·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Every Generation Shall Have a Prophet.

by BecauseHeLives | Published on August 16th, 2009, 11:24 am | Religion
Why couldn't God have created the Earth as described in Genesis?

Uh... He did!

A circle of land separated from the waters above by a tent like curtain with holes to let rain through and with stars stuck on it.

Invalid interpretation. For one, it never rained before the great flood.

BecauseHeLives wrote:Invalid interpretation. For one, it never rained before the great flood

Really? You 'know' this how? Presumably the river that went out of Eden was fed by Adam peeing into it.

But you are correct in that the holes were of course covered by windows that God could open to let the rain through: "the windows of heaven were opened and the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights", and then "the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained"
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
August 16th, 2009, 12:02 pm
A Person

Oh yes here we are:

Genesis
2:5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
2:6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

So it did rain in the first week, otherwise the plants wouldn't grow.
August 16th, 2009, 12:11 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:Invalid interpretation. For one, it never rained before the great flood

Really? You 'know' this how? Presumably the river that went out of Eden was fed by Adam peeing into it.

But you are correct in that the holes were of course covered by windows that God could open to let the rain through: "the windows of heaven were opened and the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights", and then "the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained"

The rivers were fed by springs AP. So was all plant life. The firmamnet obove the waters (the atmosphere) was much thicker than it is today and I believe protected us from the harmful effects of the sun and even possibly worked as a hyperbolic chamber for the earth. Thus the bigger animals and the longer lives of humans back then. When the great flood happened all of this was removed.
August 16th, 2009, 12:14 pm
BecauseHeLives

A Person wrote:Oh yes here we are:

Genesis
2:5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
2:6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

So it did rain in the first week, otherwise the plants wouldn't grow.

I don't how you interpret that to be rain. Rain comes from the above atmosphere. water coming from the fountains of the deep is not rain anymore than spraying a water hose into the air is rain. I thought you knew science better than that AP.
August 16th, 2009, 12:16 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:worked as a hyperbolic chamber for the earth
Ooooh I love it when you talk all sciency - without having a clue. A hyperbolic chamber would presumably be one full of exaggeration. So that's why people lived so long and grew so big. They exaggerated.

BecauseHeLives wrote:I don't how you interpret that to be rain. Rain comes from the above atmosphere. water coming from the fountains of the deep is not rain anymore than spraying a water hose into the air is rain. I thought you knew science better than that AP.

I see you don't actually read the Bible do you.

The Bible wrote:But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

Nothing there about 'fountains of the deep'. However there is a glimmer of an understanding of the water cycle. Water evaporates and forms water vapour, this condenses in cooler air to form a mist - tiny suspended water droplets. These droplets coalesce to form larger droplets which fall as rain.

You should try learning some science before getting too sarcastic about things you clearly are clueless about.
August 16th, 2009, 12:31 pm
A Person

Ooooh I love it when you talk all sciency - without having a clue. A hyperbolic chamber would presumably be one full of exaggeration. So that's why people lived so long and grew so big. They exaggerated.

Obviously you do not know what a hyperbolic chamber actually is. That's ok. I'm used to you pretending to know what you are talking about.

The Bible wrote:But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

Nothing there about 'fountains of the deep'. However there is a glimmer of an understanding of the water cycle. Water evaporates and forms water vapour, this condenses in cooler air to form a mist - tiny suspended water droplets. These droplets coalesce to form larger droplets which fall as rain.

The fountains of the deep exploded during Noah's time. During the time of Adam, springs gave rise to the mist NOT evaporation. It never rained from this mist and you can't show in scripture where it did.

You should try learning some science before getting too sarcastic about things you clearly are clueless about.

LOL! It never stopped you from discussing bible scripture...
August 16th, 2009, 12:46 pm
BecauseHeLives

I've got sprinklers in my yard that mist the grass for me but I don't tell my kids that it evaporates and then comes back as rain in my yard.
August 16th, 2009, 12:48 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:Obviously you do not know what a hyperbolic chamber actually is. That's ok. I'm used to you pretending to know what you are talking about.

BHL doubles down :lol: :lol:

Go on then explain what a hyperbolic chamber actually is. Please, pretty please.
August 16th, 2009, 12:50 pm
A Person

August 16th, 2009, 1:00 pm
BecauseHeLives

Not yet...

I really don't know what a hyperbolic chamber actually is. I would like you tell me.
August 16th, 2009, 1:07 pm
A Person

i think that the bible would be the hyperbolic chamber. Using it DOES lead to exaggerated and wildly unsupportable claims. In this context, it leads to a whole new level of bendable logic
August 16th, 2009, 1:50 pm
antifascist

A Person wrote:Not yet...

I really don't know what a hyperbolic chamber actually is. I would like you tell me.

You don't know scripture either.

Ever heard of Google?
August 16th, 2009, 2:08 pm
BecauseHeLives

August 16th, 2009, 2:21 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:Not yet...

It's good to know that BHL gets his science info from The Onion...
The Rapture already happened. All the good Christians are gone. We're stuck with the rejects.

"Why would anyone pray in private where no one can see you?"- BHL
August 16th, 2009, 3:02 pm
C. Alice

Now that we have all had a good laugh and BHL has run away in embarrasment realizing that the words he was groping for were "[define]Hyperbaric Chamber[/define]", maybe we can return to the topic.

First let me say that I was wrong. I thought that Genesis 2:6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground and Job 36:27-28 For he maketh small the drops of water: they pour down rain according to the vapour thereof: Which the clouds do drop and distil upon man abundantly. (vapour and mist in these verses are the same Hebrew word
mist-hebrew.gif
mist-hebrew.gif (342 Bytes) Viewed 530 times
might have actually has some glimmer of science and understanding of the hydrological cycle, but I see I was wrong. BHL's concordance tells me that the Bible has nothing to do with reality and that before the flood God used an underground sprinkler system.

