·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Apple, the new religion.

by Liv | Published on June 24th, 2010, 2:38 pm | Religion
SFI is doomed into ridicule on this one... an excerpt from my July/August issue of 'Fast Company':

When Martin Lindstrom, a brand consultant and author of Buyology: The Truth and Lies About Why We Buy, examined those brains under a functional magnetic-resonance-imaging scanner, he discovered that Apple devotees are indistinguishable from those committed to Jesus.

Curious. I loathe anything apple. I've owned a few of their products and found them restrictive, unappealing and over-priced. I tend to own open source, modifiable P.C.s and alternative hardware that can be upgraded rather than disposed of. Then again, I'm not big on religion either....

While this may describe some Apple buyers, I don't consider myself to be keen on their products for no good reason. Which is the definition of religion.

While Apple's stuff is more expensive than comparable PC crap, I find the experience of using it to generally be worry free, which suits my needs very well, thank you. So I pay a bit more for the hardware... if there are "restrictions," I expect they are restrictions only in the eyes of transistor-loving geeks that love "bare metal" programming. Myself, I want to enjoy my machines and use them for something other than programming.
June 24th, 2010, 2:47 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Which step is denial?

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray Steve Jobs my soul to keep,
If I die before I wake
I pray my I-pod doesn't break.
June 24th, 2010, 8:42 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I think my Apple itouch is great, but only after I removed all those nasty restrictions by Jailbreaking it.
Love the hardware, but hate the software. Does this mean I would have liked Jesus as a person, but hated what he stood for?
June 25th, 2010, 1:06 am
smiler125

I seriously don't see what's so bad about Apple software. I mean, I have some frustrations with it at times, but no more so than I do with Micro$haft. And since I'm used to Apple's normal interface practices, it really isn't bothersome to me.
June 25th, 2010, 6:27 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Liv wrote:SFI is doomed into ridicule on this one... an excerpt from my July/August issue of 'Fast Company':

When Martin Lindstrom, a brand consultant and author of Buyology: The Truth and Lies About Why We Buy, examined those brains under a functional magnetic-resonance-imaging scanner, he discovered that Apple devotees are indistinguishable from those committed to Jesus.

Curious. I loathe anything apple. I've owned a few of their products and found them restrictive, unappealing and over-priced. I tend to own open source, modifiable P.C.s and alternative hardware that can be upgraded rather than disposed of. Then again, I'm not big on religion either....

Well, I agree with you on one thing here...to a point. I like open source too. Are there any linux/bsd/unix users/enthusiasts here? Those of us who are computer savvy enough understand the benefits of open source. However, the average family with a kid or two that use M$ Winbloze at home is used in schools and the workplace and sometimes neccessitates to use M$ for compaitibilty's sake. For the most part, they are clueless to open source and quite frankly don't have time to fiddle and tweak with open source to get some things to work, let alone keeping M$ Winbloze working. I have used open source os' like Red Hat, Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Suse for a long time. As far as linux goes, it has come a long way. In my opinion, Ubuntu is the best, most user friendly distro out there. I have heard Mint is a good one too. Once my kids are grown and out of the house and I retire, I will dump M$ and go to open source. As you stated, I can buy off the shelf computer hardware and build my own. As far as Apple goes, yeah, they are a little more pricey and proprietary. But for busy professionals who want a stable platform (the Mac OS is based on BSD, a type or unix) , which very stable and secure, more so than M$ Winbloze, and don't have time to tweak open source, then Apple is the way to go.
The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of the republic; since it offers a strong moral check against usurpation and arbitrary power of the rulers. - U.S. Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution 1833
June 25th, 2010, 8:27 am
thesumofyourfears
Freedom Lover

No no no, you have it all backwards Liv. "Hipster" is the religion, Apple products are the symptoms.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
June 25th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

I had a religious discussion with a Maccie last w/e.

We all looked at his iPad and then the discussion got around to iPods. When I said I wasn't a fan of iPods he demanded to know if I had ever bought one and used it, when I said no and started to explain why he declared until I had owned one I could not understand how wonderful they were

It reminded me of some of BHL's posts where he says you have to believe before you can understand.

I excused myself and went off and lectured someone on the true religion of the balance between hops and malt and made fun of his heretical Bud Lite.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
June 25th, 2010, 2:14 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:
I excused myself and went off and lectured someone on the true religion of the balance between hops and malt and made fun of his heretical Bud Lite.

Praise be upon Pint.
June 25th, 2010, 2:35 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Sanjuro wrote:No no no, you have it all backwards Liv. "Hipster" is the religion, Apple products are the symptoms.

Oh that sounds so much better. I'd rather be called "hipster" than "grandpa..." :lol:
June 25th, 2010, 2:38 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Hipsterputs you firmly in great grandpa Hepcat's territory
June 25th, 2010, 2:43 pm
A Person

Well I own a nano.... or should I say Shannon does. We use it for awhile but it's just too much of a pain in the butt to transfer files too, swap between computers and all that. I want drag and drop... not install bloody itunes, enter my password, told the library doesn't match, etc... and so on.

Look it's simple... I got MP3, I press left mouse button, drag onto MP3 player, disconnect and go running.... that's simple and I can get one from Family Dollar for $20 not $299 for the Apple version.... geez.
June 25th, 2010, 7:56 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:Curious. I loathe anything apple. I've owned a few of their products and found them restrictive, unappealing and over-priced. I tend to own open source, modifiable P.C.s and alternative hardware that can be upgraded rather than disposed of. Then again, I'm not big on religion either....

I couldn't agree more. :shock:
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
June 25th, 2010, 9:16 pm
BecauseHeLives

Yeah, I have a 16 GB Zen with a 16 gb SD flash card, it's about 3 years old now.

The sound quality is excellent, it supports a huge range of formats, it looks like a flash drive on any computer (standard mini USB cable) so file copy is just drag and drop - no software installs.

I don't have good ears anymore but I could tell the difference in sound between it and the iPod with a good pair of Sennheiser ear buds.

But it's not cool because it uses buttons not a touch screen (so you can operate it by feel when driving). :roll:
June 25th, 2010, 9:21 pm
A Person

I have a Creative Zen Vision and it plays Divx files, which was one of my main issues with the Itouch. It's easy to throw files onto it without installing additional software- if only the screen was bigger.
June 26th, 2010, 2:36 am
smiler125

Return to Religion