·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Every Generation Shall Have a Prophet.

by Liv | Published on February 1st, 2008, 1:13 pm | Religion
Watched Eli Stone last night. Decent show. One line had me thinking though.

Mr Chen says something like "Most Religions state every Generation shall have a prophet."

Is this fictional story line?

If not who is our generations prophets?

George Freaking Bush?

Royal Diadem makes as much sense as most prophets
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
February 1st, 2008, 1:21 pm
A Person

If you don't repent and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour you WILL spend eternity in hell. How's that for prophesizing?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
February 1st, 2008, 1:27 pm
BecauseHeLives

That's too lucid to be a prophecy. More like wishful thinking.
February 1st, 2008, 1:37 pm
A Person

Well, when Metatron charged me with a holy crusade in which I had to:

Stopacoupleofangelsfromenteringandthusnegatingallexistence

Metatron also said I would have help from:

Prophets. Two of them. The one who speaks - and he will, at great lengths, whether you want him to or not - will make mention of himself as a prophet. The other one... well, he's the quiet type, but he'll be helpful just the same.

Jay-and-silent-bob.jpg

Meanwhile, Cardinal Glick was kicking off the Catholic WOW Campaign. How could you close your heart to this guy???

Jay-and-silent-bob_buddychrist.jpg

It's your Buddy, Christ!!!

(Yeah, yeah... repent, repent)
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
February 1st, 2008, 1:38 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Confuseus sez, "If prophet really profit why him not have own website like http://www.confuseus.com?"
February 1st, 2008, 10:45 pm
Billy The Blogging Poet

I know a prophet.

The Bible counts right? :)
Jan 29, 2008: Mark this day.. "ignorance is bliss" and I actually completely agree.. now if you'll excuse me I'm going to hurl myself off the building.- Sanjuro
Consider it marked.
February 1st, 2008, 11:29 pm
IgnoranceIsBliss

David Koresh.
February 2nd, 2008, 10:14 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:David Koresh.

Two rules for a prophet Liv.

1) His prophesies must nevers contradict God's word
2) His prophesies can NEVER be wrong

I think Koresh failed on both counts.
February 2nd, 2008, 11:48 am
BecauseHeLives

Liv wrote:Watched Eli Stone last night. Decent show. One line had me thinking though.

Mr Chen says something like "Most Religions state every Generation shall have a prophet."

Is this fictional story line?

If not who is our generations prophets?

George Freaking Bush?

I believe most republicans think it is Ronald Regan. :mrgreen:
February 2nd, 2008, 5:07 pm
Questioner

Joseph Smith is a true prophet of this dispensation. Currently their is no Prophet, but Thomas S. Monson, the chief apostle of the Quorum of the Twelve apostles, will most likely be set apart as the next president, prophet, seer, and revelator of this generation. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
February 2nd, 2008, 6:13 pm
xardc

BecauseHeLives wrote:Two rules for a prophet Liv.

1) His prophesies must nevers contradict God's word
2) His prophesies can NEVER be wrong

I think Koresh failed on both counts.

Examples:
Isaiah 19:5-7
And the waters of the Nile will be dried up, and the river will be parched and dry; and its canal will become foul, and the branches of Egypt's Nile will diminish and dry up, reeds and rushes will rot away. There will be bare places by the Nile, on the brink of the Nile, and all that is sown by the Nile will dry up, be driven away, and be no more.

Isaiah 17:1-2
An oracle concerning Damascus. See, Damascus will cease to be a city, and will become a heap of ruins. Her towns will be deserted forever...

Isaiah 7:1-7
In the days of Ahaz,...king of Judah, Rezin the king of Syria and Pekah the son of Remaliah the king of Israel came up to Jerusalem to wage war against it, but they could not conquer it...And the Lord said to Isaiah “Go forth to meet Ahaz...and say to him, ‘Take heed, be quiet, do not fear, and do not let your heart be faint...at the fierce anger of Rezin...and the son of Remaliah. Because Syria...and the son of Remaliah has devised evil against you saying “Let us go up against Judah and terrify it and let us conquer it for ourselves...” thus says the Lord God: “It shall not stand and it shall not come to pass...”
Proved wrong by
II Chronicles 28:1, 5-6
Ahaz was 20 years old when he began his reign...[T]he Lord God gave him into the hand of the king of Syria, who defeated him and took captive a great number of his people...He was also given into the hand of the king of Israel who defeated him with great slaughter. For Pekah the son of Remaliah slew a hundred and twenty thousand in Judah in one day...

Still watining for those.
And of course the biggie from Jesus
Matthew 16:28: "...there shall be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."
Matthew 24:34, "...This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."

Still waiting for that too.
February 2nd, 2008, 7:26 pm
A Person

You seem to like to see things that aren't there don't ya?

