Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

"Legitimate rape" rarely causes pregnancy

What The Funk?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:56 am

From a rather interesting expert on gynecology (that being a GOP senate candidate... duh), apparently "legitimate rape" rarely results in pregnancy. This, in response to a question about whether abortion should be allowed in cases of rape.

"First of all, from what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," Akin said of rape-induced pregnancy in an interview with KTVI. A clip of the interview was posted online by the liberal super PAC American Bridge.

"If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down," Akin continued. He did not provide an explanation for what constituted "legitimate rape."

I'm sure that the medical community will be rather surprised at this. And of course the legal community might be as interested to learn that they need to be concerned about the difference between "legitimate" and (I guess) "fake" rapes.

But of course, this was a dodge of the actual question. If a female IS impregnated as a result of rape, would this MAN force the rape victim to carry the baby to term against her will? Well in fact the answer is "yes," as the reporter tells later in the article... but who cares? People will be talking about "legitimate rape" for the coming weeks. The Distract-a-tron is working over-time, as usual...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby A Person » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:00 am

Those ways the female body has to try to shut that whole thing down - they're called emergency contraception - or abortion.

If safe legal abortions are banned then the USA will go back to unsafe illegal ones and women will die from them all over again. Even nice girls, legitimately raped by GOP congressmen
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:48 pm

Boy -- this guy is SO being thrown under the bus by his Republican buddies.

But of course, the real story isn't that Aiken is a rock stupid poster boy for foot-in-mouth disease. It's that when it comes down to the nitty-gritty... the GOP has the exact same attitude that he is being reviled for.

Wonder how many rape victims ("legitimate or not...) are voting republican this year?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby A Person » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:36 pm

He even makes Limbaugh sound reasonable

there was Limbaugh on Tuesday, dedicating most of his two-hour syndicated program to persuading staunchly pro-life Missouri Congressman Todd Akin to assist in “saving the country” by abandoning his Senate candidacy.

Akin’s now infamous remarks — including the suggestion that women are biologically encoded to prevent pregnancy in cases of “legitimate rape” — were “absurd,” “stupid” and will ultimately provide the Democrats with powerful ammunition in November’s election unless Akin drops out, said Limbaugh.
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:43 pm

I saw the headline on CNN that said that Akin "lives in a parallel universe."

Which makes me wonder... Exactly HOW does he differ from Rush or the rest of the Republican Party, now?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby A Person » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:40 am

He doesn't differ from the GOP platform at all. The GOP opposes all abortions, even in rape cases. He's just trying to justify it in a stupid way

A Person

Postby A Person » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:30 pm

I bet Todd Akin thinks legitimately raped women can't get pregnant because the screaming frightens the stork away.
A Person

Return to WTF?