·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Bible verses banned at football games

by SouthernFriedInfidel | Published on October 2nd, 2009, 12:13 pm | Religion
Cheerleaders holding up Bible verses. Yeah, that's gotta be a really high-octane show... But it's being banned now. I imagine one day soon the cheerleaders will be wearing something a little more risque than poodle skirts, then all hell will break loose.

One last thought here: Here's a sample verse they used in the past.
"Commit to the Lord, whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."

I would venture to guess they didn't show that following a loss on Friday nights... :twisted:

They didn't ban the igns from the game. They banned the cheerleaders from displaying them. The signs are still there but in a designated area now.

I thought the populalrity of this topic was interesting indeed. :|
Interesting.jpg
Interesting.jpg (3.92 KiB) Viewed 543 times
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
October 2nd, 2009, 2:06 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:They didn't ban the igns from the game. They banned the cheerleaders from displaying them. The signs are still there but in a designated area now.

Good point. Thanks for the correction.
I thought the populalrity of this topic was interesting indeed. :|
Interesting.jpg

I noticed that. Fun. :dance:
October 2nd, 2009, 2:35 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
(glad I'm not colour blind. Hooey, is that a nasty confirmation code design..)

A better article about this was in a Chattanooga paper - http://bit.ly/JzDK7

If the quotes are meant as team motivation, or aimed at getting the audience motivated, there are better quotes the girls could have put on their banners. Deliberately choosing bible related ones is against public school rules.

I do like the fact that the footballs would have been ripping those banners to shreds when running through them, though. That warms the atheist cockles of my heart.. heh.
October 2nd, 2009, 6:14 pm
1minion

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:

If this was true I'd be crackin awesome.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
October 4th, 2009, 9:09 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:

If this was true I'd be crackin awesome.

Thus is the problem with mistranslated scripture.

KJV: "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established."

I think you could derive a huge difference in meaning there between the two verses.
October 4th, 2009, 4:11 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:Thus is the problem with mistranslated scripture.
I think you could derive a huge difference in meaning there between the two verses

This is the problem with scripture, period.

It has to be translated, interpreted, reinterpreted, retranslated, selectively ignored and reassessed in light of modern sensibilities. Even then different translators will come up with different meanings.

Some translations and mistranslations by 'experts':

NIV© Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.
NAS© Commit your works to the LORD And your plans will be established.
GWT© Entrust your efforts to the LORD, and your plans will succeed.
KJV Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.
AKJ Commit your works to the LORD, and your thoughts shall be established.
ASV Commit thy works unto Jehovah, And thy purposes shall be established.
BBE Put your works into the hands of the Lord, and your purposes will be made certain.
DRB Lay open thy works to the Lord: and thy thoughts shall be directed.
DBY Commit thy works unto Jehovah, and thy thoughts shall be established.
ERV Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.
WBS Commit thy works to the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.
WEB Commit your deeds to Yahweh, and your plans shall succeed.
YLT Roll unto Jehovah thy works, And established are thy purposes,

Either way in this case the meaning is pretty clear and it doesn't work.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
October 4th, 2009, 7:44 pm
A Person

I'll go back to Jesus the day someone shows up at my door with a job in Cardiff, and a 3 bed flat with a nice salary.

frak, I'll become a nun to get the heck out here.
October 4th, 2009, 9:12 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Hm. Let's do our own translation of Prov 16:3.

In Hebrew, the words are as follows, I'll add the Strong's concordance translations to see what we can see:

galal - to roll, roll away, roll down, roll together. This word occurs 18 times in the OT. Only once is it translated as "commit" in the KJV.

ma`aseh - deed, work. Used 235 times in the OT. Pretty straightforward usage, according to my source.

YHWH - God's name.

machashabah - thought, device. Used 56 times in the OT. Seems to mostly be used in terms of thoughts or plans.

kuwn - to be firm, be stable, be established. Used 219 times in the OT. Appears to be a rather complex verb indeed.

So the best I can make of it is "Roll together your deeds to (or perhaps for) God and your thoughts will be stable."

It might make sens, but there's a huge amount of wiggle room for sure. This is yet another example of the problems with language. There is no 1-to-1 correspondence between words, particularly when it comes to verbs. This is why communicating via writings only once and then expecting people for all time to "get it" is about the worst paradigm for "revelation" you could possibly put together.

Surely an all-powerful and all-wise God could have put something better together. I can imagine a LOT better ways to communicate with my creations, were I in that boat.
October 5th, 2009, 3:44 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:Surely an all-powerful and all-wise God could have put something better together. I can imagine a LOT better ways to communicate with my creations, were I in that boat.

He did. He gave Christians the HOLY SPIRIT.
October 5th, 2009, 9:12 am
BecauseHeLives

Sorry, couldn't resist. Ever since this thread started this has been the image in my head...

touchdownJC.jpg
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
October 5th, 2009, 10:14 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Return to Religion