February 2nd, 2008, 7:33 pm
BecauseHeLives

Hello, I have read some interesting thoughts here. Please alow me to add a few more.
Reigion or philosophy are always interesting topics ,they are certianly human topics.
You never see dogs talkin much about the meaning and purpose of life or even asking if there is such a thing as purpose or meaning in life. Animals don't lose hope or commit suicide. Animals aren't hypocrites and never seek for justice or restitution.

No these things are uniquely human. It is uniquely human to seek medications to alter thoughts or remove the presure of stress.
How many people do you know who suffer from depression or anxiety or have contemplated suicide?
How many people do you know who either take drugs, either illegal or over the counter, to (help) with these complex and deeply personal issues?

No creature is more inteligent or directed by conscience (or rebel against conscience) as humans.

Why do you think that is so?
Are humans different? Are they meant for more?
Is there a way for humans to exist without the sense that there is more even if we don't yet know what it is?
Are we maybe supposed to follow the survival of the fittest model and forget all this other stuff?
If there is no true Good or Evil then it really doesn't matter?

But no that doesn't quite fit either. hmmmm.

I wonder what you think
July 19th, 2009, 11:05 pm
William Joseph

William Joseph wrote:Religion or philosophy are always interesting topics ,they are certainly human topics.
You never see dogs talking much about the meaning and purpose of life or even asking if there is such a thing as purpose or meaning in life. Animals don't lose hope or commit suicide. Animals aren't hypocrites and never seek for justice or restitution.

No these things are uniquely human. It is uniquely human to seek medications to alter thoughts or remove the pressure of stress.
How many people do you know who suffer from depression or anxiety or have contemplated suicide?
How many people do you know who either take drugs, either illegal or over the counter, to (help) with these complex and deeply personal issues?

No creature is more intelligent or directed by conscience (or rebel against conscience) as humans.

Why do you think that is so?
Are humans different? Are they meant for more?
Is there a way for humans to exist without the sense that there is more even if we don't yet know what it is?
Are we maybe supposed to follow the survival of the fittest model and forget all this other stuff?
If there is no true Good or Evil then it really doesn't matter?

But no that doesn't quite fit either. hmmmm.

I wonder what you think

You have presented some interesting ideas here, but unfortunately, some of the things you think animals don’t do are incorrect. Animals do indeed seek mind altering substances. Have you ever heard of catnip? Animals in the wild are known to seek out and eat plants that have medicinal or mind altering effects. People are better at this, but the behavior is not strictly human.

If you had ever raised a large number of animals, you would know that they do indeed lose hope. Prey animals will die even though mortal wounds have not yet been inflicted. (This is thought to be a function of a parasympathetic storm related to the shock and despair caused by being caught by a predator). As to committing suicide, you don’t know that. Lemmings to the sea?

As to conscience, please! Have you never seen a dog showing guilt when an owner walks in on the dog doing something the dog knows it is not supposed to do? Most social mammals show evidence of all kinds of “human” behavior related to socialization. Study the behavior of a wolf pack or a horse herd. You might be surprised at how human-like some of their behavior can be.

Religion does not and should not rest on some false assertion of humans beings engaging in behavior for which animals have no correspondence. Everything humans do, animals do in some form. Animals love, grieve, experience fear and hope and despair. They make and use tools, feel pain, and in fact, animals show intelligence. The difference is in type and degree, not in the existence of the behavior. Remember, Jesus said God looked after the birds and animals too, just like he looks after people.
July 20th, 2009, 7:49 am
Questioner

Very good response. I see what you mean about the fact that indeed there are degrees of the same emotional responses and conditions that can be found inboth human and animal alike. In fact as i was writtting the original statement there were thoughts that were running through my mind that made me think that i was not articulating the precise argumant that i was intending. What's with Lemmings any how?

As to your final statement about Jesus refering us to God's providential care over a single sparrow as the basis for us to remeber His care providential care for us, is good too. He does go on to say that we are of "much more value" than many sparrows so again your comment about it being more of a matter of degree of emotions that humans express and experience compared to animals is well stated.

Now i guess that the significance of the difference is what the real issue is. If we are of much more value than many sparows i am assuming that would be within the economy of God and not in the marketplace of the world neccessarily.

So if i could humbly amend and requalify some of my statements (using you observations as a pushing off point) let me put them in this light. That in the econmomy of God we have more value "being created in His image" and that with that higher value comes much greater responsibility.

For example, the dog that feels and expresses guilt over some action that is unfavorable to it's owner and knows it, is responsible to that owner and has no greater awarness of guilt before an invisible God. But as humans we can experience guilt of an eternal magnitude and therefore if and when we commit acts agianst our conscience we are (or shouldbe) brought into the most hightened sense of offence against God who we can not see.
Not everyone is i know. But the capacity is ther in humans. so aloso is the capacity to ponder unknown and unseen eternal and spiritual propositions.

