Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Pity the poor people facing tax raises

What The Funk?

Postby A Person » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:36 pm

The Wall Street Journal has this to say about how much your taxes will go up

In the nick of time, and amid much political drama, Congress passed the American Taxpayer Relief Act on New Year's Day—averting massive tax increases for nearly all earners that were slated to take effect Jan. 1.

Even so, millions of people soon will feel something less than relief from the new law.

The bill approved in Congress to avert the fiscal cliff would bring the first major tax increase on high earners in 20 years. Laura Saunders breaks down how new tax increases will impact across different tax brackets. Photo: AP.

While the top 1% of taxpayers will bear the biggest burden, many other families, affluent and poor, will pay more as well.

And they have this infographic of all these sad poor people facing an insecure future

PoorPeople.jpg

First there's the poor retired couple, scraping by on only $180,000 - but since they're borderline poverty stricken their taxes don;t go up - but what about single moms barely coping with raising two kids and a pitiful income of $260,000 - she has to pay an outrageous $3,356 more in taxes! But this is peanuts compared to the working guy, married with four kids on his starter salary of $650,000. This poor stiff has to scrape together an additional $21,608 more in taxes.

No wonder they all look so sad.

Given that the poorest of their examples earned more than four times the median houshold income (and the least poor earned over 13 times) one wonders about how grounded in reality the Wall Street Journal is.

I would imagine 80% of Americans would hapily trade incomes and tax burdens with them, and look a damn sight happier about it.
A Person

Postby Liv » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Say what?

Single mom making a 1/4 mil?

The most this two mom family has ever made, combined, was just under 50G.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:46 pm

It's truly pathetic. We went to visit our relatives in Fayetteville the other week, and eventually, the conversation rolled around to the guv'mint. These folks aren't doing too bad, both working in support jobs at the local hospital. But they were upset that their paychecks were a bit lower already. Guess they'll have to cut back on purchases of cigarettes or beer.

But getting back to that infographic... WTF?? I suppose those examples are fairly common among people who read the bloody WSJ. As you say, my wife and I want to know where the HELL you get into that demographic, cause it's sure as hell not anywhere around here.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:00 pm

I have to say, the comments on this article are stunning. Last I looked, only one person had written that the examples were far out of line with the general population. Of course the rest of the comments are of the general Faux cast: the rich are innocent victims, they all worked hard and took big risks to get their wealth.

All the more remarkable , because only subscribers can comment.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Return to WTF?