·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

One Nation, Indivisible

by A Person | Published on June 26th, 2010, 10:20 am | Religion

North Carolina Secular Association
The inspiring words "one nation indivisible" is the way the original Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892. It defined the nation as a melting pot to which people from all backgrounds and beliefs could contribute. No American was excluded in that statement.

When the phrase "under God" was inserted into the Pledge in 1954, it was a direct and deliberate insult to all Americans who do not believe in a monotheistic God and all Americans who believe in the founding ideals of this country not to establish religion.

It is ironic -- and sad -- that the words "under God" were used to divide the indivisible.

Two years later, in 1956, Congress passed an act to adopt a new national motto, this motto would supersede our former de facto national motto, the motto that our founders had given us, the motto that had served this nation well for over 150 years. Instead of the all-inclusive "E Pluribus Unum" -- Latin for "Out of Many, One" -- our new national motto became "In God We Trust," which again excludes anyone that doesn't believe in a monotheistic God.

I bet if you ask most conservative Christians they will tell you 'under God' is in the Constitution and not a McCarthy era corruption. Just like the money motto.

Indeed, this is the case. They ignore that fact, just as they ignore all facts that are presented to them that are inconvenient to their pre-defined world view. There is not a lot of intellectual honesty to be found among the unthinking horde. At least, not so long as they are discussing things that touch on their faith.
June 26th, 2010, 7:30 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Well it didn't take long for the God crowd to do the "moral" thing and vandalize other people's property.

Actually, I'm surprised it took this long. :roll:
June 28th, 2010, 12:16 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Okay cool... We knew this was going to happen... and apparently they have money for the billboard... cannot they install some cctv cameras to catch the assholes red handed?
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
June 30th, 2010, 1:08 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Oh I expect that they could, but how often does billboard vandalism happen? It wouldn't be considered a worthwhile business expense unless it was a more common problem, I bet.

What gets me is how many people are upset by this... and comparing that with the number and volume of howls I'd expect were a church billboard to be similarly vandalized.
June 30th, 2010, 2:08 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

No I mean, the advertisers.....

I mean, if I were going to pop the $2-$5000 dollars for a Greensboring billboard, one must assume it would get vandalized.... I'd definitely get one of those deer motion camera boxes and get the billboard company's permission to pop it near the ladder.... it just makes sense.

I mean I can't believe these people didn't expect it, so they understood that they were just throwing away the money?
July 1st, 2010, 9:50 am
Liv

They're not throwing away money, the vandalism helps make the point - very neatly. Religion is divisive.

I'm sure they expected it
July 1st, 2010, 9:55 am
A Person

The point is obvious though. We know Christians can do and act as they choose, and in the end as long as they say "not it" when it's over... it's all good then. The point here should be to show that these "Christians" who did this are criminals, and we must separate those who are good and religious, and those who are bad and religious... because they're not the same thing.
July 1st, 2010, 10:03 am
Liv

Liv wrote:we must separate those who are good and religious, and those who are bad and religious...

unfortunately religion makes good people do bad things

Steven Weinberg wrote:Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."
July 1st, 2010, 10:16 am
A Person

Very apt quote indeed.
July 1st, 2010, 10:33 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

I've always asked religious people not to judge me, we should expect no less of ourselves in judging them. Just because they identify as Christian, Muslims, Jewish, etc... doesn't mean they're bad, or do the bad things the religion or other people in the religion are responsible for.
July 1st, 2010, 3:35 pm
Liv

Just to balance this out... Vandalism seems to be a two way road...
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
July 6th, 2010, 7:21 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

See, this was just vandalism, not editorializing, like the first story.
July 6th, 2010, 7:40 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

It does have the redeeming virtue of being funny
July 6th, 2010, 8:18 am
A Person

Plus philosphical. If you remember Jesus was a fisher of men, so the one that got away must be SFI who presumably is at least that big.
July 6th, 2010, 8:20 am
A Person

A Person wrote:It does have the redeeming virtue of being funny

Can't argue that. Not to mention its funny on a couple of levels.
July 6th, 2010, 8:21 am
Sanjuro

Now, we have battling billboards here in North Carolina. Sure looks like they loves to have divisions in this "indivisible" country.
July 8th, 2010, 8:41 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:Now, we have battling billboards here in North Carolina. Sure looks like they loves to have divisions in this "indivisible" country.

You know, the Nazi slogan in WWII was "God is with us". Just sayin...
July 8th, 2010, 8:47 am
Sanjuro

gottmituns.jpg
gottmituns.jpg (30.2 KiB) Viewed 438 times
July 8th, 2010, 8:55 am
A Person

So who is up for some late-night graffiti-ing?
July 8th, 2010, 11:24 am
Liv

Sanj and I were just commenting about an electronic billboard we saw the other day and not being able to deface that because the messages cycle through. I figured it would just look like a blond has been at your computer monitor with the whiteout to fix her typos.
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
July 8th, 2010, 11:58 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

And you haven't found out how to hack the source?
July 8th, 2010, 3:11 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:And you haven't found out how to hack the source?

That's a good idea...
July 8th, 2010, 3:46 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:
A Person wrote:And you haven't found out how to hack the source?

That's a good idea...

Zombies ahead?
July 8th, 2010, 10:16 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

July 8th, 2010, 10:25 pm
A Person

Return to Religion