I am uncertain why Lemmings (head for the beach) but i thnk it is different than when a man jumps out of a building because he has lost all his money (and prestige) in a bad buisness venture. Or why an animal will tkae it's own life or refuse to eat when mortally wounded or sick compared to the person who feels inadequite sinks into despair when he has perfect health and people who love him.
July 30th, 2009, 10:50 pm
william joseph

A most thoughtful reply, WJ. I personally believe that the way God has chosen to work His will is through nature and her laws. I don't think the idea of God doing "magic tricks" (e.g. He brings something into existence just out of nothing) rightly recognizes the power, complexity and might of God.
Imagine creating a nature so intricate and complex as what we see! Imagine coding the instructions for a whole human being into about 20,000 chromosomes (or was that genes? I forget). Now that is really something! Imagine giving DNA the power to mutate and thus to empower living things to evolve to better fit with their environment? Now that is powerful, brilliant, God-like.
Simple magic tricks? Please!
August 6th, 2009, 10:37 am
Questioner

Lemmings do not commit suicide. Disney has a lot to answer for.

Lemmings periodically go through population explosions and then mass migrate to new territory. They are good swimmers and will swim rivers and lakes - but they are not that smart and will often drown if the river/lake is too wide - or if it's the sea.

Parasympathetic storm is another way of saying 'shock'. All animals, not just prey animals - and including humans, can die from shock even if their wounds are not otherwise fatal.

We don't know whether animals confuse their evolutionary drives with spiritual philosophising, after all, how would we know? Skinner showed that pigeons will develop superstitious behaviours and if our 'agent seeking' responses gives us false positives there's no reason to suppose it's different for other animals.
August 6th, 2009, 11:16 am
A Person

I do like our diologue but i see that you are offended at the notion that God has specifiaclly created for His own purpose. You equated the idea with performing a "magic trick" Perhaps you do not beleive in what you can not see or that which is super natural.I did not mean to offend you. I too beleive that God reveals aspects of His "mighty power" through the creation ( if i may use the term creation). It is completely biblical in fact to say that God displays himself through the Laws of nature as you have correctly observed. (it's obvious).
The very verse that speaks to that is found in Romans 1:20 "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made..." But this implies that nature serves the purpose of God and not that God has used thatwhich already existed to somehow superimpose himself toward throough processes (though He created the processes for that purpose in specific terms as creator.

The verse however goes on and describes the purpose for which God has allowd creation to reveal him . This quite frankly made me very uncomforatble at first but let me just finnish the above verse "... so that men are without excuse." There is an aspect to this that has to do with recognising that God is much more than creation or the processes of the "Laws of nature". He is responsible for creating and sustaining it and we cannot excuse ourselves from our responsibility to Him. I do not like to just quote scripture like a defense mecahnism but there are times when our observations (seeing God in nature) are fully redognised and elaborated on in the bible. That is not the primary purpose of the bible but God speaks in logical terms and in terms that may go beyond our natural reason too without violating concrete truth.
August 6th, 2009, 8:19 pm
william joseph

Hmmmm. I wasn't offended by anything you said. Not in the least. Sorry if I expressed myself badly and gave that impression. What I was trying to say is that I believe God created nature in all its complexity and that is how He accomplishes creation in the world we humans live in. That's all. Of course neither of us believes that nature controls God in any way. That would equate to saying nature is God and God is nothing but nature. There are religions such as Wicca that seem to believe that God and nature are one and the same. But few Christians would agree that nature is the sum total of God.

When I say "magic tricks", I am referring to people who believe science is all wrong and the earth is only 6,000 years old. They reject much of what science has helped us learn about our world and universe and insist God brought forth the universe in 6 earth days. They insist that the world we live in n magically appeared just as it is today, evolution never happened, and that nature as science knows it is a fiction. As I have said, I don't agree with them. In fact, the more we learn through scientific discoveries, the more we realize just how wonderfully complex and intricate nature is. For me, that gives me an ever greater sense of awe at God's power.

But for fundamentalists on this blog, they feel that these scientific discoveries contradict their religious beliefs. Therefore, they reject the findings of science. They believe the bible is literally the "scientific" explanation of how the universe originated, and thus they believe God created everything by magic. A "wave of his hand" so to speak and instantly the earth appeared just as it is now. I believe there is no contradiction between scientific discoveries and my religion. In fact, I believe that science continues to reveal more and more of God's power to us.

