·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

eXpelled review

by A Person | Published on February 2nd, 2008, 7:19 pm | Religion
The new face of Creationism?
The eXpelled movie had had a prescreening in Orlando.

BecauseHeLives wrote:You haven't even seen the move yet and you've still come to your pre-conceived conclusions.

Predictions not conclusions. Does the evidence support my prediction? Read for yourself http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_movies_blog/2008/02/is-ben-stein-th.html

That was a hilarious review by an obviously impartial writer... NOT. David Edwards is so far over into the atheist circles that its not even funny.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
February 2nd, 2008, 7:28 pm
BecauseHeLives

I say Stein and Billy Nye need to mud wrestle.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
February 2nd, 2008, 7:49 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

BecauseHeLives wrote:Please discuss the subject without resorting to ad hominem arguments.
February 2nd, 2008, 7:53 pm
A Person

Thanks for the review. Interesting... Ben Stein was an accomplished propagandist back in the 60's when he worked for Nixon. There's no reason why anyone should not be aware that he's one of the oldest spinners of tall tales around today.

Considering that he has taken the side of the Cretinists, I don't think it will take much digging to pull aside the rhetorical shenanigans that one must expect from him. I seriously doubt that he'll have anything original to add to the fight, but will only repackage the BS that's been pouring out of the Discovery Institute for decades. Might be worth renting if it gets out in general circulation, just to keep in practice with the old critical thinking skills.
February 2nd, 2008, 8:48 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
I anticipate that the Churches will sponsor free viewings as I doubt the paying audience will be very high. I would be interested in seeing it but not in contributing to its finances
February 2nd, 2008, 8:50 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:I anticipate that the Churches will sponsor free viewings as I doubt the paying audience will be very high. I would be interested in seeing it but not in contributing to its finances

Free viewings at church was how I finally got to see ""The Passion of the Christ." I'll keep my eyes open for similar opportunities for this film. I'm with you: I'd prefer not to contribute to its success if it's at all possible.
February 2nd, 2008, 8:53 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

A Person wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:Please discuss the subject without resorting to ad hominem arguments.

Just setting the background of the author...

BTW... I noticed you didn't direct the comment toward SFI even though I'm sure you read his post. Butt buddies?

February 2nd, 2008, 9:29 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:Just setting the background of the author...
I hope the irony of a review of a propaganda film being criticized as not impartial isn't lost on anyone.

BecauseHeLives wrote:BTW... I noticed you didn't direct the comment toward SFI even though I'm sure you read his post. Butt buddies?
I have no idea what your fevered mind is hinting at here. I'm assuming it's some kind of homophobic insult. If you have something coherent to say, then say it.
February 2nd, 2008, 9:59 pm
A Person

BTW... I noticed you didn't direct the comment toward SFI even though I'm sure you read his post. Butt buddies?
February 2nd, 2008, 10:10 pm
BecauseHeLives

Repeating gibberish does not make it any more intelligible or less rude.

Here's another...
http://www.coloradoconfidential.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=3229
But I expect Dan Whipple is another unreasonable materialist.
February 2nd, 2008, 10:21 pm
A Person

BecauseHeLives wrote:BTW... I noticed you didn't direct the comment toward SFI even though I'm sure you read his post.

Are you saying that you think my initial post was an ad hominem statement? I was only stating what I would expect from a "serious" effort on Stein's part. Since I haven't seen the movie, I have no opinion as to its actual content yet.
February 3rd, 2008, 6:10 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

A somewhat less publicised documentary is due out shortly afterwards.

Relidulous, The Movie

It looks and sounds like Maher and Charles plan to say anything, expose anything, and tear into a millennia-old structure that’s always been at the center of war, politics and law. Check out their comments:

Maher: Since there is nothing more ridiculous than the ancient mythological stories that live on as today’s religions, this movie would try to be a real knee-slapper. Comedically, the topic of religion is hitting the side of a barn — it’s literally hard to miss.

