·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Abortion S.L.E.D.

by A Person | Published on October 30th, 2010, 11:07 am | Religion
BecauseHeLives wrote:"The Point is" is that pregnancies by rape are an EXTREMELY small percentage of pregnancies. Way less than 1% of abortions are from that cause. So why even bring it up in the argument?

1) Because even this "EXTREMELY small percentage" is too much for the religious who would force the woman to become pregnant and carry to term

2) Even without rape, emergency contraception is a valid choice by a woman for many reasons - contraceptive failure for example - or even just because she wants to. Just as you may choose to do all sorts of things I disagree with.

BecauseHeLives wrote:You infer that the soul is not real. Please provide some proof of such a statement.

:roll:

I imply the soul is not real. The set of unreal and intangible things is limited only by imagination but anything asserted without proof may be dismissed without proof. (Christopher Hitchens)

Prove to me that what you call a 'Soul' is not a Thetan

It shouldn't be the "religeous" forcing anyone not to have an abortion. It should be the law.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
October 30th, 2010, 11:42 am
BecauseHeLives

But it isn't. That darned inconvenient Constitution again.
October 30th, 2010, 11:54 am
A Person

A Person wrote:But it isn't. That darned inconvenient Constitution again.

The constitution does give the right to life and liberty.
October 30th, 2010, 3:22 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:The constitution does give the right to life and liberty.

The constitution does not give an unconditional right to life and liberty - and not to the unborn.

The phrase appears in the 14th Amendment (as well as the Declaration of Independence)

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

This specifically excludes the unborn and restricts what the State may do to a person.

Roe v Wade went beyond the constitution by recognising that the state has an increasing interest in the unborn as viability approaches and achieved a (reasonable imo) compromise between a literal constitutional interpretation and the interference of religion - to a large extent based on the 14th amendment rights of the woman to liberty. For the state to intervene and force a woman to carry a pregnancy to term would be a clear violation of her right to liberty
October 30th, 2010, 5:24 pm
A Person

I have read all 7 pages of the discussion, and find it very interesting. I happen to be a woman of childbearing age. I am also happen to be a scientist and a mother of one. I do not believe in God. My inner self feels strongly against abortions. Why? Well, I am not really sure if I support SLED or not, I think there is not enough scientific evidence at this point to be sure. I simply do not feel abortion is a right thing to do - at least in my case. However, every woman is different, and her situation is unique, and there is absolutely nothing that makes me an authority to tell her how to handle (ot nor handle) important events in her life.
Regardless of my subjective attitude towards abortions, I firmly believe that abortions should stay legal. There is a history of illegal abortions in the former USSR (where I am from), that had no effect on the actual # of abortions, but only led to avoidable disability and deaths of women in addition to fetuses. As was said numerous times in this topic, this is a personal decision of a woman and a man (if he cares to participate, of course). It is practically impossible to classify and prosecute abortions as murder simply because usually, by the time majority of abortions are performed, there is no way to know the woman was ever pregnant (if a human was murdered at least there are ways to know as s/he is missing etc).
I wish I could make the world so perfect that there is not a single woman who wants/needs to undergo such a stressful and dangerous experience as abortion. Unfortunately, this cannot be done in a blink of an eye. However, I will try to contribute with my small input: as a mother, I will teach my child(ren) to support my views - that there are always better alternatives to an abortion. I will offer help, if needed. If everyone who is pro-life does the same - I believe there will be fewer and fewer abortions as the time goes. I believe this is a right, non-judgemental, not inforced way of handling the issue with abortions.
November 14th, 2010, 12:05 am
Just a Woman

Return to Religion