Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Don't you feel much safer now?

What The Funk?

Postby A Person » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:47 pm

The recent uproar over guns has the same tired arguments coming from the right. About how it's a dangerous place out there and you need to defend yourself. Illegal immigrants are coming for you. The guvmint is coming for you. The police can't/won't protect you. You must have a gun and you must be ready to use it or you're going to die.

The climate of fear has been deliberately invoked and fanned by the right wing media, so this rather nasty little story shouldn't be a surprise.

A group of young Hispanic friends drove to pick up another friend - and their GPS took them to the wrong house. After they drove their car onto the drive, the house owner, (an elderly veteran and church missionary) was so afraid that he took his hand gun and shot it in the air. The driver immediately started to back out of the drive, and wound down the window to apologize. So the church missionary shot him in the head.

The climate of fear had this man afraid for his property and his life because some Hispanic youths came to the wrong house. Must be a 'Home Invasion'! This fine upstanding citizen had a gun and wasn't afraid to use it.

Now a young man is dead and the missionary is charged with murder and is facing spending his declining years in jail.

Don't you feel so much safer knowing that good, respectable citizens are armed and ready to defend their property?

Source ...
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:37 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Read the story. Kind of remarkable that he shot someone that was sitting still in his car, and then held the other people in the car at gunpoint until the police arrived. His claim that he thought he was fending off an invasion of his home is ridiculous. What made him think that the "furrin-looking" people in the car were invading his home while they were just sitting in his driveway?

I'm irresistibly reminded of RD, and his claim that his heavy arms are intended only to "protect human life." Is this the sort of thing that may be in his future if some stranger pulls into his driveway after sunset by mistaking the address on his place out in the county? As I said before, I hate the idea of this sort of mistake happening to anyone. Not only because it would wrongfully end a "human life," but because the one who thought he was "defending his property" or his family would finally and irrevocably find out the reality of what it means to kill another human being... something that no one ought to ever experience.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby A Person » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:01 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:I'm irresistibly reminded of RD, and his claim that his heavy arms are intended only to "protect human life."

I'd respond:

"WAR IS PEACE," "FREEDOM IS SLAVERY," "IGNORANCE IS KNOWLEDGE."

but 1984 is so passe.
A Person

Postby Liv » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 pm

I've been contemplating catching and killing my neighbors dog after he stole my cell phone that UPS tried to deliver and ate it.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to WTF?