Charles: The funny will be scary, the scary wildly funny. The crazy will seem sane and the sane absolutely and undeniably crazy. All lines are blurred. All bets are off. Nietzsche said God is dead, but he didn’t see the grosses for The Passion of the Christ.

That at least promises to be witty.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LRO-LVi1FKU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LRO-LVi1FKU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]
February 3rd, 2008, 11:40 am
A Person

BecauseHeLives wrote:That was a hilarious review by an obviously impartial writer... NOT. David Edwards is so far over into the atheist circles that its not even funny.

Science is not atheism. No one with a functioning brain can possibly take ID/creationism/god dun it seriously. C'mon now get real, Cinderella and Snow White are more plausible.
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you "choose" to respond to it.

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote: If you believe things that are contradicted by the evidence, then you are on a path built on falsehoods.
February 3rd, 2008, 2:09 pm
RebelSnake

For 'balance"
'Big Science' in America is Killing 1st Amendment, Says Actor Ben Stein

The First Amendment is under brutal attack in the scientific community

There is a segment in the film, where it's made clear that intelligent design can open up new areas of inquiry that could improve the human condition. One involves a neurosurgeon, Michael Egnor, and another scientist, Jon Wells, who indicate that given how the cells are put together, with eye toward intelligent design, and with the idea that animal cells have tiny turbines - or if viewed as tiny turbines - he was able to formulate a theory that said in the event these things malfunction and don't properly shut down and could break apart, this is the first step on the way to cancer.

I mean, God bless him (Richard Dawkins), he's obviously an intelligent guy, but it's obviously wrong.

I think there is this kind of Marxist establishment in this country that has been overthrown in other countries, but not overthrown here. There is a very powerful Marxist establishment within the intelligentsia that does not allow questioning of its premises

And I said, this to us - at least to me, I don't know what it is to other people in the film - is a bit like the Civil Rights movement
February 3rd, 2008, 10:28 pm
A Person

John Locke once asked this question:
"What came first, mind or matter"?

For the materialists who do science, the answer is a forgone conclusion and no other answers can be considered. Mindless matter came first and everything from the universe, to evolution to your decisions and actions are mind-less matter in motion. And anybody who presents factual evidence that suggests otherwise is just a toothless, "backwater", snake-handling, idiot who also probably believes in fairies, gnomes and hobgoblins.

Today they don't burn you at the stake, but they do burn your reputation and career at the stake for even questioning materialism.

This documentary exposes most modern scientists for what they are: puppets to this belief system. And by asking simple, direct questions Ben Stein shows his deftness as a masterful puppeteer.

Go see this documentary. It's hilarious!
April 20th, 2008, 5:32 pm
dddd

dddd wrote:And anybody who presents factual evidence that suggests otherwise is just a toothless, "backwater", snake-handling, idiot who also probably believes in fairies, gnomes and hobgoblins
Nah it's the ones who suggest otherwise while not presenting any factual evidence that get flunked.

dddd wrote:Today they don't burn you at the stake, but they do burn your reputation and career at the stake for even questioning materialism.
But it's only your reputation with godless materialist scientists so why should it matter to you?

But I suspect this is just another driveby posting and we won't hear fron dddd again, he's off to his snake handling church in the backwoods where he'll pray for his fairy to protect him from the big hobgoblin.
April 20th, 2008, 10:03 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:But I suspect this is just another driveby posting and we won't hear fron dddd again, he's off to his snake handling church in the backwoods where he'll pray for his fairy to protect him from the big hobgoblin.

Hmmmm... Hobgoblin...
beer_week_7_clip_image002.jpg
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
April 20th, 2008, 10:25 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

dddd wrote:John Locke once asked this question:
"What came first, mind or matter"?

For the materialists who do science, the answer is a forgone conclusion and no other answers can be considered. Mindless matter came first and everything from the universe, to evolution to your decisions and actions are mind-less matter in motion. And anybody who presents factual evidence that suggests otherwise is just a toothless, "backwater", snake-handling, idiot who also probably believes in fairies, gnomes and hobgoblins.

