·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Can religion answer all or most of today's problems?

by A Person | Published on January 1st, 2010, 2:40 am | Religion
Can religion answer all or most of today's problems?

Not according to 45% of the US population. The rest either think it's 'largely old fashioned and out of date' or otherwise not the answer.

In other good news, Christianity continues its steady decline with 44% saying that religion is not important in their lives and only 78% identifying as Christian. (of course only 5% would qualify as True Christians according to BHL)

gallup wrote:This Christmas season, 78% of Americans identify with some form of Christian religion, a proportion that has been declining in recent decades. The major reason for this decline has been an increase in the percentage of Americans claiming no religious identity, now at 13% of all adults.

Eventually, people will realize that in fact religion causes more problems in today's world than it can possibly solve. My only hope regarding this is that the general realization of that truth in this country comes before it's too late.
January 1st, 2010, 5:56 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Prophesy is being fulfilled. Not hard to figure out that there is much more delusion going on in the world. Too many people have a religion instead of a relationship with Jesus Christ. Religion will let you down. Jesus will not.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
January 1st, 2010, 11:33 am
BecauseHeLives

Wouldn't the expectation be to follow the trends of Europe?
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
January 1st, 2010, 12:41 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

A Person wrote:Not according to 45% of the US population.

Logical Fallacy: argumentum ad populum
January 1st, 2010, 11:22 pm
royaldiadem

royaldiadem wrote:

Not since I am reporting the change in beliefs in the US and not arguing anything other than that fewer people now believe that religion is the answer. :roll:

And since it is less than 50% wouldn't that make it an argumentum ad unpopulum (but becoming more populum)
Claiming that religion is the answer would be argumentum ad pablum
January 2nd, 2010, 6:32 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:
royaldiadem wrote:Logical Fallacy: argumentum ad populum

Not since I am reporting the change in beliefs in the US and not arguing anything other than that fewer people now believe that religion is the answer. :roll:

As usual, RD fails to understand statements from his "enemy" that normally would be rather easy to parse. My guess is that he prefers to find some way to make outsiders wrong on every statement they make, regardless of whether his claim of their wrongness can hold any water at all. He for some reason seems to feel that spinning outsiders' statements with semi-intellectual, ill-fitting words is helpful to him and his "mission." How he might come to such a conclusion is anyone's guess
January 2nd, 2010, 9:36 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

What is very interesting is the difference between the 78% who identify as christian and the 57% who don't think religion is the answer to our problems. This 20% may be nominal or social Christians but presumably are actually atheist or agnostic. At a minimum they believe their god to be either impotent or uncaring. If the social stigma that exists in the US that atheists are evil, immoral people can be countered this group might be approachable.
January 3rd, 2010, 2:45 am
A Person

A Person wrote:What is very interesting is the difference between the 78% who identify as christian and the 57% who don't think religion is the answer to our problems. This 20% may be nominal or social Christians but presumably are actually atheist or agnostic. At a minimum they believe their god to be either impotent or uncaring. If the social stigma that exists in the US that atheists are evil, immoral people can be countered this group might be approachable.

Whatever the case it is with people who believe in a god that doesn't affect the world's affairs, I have no conflict with them. Because I would expect no negative interactions with them, generally. I've met plenty of Christians of several denominations, some of them religious leaders of varying types, who have no issues with atheists. I see no reason to get on the cases of such people, not while there are others who are working to actively destroy the secular nature of our governmenet and dismantle science in favor of ignorance.
January 4th, 2010, 4:47 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

A Person wrote:
royaldiadem wrote:

Not since I am reporting the change in beliefs :roll:

Like you are NOT arguing for a position :roll:
January 4th, 2010, 11:05 am
royaldiadem

Return to Religion