·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Iran executes "enemies of God."

by SouthernFriedInfidel | Published on February 12th, 2010, 10:21 am | Religion
My Dad would not have been the least bit surprised. Iran's government, lead by a religious "Supreme Leader" and built as an Islamic Republic, has labeled some of its opponents "enemies of God" and executed them.

Back when the original revolution toppled the Shah, I remember my sister and Dad having a conversation about this. She supported the Ayatollah as a leader for the common people of Iran (he had been living in exile in Paris, and she had been living there several years as well), and she thought that he would usher in a new, peaceful era for the oppressed people there. Dad countered that it was never a good idea to give a religious leader political power. They ALWAYS abuse that power.

Now, the authorities have taken to dealing with protests by saying that their opponents are "enemies of God." This is hardly a surprising development. I always agreed with Dad on this matter and figured this move was inevitable. From what I've seen in history, it's pretty much par for the course.

What gets me about this story is that it contains yet another lesson for those who would support America's Christian leaders in their efforts to grab political power here. Is there any reason to doubt that an officially Christian government here would be any less oppressive and jealous of its power than the Islamic government we see in Iran today?

Shouldn't God be in court to face the accused?
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
February 12th, 2010, 11:42 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:Shouldn't God be in court to face the accused?

We'll all stand in God's court one day and we won't be able to point any fingers.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
February 12th, 2010, 12:11 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:

We'll all stand in God's court one day and we won't be able to point any fingers.

Do they cut off our hands?
February 12th, 2010, 12:27 pm
Liv

It's not much different from the Salam Witch trials/hangings which were politically motivated religiously justified killings. They are only about 300 years behind the US. That happened in the 1690's and then a 100 years later we had a revolution because people didn't want to live in a theocratic 'Christian Nation' anymore. I wonder how long it will take for Iran.
February 12th, 2010, 3:56 pm
Cat's Staff

BecauseHeLives wrote:

That doesn't bother me in the slightest, it's facing a deluded person who thinks he knows what God wants that does.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
February 13th, 2010, 7:45 am
A Person

A Person wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

That doesn't bother me in the slightest, it's facing a deluded person who thinks he knows what God wants that does.

It's right there is His word.

And yes, it will bother you MORE than the slightest.
February 13th, 2010, 10:54 am
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:It's right there is His word.

And yes, it will bother you MORE than the slightest.

You never know, A.P. might be able to convince the jury it was a test for you.
February 15th, 2010, 4:16 pm
Liv

Return to Religion