·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Abortion S.L.E.D.

by A Person | Published on February 1st, 2008, 1:35 pm | Religion
BecauseHeLives wrote: Do you believe that because a person doesn't have a functioning part in the their body that they are LESS of a person.
Yes - if the part of their body is the brain - that is the gist of what I've been saying and where I feel the SLED argument fails.

If a person does not have a functional brain then they are less of a person. Even mild absence of function will result in the loss of significant human rights. Complete absence and the inability to live independently results in the loss of the right to live. Hence removing brain dead people from life support is not murder.

A Person wrote:Nah, just that actual abstinence is extraordinarily hard to achieve. The sexual drive is way too strong.

All it takes is a little Jesus. :D

That's my view too. However I think the BHL would like to force his decisions on everyone.

I don't think so. :\
Jan 29, 2008: Mark this day.. "ignorance is bliss" and I actually completely agree.. now if you'll excuse me I'm going to hurl myself off the building.- Sanjuro
Consider it marked.
February 1st, 2008, 11:38 pm
IgnoranceIsBliss

Questioner wrote:Yet another stupid argument. Of course I'm right. And the U.S. unintended pregnancy rate proves it. Should we also not teach the kids about the dangers and symptoms of venereal diseases because we don't want them to have sex before marriage?

I taught my kids abstinence, contraception, AND how to recognize symptoms of venereal disease if they ever needed to know that information. Both of my kids have chosen abstinence because the know the FACTS of sex, contraceptives and contraceptive failure and VD. And they have a lot of love and support at home so they haven't needed to seek it in premature sexual relationships.

Why can't you fundies follow the path of Jesus Christ and love people instead of forever seeking ways to hurt them and make their lives even harder?

I understand what kind of person you are. You refuse to be wrong, even when you are.

Many people will try to carry out a false sense of intimacy throughout their lives, being constantly sexual activte because they have no where to turn to for love. I'm glad you taught you're children abstinence. But to tell them, "Don't have sex! But if you do, make sure you're protected...." isn't right to me. Its like saying, "Don't steal from the liquor store, but if you do, use the back alley to get out...".

I don't try and hurt people. But I like how you constantly jump to conclusions. :|
February 1st, 2008, 11:46 pm
IgnoranceIsBliss

A Person wrote:Yes - if the part of their body is the brain - that is the gist of what I've been saying and where I feel the SLED argument fails.

If a person does not have a functional brain then they are less of a person. Even mild absence of function will result in the loss of significant human rights. Complete absence and the inability to live independently results in the loss of the right to live. Hence removing brain dead people from life support is not murder.

What?

I have a mentally challenged friend I visit every week. He can't feed himself, can't walk, can't control his bladder. But he's probably one of the most intelligent person I know, and he says maybe one or two words the whole time. Does that mean he doesn't have the right to live?

How can you say that another human being is less than a person than you? What makes you so special?

Just because you're slow, or don't react as quickly as someone else doesn't make you any less human. A soul is a soul, no matter what condition the vessel is in.
I'm angry. :|
February 1st, 2008, 11:53 pm
IgnoranceIsBliss

IgnoranceIsBliss wrote:But he's probably one of the most intelligent person I know, and he says maybe one or two words the whole time. Does that mean he doesn't have the right to live?
You answered your own question. He has a functioning brain and has cognitive and communicative powers. Loss of cognitive function can result in loss of the right to self determination, suffrage and freedom of movement. If the brain loses all function then the 'person' is legally brain dead, loses the right to life and can be removed from life support without it being murder.
February 2nd, 2008, 12:17 am
A Person

A Person wrote:You answered your own question. He has a functioning brain and has cognitive and communicative powers. Loss of cognitive function can result in loss of the right to self determination, suffrage and freedom of movement. If the brain loses all function then the 'person' is legally brain dead, loses the right to life and can be removed from life support without it being murder.

If a person does not have a functional brain then they are less of a person. Even mild absence of function will result in the loss of significant human rights.

No, he can barely talk. Its just the things he says. I can tell him all my frustrations, everything that bothers me, and hes able to say one word that makes it all better. :D
February 2nd, 2008, 12:20 am
IgnoranceIsBliss

IgnoranceIsBliss wrote:But to tell them, "Don't have sex! But if you do, make sure you're protected...." isn't right to me. Its like saying, "Don't steal from the liquor store, but if you do, use the back alley to get out...".

I don't try and hurt people. But I like how you constantly jump to conclusions. :|
When you become a parent you''ll find that telling your kids 'Don't' works for a while but when they become teens it becomes a lot less effective. It works much better if you say "These are the consequences" and give them factual information.

A better example would be "Getting drunk leads to these problems. But you need to know that if you do ever get drunk or find yourself in an unsafe situation, you can call me at any time and trust that I will come to you and get you home safely - without discussion until it can happen in a calm and caring manner."
February 2nd, 2008, 12:29 am
A Person

IgnoranceIsBliss wrote:
A Person wrote:You answered your own question. He has a functioning brain and has cognitive and communicative powers. Loss of cognitive function can result in loss of the right to self determination, suffrage and freedom of movement. If the brain loses all function then the 'person' is legally brain dead, loses the right to life and can be removed from life support without it being murder.

No, he can barely talk. Its just the things he says. I can tell him all my frustrations, everything that bothers me, and hes able to say one word that makes it all better. :D
So as you say he has a functioning brain and can communicate. So he's not brain dead. If he were in a coma and unable to move, but exhibited brain activity he would not be brain dead.

