·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Christian gets hugged by a man in his underwear

by SouthernFriedInfidel | Published on July 1st, 2010, 7:27 am | Religion
Seems as though there are some Christians out there who don't much groove to that business of judging their neighbors.

Kind of nice to see that such folks still walk the streets, and it's rather nice to see them posting their thoughts on the internet.

Very good post SFI. I really think we don't hear enough about the good element of the Christian religion around here. Seems the extremists are the only ones that bother to post anything, and its the same old song every time.

Nice to see the other side of the coin once in a while... if for no other reason than to remind myself that not everyone who calls themselves a "Christian" is a complete nutter.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
July 1st, 2010, 7:54 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

I am already in the habit of reminding myself all the time that Christianity is not a unified religion. Not sure there IS a fully unified religion, other than perhaps $cientology. Which hasn't had enough time to fracture the way normal religions do.

Basically, I see human nature as being kind to those one considers members of their own society, and being less than pleased in the presence of outsiders. If you read a lot of the words attributed to Jesus in the Bible, you'll see that he thought to address that problem by urging people to see all others as acceptable members of a universal society. The less-than-pleasant followers of Jesus (trying to keep it nice) seem to always find ways to bypass that important bit of Jesus' efforts, rather than engaging in the work of suppressing their nature as they are urged to.

It's not surprising that many should do this. But it is rather disappointing.
July 1st, 2010, 8:19 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
I think the younger generation is leaning in that direction. My sister in law said the other day. I believe in Jesus, Religion was created by man.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
July 1st, 2010, 9:54 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:I think the younger generation is leaning in that direction. My sister in law said the other day. I believe in Jesus, Religion was created by man.

Keep in mind thats also what BHL says and he's nuttier than a fruitcake when it comes to the subject.
July 1st, 2010, 10:59 am
Sanjuro

BHL is a fruit but a good fruit. My honest opinion of BHL is that much of what he says is perpetuated by his larger social network (wife, in-laws, parents, friends) not necessarily by BHL. Take BHL out of that social network and he'd be back to his middle-of-the-road liberal self in no time.

Adam posted something on BookFace today which sounds relevant to this:

Dramaturgical theory suggests your identity is not constant but dependent on ever changing social interactions (among other things). Does that mean my personality changes if I add a new person to facebook? I think so.

I'm lucky enough to be with someone who loves me no matter whatever deranged philosophy I adopt.
July 1st, 2010, 3:41 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:BHL is a fruit but a good fruit. My honest opinion of BHL is that much of what he says is perpetuated by his larger social network (wife, in-laws, parents, friends) not necessarily by BHL. Take BHL out of that social network and he'd be back to his middle-of-the-road liberal self in no time.

And speaking of that post on drinking while writing! LOL
July 1st, 2010, 3:46 pm
Sanjuro

Good Idea...
July 1st, 2010, 3:52 pm
Liv

I love this. Can you imagine what the world would be like if there were less of the "Jesus loves everyone, but not you, and not you, oh and definitely not you" believers. A friend of mine is an Irish Catholic. She had her daughter ask her why it says that being gay is bad in the Bible. Besides loving me, their family has other gay friends. She asked if they were bad people because she loved them and did not think they were bad. I loved her response and it has stuck with me. She told her little girl that the Bible was written down by men. The day they were writing that part they were sitting on the edge of the river feeling jealous that they had not been invited to the party. They saw everyone else having so much more fun than them that they said "he's good, he's good but that guy over there is having way too much fun so that's bad".
"Are you disrespecting me and my family?"
July 5th, 2010, 7:01 pm
shannon
Try My Cupcakes.

shannon wrote:I love this. Can you imagine what the world would be like if there were less of the "Jesus loves everyone, but not you, and not you, oh and definitely not you" believers.

There was a line from George Carlin's last CD about Christians that I liked:

"I'll tell you what Jesus would have done: he would have gone up to the top of the Empire State Building and said 'God bless everyone around the world forever and ever till the end of time!' That's what Jesus would have done and that's what these people ought to do..."
July 6th, 2010, 5:57 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
I can still recite the Lord's Prayer from having it drummed into me at school

Our Father, which art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done,
in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.

Presumably Christians know it too but they seem to forget the bit about forgivness and delivering from evil.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
July 6th, 2010, 8:27 am
A Person

Return to Religion