Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Oklahoma "typhoid mary" dentist and regulation

What The Funk?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:40 am

I was reading a story today about this dentist in Oklahoma named Harrington (no relation) that potentially infected 7000 patients with HIV and hepatitis. It's a scary story for sure... but then I got to this:

The dentistry board launched its probe after one of Harrington's patients came down with hepatitis C. That patient originally tested positive for HIV, too, but a subsequent test came back negative, the Tulsa Health Department said.

While other states conduct random inspections of dentist offices with some regularity, Rogers told the Tulsa World newspaper that dentists' offices in Oklahoma are inspected only after a complaint is filed.

Say WHAT?!?

How could ANY regulatory office exist with such a rule? What's the point of having regulations in the first place if enforcement is purely reactionary? This story shows the folly of having this Tea Party BS attitude of "getting out of the way of businesses" and letting the :invisible hand of the market" handle weeding out inferior business practices. What that has gotten Oklahoma is -- at the VERY least -- possibly hundreds of people infected, spreading infections for months without even dreaming they could be in danger.

The natural question to ask now is... how many other dentist offices are in similar or worse shape than this guy? There's no way to know, because the government of Oklahoma is so into letting the "free market" to the job it's SUPPOSED to do. Will the people of Oklahoma care about this? I'm looking forward to seeing if they do.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:43 pm

In my opinion, Republicans' laissez faire attitude, and capitalistic mind-set is only part of the problem.

It's a new level of laziness, and disregard for the personal welfare of others that truly bothers me in this country. I don't believe capitalism is solely an evil concept, but the American style version of it is far different than versions in Europe. However, combine it with individuals who "don't care", greedy, and are self absorbed by their own personal interests (as many Americans [especially business owners are]) and you end up with this almost criminal behavior.

Private businesses (in general and from my experience) do not operate in this same fashion in Europe. Even if you go into a fast-food in Brussels to eat, you're family while you're there (technically better than family). People trust, and care about the service and quality they give. I've never been to a dentist abroad, but I suspect it's far better than our medical approach here in the US.

Hell, I'm going on 2-3 years of having something growing inside of me, and despite the fact there are numerous symptoms I'm told time after time, there's nothing wrong. So now I have to live with this demon because they're too damn lazy to figure it out, or because they're too damn stupid.

Okay, I'm off on a rant and I'll stop now.

I mean, then again, what does it say about a country who thinks only the wealthy deserve health-care? We're an evil nation, the anti-thesis of "our" Christian values so many cling to. We're hypocrites and sinners who deserve the Hell we're creating.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby laila8 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:08 am

There is a lot of difference between dental hygienist and assistant. Both have different duties.

[moderator edit: url to self promoting web site removed]
laila8

Postby A Person » Fri May 17, 2013 12:58 pm

There is a lot of difference between a banana and a motorcycle too. Which also has zero relevance to the topic. Neither assistants nor hygienists were mentioned in the article, just the dentist
A Person

Return to WTF?