·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Gay Funeral Protests, Fred Phelps & God Hates Fags

by BecauseHeLives | Published on May 23rd, 2007, 10:15 am | Religion
The world is full of lunatics, isn't it?

BecauseHeLives wrote:The world is full of lunatics, isn't it?

Full to overflowing, mon. :cry:
May 23rd, 2007, 10:33 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:Looks like this kid at Liberty U took some serious umbrage at the reports of Fred Phelps planning to protest at Jerry's funeral. Boy, wouldn't that have made for some interesting headlines if the police hadn't stepped in? :twisted:
Personally, I revile violence in any form, but I suppose if these guys just HAVE to blow something up, I'd rather they go ahead and blow each other up instead of using their vicious explosives on innocent people. And Fred Phelps is quite a long way from innocence.
May 23rd, 2007, 10:52 am
Questioner

I can't decide whether this is for real or a parody, but the Westboro Baptist Church is capable of anything. Any parody the Landover Baptist people could come up with pales compared to this.

It's worth seeing it through to the [strikeout] fat lady [/strikeout] saccharine little girl sings.
That's what convinces me it's real, I don't believe a satirist would do that to a child - that takes faith.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
June 26th, 2007, 2:28 pm
A Person

I haven't watched the video, but I've seen it talked about on a couple of forums. I can imagine what it has, and that's sickening enough, thanx.

Still, one can easily understand where these people would get the idea that God hates everyone in the world but them. All you have to do is read the Bible to find the underpinnings of a world-wide hatred, one that is so strong and long-lasting that the vast majority of all the humans that ever existed would end up in a place of infinite torture. What other conclusion could a literal reader come to, but that God hates pretty much everyone you see when you walk out of your church? :?
June 26th, 2007, 2:43 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

It really does seem to be genuine http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/was ... 79&print=1

WASHINGTON -- The Hollywood-based company that owns the rights to the 1980s benefit single "We Are the World" has asked a controversial Kansas church to remove its "God Hates the World" parody from its Web site.

But officials at the Rev. Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church, citing their right to satire and free speech, refused. What's more, they're standing by their version's warning that Americans are doomed to eat their children.

"You'll eat your kids, you hateful people," church members sang on the church's Web site over scrolling images of picketing Westboro members. "It's too late to change (God's) mind."

The song takes its theme from the Old Testament book of Deuteronomy, which says, "Thou shalt eat ... the flesh of thy sons and daughters," said Shirley Phelps-Roper of the Topeka-based church.

"No," she said in an interview, "we're not being metaphorical."

That's even sillier that the "Christians are all going to get their heads chopped off"

The video is funny if you think of it as a parody, and ver disturbing since it's real.
June 26th, 2007, 2:47 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:Image

This image reminds me of the photo that CNN.com posted yesterday of that Indonesian terror suspect they interviewed. To look at the photo, he was a sweet-looking, smiling young man who I would have had no problem chatting with and maybe developing a friendship. Then you read that behind that sweet smile lurks a universal hatred and a violent imagination that would set the world on fire if given a chance. Could this girl be the same sort of person? :cry:
June 26th, 2007, 2:48 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

I believe that children are born innocent and amoral. Their parents and neighbours instill values and morals in them. I'm sure she's an unwitting dupe now. What she'll be like in 18 years - who knows. Maybe she'll see the obscenity around her and get away or maybe she's doomed to become another mindless bigot.
June 26th, 2007, 2:54 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:I believe that children are born innocent and amoral. Their parents and neighbours instill values and morals in them. I'm sure she's an unwitting dupe now. What she'll be like in 18 years - who knows. Maybe she'll see the obscenity around her and get away or maybe she's doomed to become another mindless bigot.

Based on my experience in life, I think there are certain things in the personality that develop early and never leave, no matter what changes may come about during the course of a life. The capacity for empathy, the scope and nature of one's tribal associations and hierarchical attitudes... that sort of thing. I could easily be wrong, I know -- I base my statement only on the anecdotal evidence I know of first hand. But a think the lives of these children may be deeply anti-social regardless of what happens when they grow up.
June 26th, 2007, 3:06 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

I've seen that video and those idiots are grinning from ear to ear throughout the whole thing. People like this shouldn't be allowed around children.
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you "choose" to respond to it.

