·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

More persecution of those who espouse Christianity

by BecauseHeLives | Published on July 9th, 2010, 4:24 pm | Religion
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/09/un ... c-beliefs/

This professor was hired to teach a course in Catholicism. Surprise surprise that he would hold the beliefs of the Catholic church and teach that catholicism is against homosexuality. Did the university not actually know catholic doctrine?

Since when is it hate speech for a person to say that homosexuality is wrong?

I'll bet the professor is going to win some big bucks against the university on this one.

BecauseHeLives wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/09/university-illinois-instructor-fired-catholic-beliefs/

This professor was hired to teach a course in Catholicism. Surprise surprise that he would hold the beliefs of the Catholic church and teach that catholicism is against homosexuality. Did the university not actually know catholic doctrine?

I'll bet the professor is going to win some big bucks against the university on this one.

This is so obvious that I can't believe I have to explain it. Having a job teaching something is one thing, blabbing about your beliefs on that job to the students you are teaching (and therefore opening the door to tainting every decision you make being painted as prejudice) is something completely different. Please quit trolling, I know youre smarter than this.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
July 9th, 2010, 6:07 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

In related news Chris Comer, the former Director of the Texas Education Agency has lost her appeal. Comer lost her job for forwarding an email message from the National Center for Science Education about a speech by a noted philospher, Barbara Forrest. Forrest is critical of the intelligent design creationism movement and becauseTexas requires its educators to be neutral when talking about science and fairy tales, Comer was expelled.

Not a peep from Ben Stein though
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
July 9th, 2010, 6:32 pm
A Person

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/09/university-illinois-instructor-fired-catholic-beliefs/

This is so obvious that I can't believe I have to explain it. Having a job teaching something is one thing, blabbing about your beliefs on that job to the students you are teaching (and therefore opening the door to tainting every decision you make being painted as prejudice) is something completely different. Please quit trolling, I know youre smarter than this.

It never said he was blabbing about his beliefs. He was stating the position of the catholic church. Why wouldn't you do that in a course ABOUT the catholic church. I can't believe I have to explain it. I know you're smarter than this.
July 9th, 2010, 9:26 pm
BecauseHeLives

It's difficult to see how this is Christian persecution. A Christian is hired by a secular university to teach Catholic theology, his contract isn't renewed when he uses it as a pulpit to denigrate gays. Quelle surprise!

Christians were given a privileged position to promote their religion - and that's 'persecution'?

If anything it's anti-gay persecution.

Personally I disagree with the decision. Of course a Catholic teaching Catholicism will denigrate gays. Atheists, Muslims and Protestants too. In this case the student's complaint seems weak (although no weaker than the professors argument about 'natural law')

The problem is that a secular university is teaching catholic theology at all. Theology isn't an academic subject. Comparative religion or cultural anthropology, certainly. The students should be free to challenge Howell's (and the Catholic Church's) silly 'natural law' argument using logic and reason - but then they wouldn't be learning Catholicism, they'd learning critical thinking.

The Catholic Church has enough money to train its pederasts itself and has no place in a secular, government funded institution.
July 10th, 2010, 9:45 am
A Person

Return to Religion