Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Vacations? Heck, people don't even get LUNCH!

What The Funk?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Maybe you've seen the ads from Orbitz, showing Americans stating in manifesto mode that they will "TAKE OUR VACATIONS" again. Don't know about you, but that ad really irks me. Because in the world of corporate office workers or retail workers... pretty much ANY sort of full-time employment in fact... "vacation" is a rather dirty word that can get one into trouble come performance review time. "You took a vacation and didn't ONCE check in on your inbox?"

Now, even the once-standard "lunch hour" is vanishing. I was talking with my son the other day, about how he's having a bit of trouble handling stress in his life, what with a new private-sector job and having just moved into a new apartment... I asked him if he can take walks during the day during his lunch break. He said he gets no such thing. A professional SCIENTIST, mind you! And he is allowed 10 minutes to eat a sandwich and pack of "nabs" in the middle of the day.

And of course, being a mere employee, he has no standing to protest. "Be grateful you have a job!"

American workers need to re-start the labor movement. I'm not talking about "having fun on Labor Day." I'm talking about getting together to force the owners of this country to admit that workers deserve a few minimal benefits besides a paycheck in return for actually doing the work that results in company revenues. That means -- strikes. It means -- RESPECTING WORKER PICKETS when there is a strike. No company owner will voluntarily give a worker a penny more than necessary, and by gosh... VACATIONS and LUNCH HOURS are in that list!

:angry-screaming:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:22 pm

I'm very interested to see the parallels between America and Europe on matters like this. I have a shot at an internship (interview next week), so if I get it, expect some opinion from me.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to WTF?