I'd include Arizona but that would put New Mexico in a tough spot.

Kentucky won't get along with anyone, so it's best we just hope for the best.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to WTF?