Does that explain my thinking better?
August 9th, 2009, 8:04 am
Questioner

I understand your thinking somewhat better now. I know there are those among Christians who do not respond well to any challenges to a 6 day creation or any data that may be interpreted as going against a six day creation. I am not one of them. I would say that i fundamentally understand the world we live in to follow the explaination given in Genesis "God spoke and it was so". (I see this as an instantaneous creation.) So i must confess that this is a presuposition that I bring to the discussion.
I do not have any problems with science but do not always trust the interpretation of the data. We are looking at the after effects of time trying to see backward into the origin of all things by looking at the present condition of the world. But beyond that for me I have not been able to surmount the fact that If i take the God of the bible to be God and that what is said about Him in the bible is true then i am also obliged to accept creation as described there.
I was brought up on evolution in school i saw the pictures and accepted those pictures as being scientifc (actual reproductions of actual beings unearthed) most of what I was looking at in school were aritsts renderings and scientifically informed representations of what may have been.
So again for me it is not the issue that i insist on a 6000 year old earth but rather that I beleive the description in the Bible to be the one that God has given to us to understand how all of these things came to be.
Humans perform magic tricks to try and give the illusion that they have some kind of supernatural power.
But God really is beyond creation as we have both agreed and therefore is supernatural. For him to create life makes perfect sense since He is LIFE capital "L".
The bible is not a science textbook it is a book thast reveals God and his dealing with men. It covers many topics that are important for us to know but not everything there is to know. When it speaks on any topic i take it to be true. If it says that Jesus was born in Bethlehem and lived in Nazereth then i take that at face value (of course this is historically verifiable) if it says that God spoke the worlds into being then i take that too.

That is really where i come from in my approach to who God is and how i am to understand him.
August 15th, 2009, 9:37 pm
william Joseph

God created Adam and Eve both fully mature. If you were to examine them right after they were created you might conclude that they are much older than were. Why couldn't God have also created the universe fully mature?
August 16th, 2009, 8:12 am
BecauseHeLives

Yes, I beleive that Adam was created fully mature and that Eve was created fully mature with the capacity to now procreate and give birth to children.

Science can understand and explore procreation and even modify the methods but it has no access to the original recipe as it were to create an original person . So there is no scientific method to observe and understand original creation.
If we had access to those things we would be God and we will never be.
August 16th, 2009, 8:51 am
william joseph

Why couldn't God have created the Earth as described in Genesis? A circle of land separated from the waters above by a tent like curtain with holes to let rain through and with stars stuck on it. It would have been a lot easier and Christians, Jews and Muslims could pound their books and say "The reason that rocket crashed into that invisible force field that surrounds the Earth is right here"

Of course God could have planted dinosaur and other fossils in such a way as to make them appear to develop with age; created 'light on the way' from galaxies so distant and faint that we only now have he technology to view them; created radioactive isotopes pre-decayed in minerals to give the impression of great age; created generation after generation of fossils in rocks he made look like sand dunes but were really laid down in a 1 year flood; created enormous stalactites that appear millions of years old in places where man has only just been able to see, etc.

In other words - if your God created everything, he went to an incredible amount of trouble to make it appear to have been done billions of years ago. Perhaps he's trying to tell you something.
August 16th, 2009, 9:32 am
A Person

Without pounding my "book" let me simply say that indeed God is trying and has told us all something. The message however is offensive and hard to accept. That message is not one hidden within the strata of the earth and discovered through scientific analysis.

The punctuation in a sentence only serves the words being communicated and so too the physical universe with all of it's complexity is secondary to the creator yet like punctuatiion not to be ignored either.

The primary message is that we are fully accountable to Him But we can chose not to be if we so desire and live for ourselves . God will honour our decision to either follow or reject Him as He is and as He has made himself known.
All other debates are secondary to proper relationship to God as He has defined it. But since we are dealing with the evidence of the physical universe and the wide range of scinetific observtions and postulations let us stay on that for a now. And God does speak through these things as well.
The various things you have mentioned such as the timelines and age of these physical substances are being interpreted through scientific observation. The postulations of scientists come from the very ,very best reasoning at the present hour. These definitions will change. Darwinism as it once existed has given way to new evidence that brings in greater complexity and even resulted in many dead ends wihtin the early model of darwin. I suspect that this is simply a process of better science and that it will continue. Some great discoveries will be made and some of the firmly held postulations will give way to new and better science.
Not all people, but some are not looking so much for answers within science for the benifit that those dicoveries may provide but rather a way out of having to relate to the idea of God. Especially a god who is omnipotent, omnipresent and to whom we must give an account.
I am a believer and have frimly recognised that God is an intrusion into my own personal persuits when i want to think or do as i please.
We are greatly blessed by the material universe , It is a great testing ground for observation but it can never speak more clearly about God than God has of Himself. we just struggle with the message that we need Him and that when this life is over we will either be with »Him or without Him as he honours our decision to accept or reject Him.
However there is no person that he will reject that turn fully to Him for forgivness and reconcilliation through His Son. (another offensive message i Know).
Even Christians can debate over the age of the earth that`s an important but secondary argument to accepting Christ. (or rejecting Him)
August 16th, 2009, 11:05 am
william Joseph

Return to Religion