I think your misunderstanding what what I mean by 'less of a person'. I simply mean entitled to fewer rights. Children are 'less of a person' in that they are denied all sorts of rights that adults have and their freedoms are constrained. They can't vote, live independently, have sex etc.
February 2nd, 2008, 1:02 am
A Person

A Person wrote:I think your misunderstanding what what I mean by 'less of a person'. I simply mean entitled to fewer rights. Children are 'less of a person' in that they are denied all sorts of rights that adults have and their freedoms are constrained. They can't vote, live independently, have sex etc.

And that brings us back on topic. :|
February 2nd, 2008, 2:41 pm
IgnoranceIsBliss

IgnoranceIsBliss wrote:
A Person wrote:I think your misunderstanding what what I mean by 'less of a person'. I simply mean entitled to fewer rights. Children are 'less of a person' in that they are denied all sorts of rights that adults have and their freedoms are constrained. They can't vote, live independently, have sex etc.

And that brings us back on topic. :|

AP... what is your definition of an inate human right?

I think you are starting to blend different "rights".
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
February 2nd, 2008, 4:26 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:AP... what is your definition of an inate human right?

Universal Declaration of Human Rights wrote:Article 1
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Article 3
Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

Note some conditions: Born free, endowed with reason and conscience.

The 'Right to life' presupposes life. i.e being born and being endowed with reason and conscience. The 'right to life' does not confer the 'ability to live'.
February 2nd, 2008, 6:32 pm
A Person

This is stupid....You're being hard-headed. :|
February 2nd, 2008, 6:51 pm
IgnoranceIsBliss

Thank you.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary - Hard-headed \Hard"-head`ed\, a. Having sound judgment; sagacious; shrewd.
February 2nd, 2008, 7:05 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:AP... what is your definition of an inate human right?

Universal Declaration of Human Rights wrote:Article 1
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Article 3
Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

Note some conditions: Born free, endowed with reason and conscience.

The 'Right to life' presupposes life. i.e being born and being endowed with reason and conscience. The 'right to life' does not confer the 'ability to live'.

By your own given definition a baby has no rights until it comes out of the womb (Born). Is that how you feel?
February 2nd, 2008, 7:35 pm
BecauseHeLives

No, my opinion is that it can be extended futher back to when the fetus has the beginnings of life - a functioning (if not reasoning) brain and the wherewithal for life - viability.
February 2nd, 2008, 7:43 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:Thank you.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary - Hard-headed \Hard"-head`ed\, a. Having sound judgment; sagacious; shrewd.

Right. You know what it really means. I know its hard, but please try to be a little more mature.
February 2nd, 2008, 7:56 pm
IgnoranceIsBliss

IgnoranceIsBliss wrote:
A Person wrote:Thank you.

Right. You know what it really means. I know its hard, but please try to be a little more mature.

You mean
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
hard·head·ed –adjective 1. not easily moved or deceived; practical; shrewd.
or
Compact Oxford English Dictionary of Current English
hard-headed: adjective tough and realistic.

Humptydumpty.jpg
Humptydumpty.jpg (13.93 KiB) Viewed 120 times
February 2nd, 2008, 8:07 pm
A Person

No. I mean:
Webster's Online Dictionary-
Hardheaded
Adjective

1. Unreasonably rigid in the face of argument or entreaty or attack.

Rigid- incapable of compromise or flexibility.
February 2nd, 2008, 8:18 pm
IgnoranceIsBliss

That's strange, when I go to Webster's Online Dictionary

I find
HARD-HEADED
Adjective
1. Having sound judgment; sagacious; shrewd.

But thanks for clarifying what you meant. I should have guessed you didn't mean it to be a compliment :?
February 2nd, 2008, 8:27 pm
A Person

Thats very strange, because when I go to there, I get this:

Hardheaded

Definitions: Hardheaded
Hardheaded
Adjective

2. Guided by practical experience and observation rather than theory; "a hardheaded appraisal of our position"; "a hard-nosed labor leader"; "completely practical in his approach to business"; "not ideology but pragmatic politics".

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.o ... hardheaded
February 2nd, 2008, 8:37 pm
IgnoranceIsBliss

That is strange. The definition for hard-headed (the words you used) is
1. Having sound judgment; sagacious; shrewd.
but for hardheaded (no hyphen) it's
2. Guided by practical experience and observation rather than theory; "a hardheaded appraisal of our position"; "a hard-nosed labor leader"; "completely practical in his approach to business"; "not ideology but pragmatic politics".

I don't see where I'm being 'unreasonably rigid'. You may not like my reasons but they are stated. I think forcing others to conform to your views would be a good definition of 'unreasonably rigid'. I'm glad to hear you repudiate that.
February 2nd, 2008, 8:48 pm
A Person

Well, no one asked you to think. :|
February 2nd, 2008, 11:51 pm
IgnoranceIsBliss

IgnoranceIsBliss wrote:Well, no one asked you to think. :|

It's what makes me human 8)
February 2nd, 2008, 11:53 pm
A Person

IgnoranceIsBliss wrote:It's what makes me human 8)

If thats what human is, thats what I don't want to be. :)
February 3rd, 2008, 2:04 pm
IgnoranceIsBliss

Don't worry, you don't do a lot of it.
February 3rd, 2008, 2:07 pm
A Person

Return to Religion