Your opinion on news, and current events.

Jeb Bush gives his ideas on immigration

Jeb bush was speaking on the subject of national immigration reform. After all, he's a Florida governor, VERY familiar with the issues in a state with lots of immigration issues at the forefront. One point he thinks needs to be kept in mind: Immigrants are more fertile than Americans.

So that's something to consider: we don't want to be overrun with brown babies, now DO we??
SouthernFriedInfidel

WE NEED MELANIN!!!

As far as reproduction.... so do rednecks (over-produce).

What we need is a proper education program that attempts to educate and thwart unwanted pregnancies in this country, including education of birth-control, and the morning after pill.
Liv

Wouldn't hurt to engage in some form of social maturation program that informs men that there's no real need to prove their virility to the world via the number of babies fathered. Quality over quantity should be a father's mantra any more.
SouthernFriedInfidel

From what I've studied, men are a dead end over controlling population growth.

Your hormone induced sex-fits are difficult to rationalize to.

Women on the other hand are the key to controlling reproduction.

Teach them the benefits of birth control, condoms, and morning-after pills... describe in detail, how effed up parenthood is in their middle twenties (and how they'll never have a life), and encourage planned, financially sound planning of families, and you'll accomplish a ton more.

But honestly it's the big picture that needs to change.

For instance, in Brussels, it was typical to find a condom vending dispenser on the corners of the street.

Can you imagine trying to suggest that to local government?

But that's what we need.

You know why unplanned pregnancies happen? Probably a ton of them happened because couples didn't want to drive to CVS for a box of condoms.

We need free condoms everywhere.

We should pass them out at church, work, have them on the corner.

Make sex fun, and reproduction an educated decision.
Liv

I'm probably a rare sort of man... I always took the responsibility of birth control seriously, always respected the decisions of my wife regarding sex... tried to be at all times a supporter for my family. Some people have notions that I can't even comprehend in this field, let alone consider accepting.

Oh well.
SouthernFriedInfidel

For some women, marriage is a license of a life-time of rape by her husband.

We're all still very much animals. Bravo to you to be evolved.
Liv

I agree with this approach except for this bit: describe in detail, how effed up parenthood is in their middle twenties (and how they'll never have a life)
Which would be a mistake. parenthood in your middle twenties is way better than parenthood in your middle teens or middle forties. Parents who choose to have children do have to trade some of their personal freedoms and become less self-centred and more caring - in other words they become parents and not overgrown children.

The key word there is 'choose'. We shouldn't be telling anyone whether or when they should decide to have children, simply that it is their choice and under their control. Mid-twenties may not have been ideal for you, it is for many. Postponing it presents other problems when your career is becoming established and late parenthood (45+) has its own set of issues. There are times when you regret some of the sacrifices you made by being a parent, but that's part of being human.

As for condom vending machines, don't rely on someone else! Before your kids are of an age when they are likely to become sexually active, buy a large box of condoms, open it and leave them where you know the kids can find them. Replenish as necessary. It's best if the box is always a little over half full. That way the kids have access without having the embarrassment of asking. It's way better than keeping cigarettes around for them to get hooked on, or guns for them to play with and shoot their siblings.
A Person

Wait... what? We don't want to spread the word that sex results in pleasure... then EVERYONE, including immigrants, will want it!
:twisted:
SouthernFriedInfidel

I'm just saying men seem to (although not exclusive to their gender) have more "drive" than women.
Liv

And for some reason, people like Pat Robertson seem to think that gays have more "drive" than straights. Myself, I tend to think it's nonsense to generalize in matters like this. I could be wrong, but I'll stick with my view until some real study is presented.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Ah now I'm getting the thrust of your argument. However despite what sexist gender stereotypes may suggest, unwanted pregnancies are mostly not the result of just male drive, there is a female involved who is at least receptive and in many cases enthusiastic.

Prior to contraception, women were vulnerable, there is a high cost and commitment to pregnancy, whereas insemination is cheap. Many of the stereotypical pre-requisites for sex by women were evolutionary tests to determine if the male is a good provider and likely to remain committed. Fancy meal, expensive gifts, lots of attention and grooming - check!

The sudden availability of the pill in the sixties was a huge liberation for women who could acknowledge their sexuality without risk of pregnancy.
A Person

No, I fully agree.

My point is that, however, trying to rationalize to men the importance of planning and other aspects, when they're under the influence of testosterone, is like trying to convince a smoker to quit smoking in the middle of a cigarette.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is men are hormone-handicapped at controlling sex-drive (some more than others) by self-control.

Obviously there is a spectrum here, but I think in general it's much easier to educate women without the (generally greater) chemical induced "urges" of men.

While it does require two to tango, I think what I'm saying is women (in general) are choosing whether or not to have sex. For some men it's a need, like a hunger, where they may make poor decisions rather than starve.
Liv

Return to My Opinion