Where IS this "factual evidence," sirrah? In the past, I've asked this and been pointed to rainbows, beautiful sunsets and bombardier beetles. Perhaps "factual," but hardly compelling enough to justify dismantling science.
Today they don't burn you at the stake, but they do burn your reputation and career at the stake for even questioning materialism.

Look at it this way: If you are being paid to teach science, and you don't teach science, you are in breach of contract. Of course you're going to get in trouble. If you prefer to argue about philosophy, get some training there and get a job teaching philosophy. How difficult is that concept?
This documentary exposes most modern scientists for what they are: puppets to this belief system. And by asking simple, direct questions Ben Stein shows his deftness as a masterful puppeteer.

Go see this documentary. It's hilarious!

I'll go only if the ticket is free. And if I'm not doing something more worthwhile with my time, like clipping my toenails or petting my cat.
April 21st, 2008, 2:04 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Ben Stein's awesome! Movie was awesome! I only wish more molecular biologists and scientist like Michael Behe were in the film.
May 4th, 2008, 7:17 am
joey

joey wrote:Ben Stein's awesome! Movie was awesome!
Awsome!

joey wrote:I only wish more molecular biologists and scientist like Michael Behe

It must be lonely not to have scientist friends. I'll wish for more people to like him too.
May 4th, 2008, 11:00 am
A Person

Tell me something folks, what do you believe in? do you believe in the evolution theory or in creation? Because whoever reads this, let me just say this little bit,…what is there to really grasp with evolution? Now, now don’t go blow me off as a creationist and not read the rest. Are you an evolutionist because many people now in America believe that or are you truly putting your trust in that because you REALLY believe it for yourself? You have to ask yourself that question. If someone can give me right now ONE good source for the origin of evolution, then maybe we can make something of it, but I’m telling you my friends, no evolutionist can answer that, because they do not know where we came from. Indeed, they do make up excuses and alley ways to escape confrontation. Now, …let me give you something powerful that I have proof for. Everything in life needs a creator, correct? A painting, a house, a computer…everything. But some people say that the most incredible surrounding that we live on, and the things that we see in everyday life, came from nothing. From a single cell and it “just evolved”. Or the whole Big Bang. You need a Creator. I can tell you from personal experience that I have one on one fellowship with that Creator. The one who created everything you see. Go ahead laugh. I’m sure it sounds crazy. And that’s fine. But every scientist will come to a dead end when they pursue this origin of evolution. I’m serious, if you can find me just ONE source, that would be interesting, but there isn’t. The conclusion to the matter is that there IS a Creator. And whether you believe that or not, it doesn’t change the fact that it is the truth. That’s like saying…”ok, well I don’t believe that someone painted that picture over there. It just kind of jumped up on the board!” nd in response to the “we don’t know where we came from”. Guess what? I do know. It’s quite simple. And you get to enjoy studying all the great things about science while you do it. Genesis 1:1, “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” Do something for me. I don’t expect you to believe this right away and be like “yea, you’re right..i’m sold”. No, find out for yourself. Do something that you may have never done before…talk to God, quietly where no one will bother you and ask Him to reveal to you the truth. See what happens. Gotta run…it’s late.
May 7th, 2008, 6:22 am
drew

walloftext.gif

Another Weds, another anonymous drive-by troll.
May 7th, 2008, 9:07 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

I had to go to the U.S. to see the movie, as it was not playing in my city. In fact, I could not find any theatres in Canada showing it. (Only an hours drive, but still).

Phil
May 7th, 2008, 9:14 am
Phil Theodore

Phil Theodore wrote:I had to go to the U.S. to see the movie, as it was not playing in my city. In fact, I could not find any theatres in Canada showing it. (Only an hours drive, but still).

You drove an hour to see this howler? Dedicated to first-hand knowledge in the extreme, eh?
May 8th, 2008, 6:22 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Return to Religion