So BHL you seem to believe the 'Water Canopy' hypothesis where some of the water from the flood was held in the atmosphere as vapour/water/ice, is that correct?

I also went to that site http://www.evanwiggs.com/articles/fountain.html. You say it is 'good reading'. Would you care to explain why? What is it you think it gets right and why?
August 17th, 2009, 9:34 am
A Person

I also went to that site http://www.evanwiggs.com/articles/fountain.html. You say it is 'good reading'. Would you care to explain why? What is it you think it gets right and why?

Well that document isn't very clear. I got the point that it is disputing, based on nothing scientific, the "theory" of plate tectonics. ( I really hate to do it, but around here you just must put the word "theory" in quotes.) When the author can combine his NOT-TECTONICS theory with his explanation of how light has traveled 12+ billion light years in 6,000 years, he will have a grand unified theory of fundamental stupidity that will cause Pentecostals to think even they can love and believe science.
August 17th, 2009, 4:14 pm
Nfidel

Well it's difficult to know where to start with it because it is full on nonsense. Some just wrong and others not even wrong.

He dismisses Plate Tectonics and then proposes Superduper Whizzy Plate Tectonics (aka Hydroplate 'theory')
2. The area of the Atlantic was where the rupture occurred first. The continents have eroded wide apart and the underlying basalt undergoes a phase change and expands rapidly several miles high. This ripple effect follows around the earth on the original path moving around the earth in about half a day. The strange fracture zones and magnetic anomalies form.

3. The continents, still with some water between them and the underlying rock, begin to move away from this upthrust by gravity. They accelerate away from the mid oceanic ridge formation, riding on a layer of water acting as a lubricating film.

4. The continents begin to meet resistance of two kinds.

a.) The water film is depleted and the continents ride rock on rock. The massive inertia of the continent causing enormous kinetic energy releases in heat (magma pools) and buckling and thickening of the plate itself.

b.) The American plates move west and the European plates move east and both meet the upsurging mid Pacific ridge.

The Ring of Fire and the deep-sea trenches are formed by this sudden and catastrophic halt causing massive upward and downward buckling. The Indian plate literally slams into the Asian continent forming the Deccan uplift, America's plates buckle and form the western mountain ranges, huge compressive events everywhere form new mountains and plateaus that rise out of the flood waters. Much of the material is still wet and fold and bend in the patterns we see today in many mountains.

ALL IN ONE YEAR :lol:

I calculated the energy required to accellerate continents accross the oceans to speeds over 50 km/hr (assuming no friction at all it's 1,205,632,716,049,380,000,000,000 joules for North America alone). Suffice it to say that if Noah didn't notice North America whizzing past at water skiing speeds, he would notice the bow wake - and that it would have generated enough heat to make a stew of him and his passengers.

But I doubt BHL will get involved in a real discussion that involves math, science and thinking. He never has before.
August 17th, 2009, 5:23 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:worked as a hyperbolic chamber for the earth
Ooooh I love it when you talk all sciency - without having a clue. A hyperbolic chamber would presumably be one full of exaggeration.

Just occurred to me -- couldn't you have a chamber built in the shape of a hyperbolic curve?

Have to be twin chambers, rotated around the Y-axis, perhaps...
August 19th, 2009, 2:25 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Yes, but would it make you live longer and grow taller?
August 19th, 2009, 2:38 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:Yes, but would it make you live longer and grow taller?

Only an experiment could tell for certain. :lol:
August 19th, 2009, 2:41 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

I'll bet it would sharpen razor blades :)
August 19th, 2009, 2:46 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:I'll bet it would sharpen razor blades :)

Very useful stuff in the case. :twisted:
August 19th, 2009, 2:56 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Well, what an interesting converstaion. It's like watching a boxing match. Only one person actually seems to be a boxer who is attempting to abide by the rules of the ring in a sportsman like manner while the other one seems to try and place all his shots below the belt. That's just nasty.

In a bout like this the unsportsman like opponent thrives on frustrating a good boxer. Insted of giving respect he seeks to bring the other respectable fellow down to the level of responding in anger and draw him into hitting below the belt too. The unsportsman like apponent is usually the first to cry foul. Actually trying to appael to a higher rule or standard. It is a standard he actually does not hold to himself but knows the other fellow delights in fair play and seeks to hurt his oppponent by making him unrespectable according to the respectable fellows respect for what is right . The objiect for the man fouling is to degrade the other person.

Perhaps it would be good to call a spade a spade. Unbelievers are really not neutral to God at all are they? They can't help but be disrepectful, angry, and opposed.

The fact is you are resisiting something that seems to assert alot of pressure upon you.

Don't take my word for it take your present emotional condition and check you motives for trying to make someone look foolish.
I know all about resisting God . Been there done that. But God is exactly who thew Bible describes Him to be.You aint nuetral !!! And it's obviuos.
Science is a wonderful thing it is a great way to try and understand the universe that God made. But remember we are making postualtions based on interpreted results from previous observations that werer made with preconceprtions.

Darwin is on the ropes as far as science is concerned.
You will have to go in circles until you deal with the fact ath God is a real and eternal being who exists . wihout \Him ther really isn't much point or purpose to anything.
If there is tell me what it is .
August 21st, 2009, 8:24 pm
william Joseph

Welcome to my world William Joseph. :shock:
August 21st, 2009, 9:36 pm
BecauseHeLives

Return to Religion