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote: If you believe things that are contradicted by the evidence, then you are on a path built on falsehoods.
June 26th, 2007, 4:17 pm
RebelSnake

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:But a think the lives of these children may be deeply anti-social regardless of what happens when they grow up.
The odds are against her - but of grand-daddy Fred's 13 kids, four have 'fallen away' (and therefore ostracised) so there's a 30% chance. If not, and if the rapture doesn't come as expected (by them) her future is likely settled as another inbred Phelps-Hockenbarger.
June 26th, 2007, 4:30 pm
A Person

That's even sillier that the "Christians are all going to get their heads chopped off"

That's not silly at all. Its prophesy. Those who refuse to worship the beast and take the mark will be beheaded likely into the millions. Sounds like an arab ritual spreading throughout the world, huh?

"And I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years." (Rev. 20:4)
June 26th, 2007, 9:10 pm
BecauseHeLives

You're right. I'm sorry, it's no sillier, it's exactly as stupid. Both are based on the same source, just different chapters.

Deuteronomy 28:53 And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.

Jeremiah 19:9 And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend

Ezekiel 5:10 Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers; and I will execute judgments in thee, and the whole remnant of thee will I scatter into all the winds.

Presumably this has to happen before your heads get chopped off, otherwise it would be difficult to chew.
June 26th, 2007, 10:30 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:You're right. I'm sorry, it's no sillier, it's exactly as stupid. Both are based on the same source, just different chapters.

Deuteronomy 28:53 And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.

Jeremiah 19:9 And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend

Ezekiel 5:10 Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers; and I will execute judgments in thee, and the whole remnant of thee will I scatter into all the winds.

Presumably this has to happen before your heads get chopped off, otherwise it would be difficult to chew.

Sometimes I think you're just hopeless.
June 26th, 2007, 10:43 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote: Sounds like an arab ritual spreading throughout the world, huh?

No, not really.
June 27th, 2007, 8:45 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote: Sounds like an arab ritual spreading throughout the world, huh?

No, not really.

Oh really? Everytime you hear of a beheading these days its coming from some muslim dominated arab country.
June 27th, 2007, 8:54 am
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Oh really? Everytime you hear of a beheading these days its coming from some muslim dominated arab country.

The world is much bigger than what the media reports on my friend.
June 27th, 2007, 9:48 am
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

And that changes my accusation how?
June 27th, 2007, 10:04 am
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

Because you are focusing on only one faction of these when in reality more people were killed in parts of Africa from beheadings where there were no muslim govt to be found. It happens to be a fast and effective way of killing a person regardless of faith or lack there-of.
June 27th, 2007, 10:11 am
Sanjuro

BecauseHeLives wrote:Sometimes I think you're just hopeless.
Well it's good news that sometimes you think.

The bit about chopping heads off in Revelations 20 comes after a whole lot of other things that might give you a bit of warning. There's 19 chapters of some pretty obvious things to come first, four beasts with six wings, full of eyes, the sun going dark, stars falling to Earth, the sea turning to blood, a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars, a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. etc. etc.

Compared with all the other Scream Channel horrors in Revelation, having your head chopped off is the least of your worries.

Decapitation has gone out of fashion in the Western world, but it used to be all the rage. I'll guarantee it won't be reintroduced by atheists.
June 27th, 2007, 10:13 am
A Person

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

Because you are focusing on only one faction of these when in reality more people were killed in parts of Africa from beheadings where there were no muslim govt to be found. It happens to be a fast and effective way of killing a person regardless of faith or lack there-of.

You are smoking weed if you think muslims aren't behind the beheadings in Africa dude.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6681795.stm

http://www.meforum.org/article/713

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/conten ... 045~db=all
Beheadings have made a dramatic resurgence in the past four years especially with the introduction of videotaped executions broadcast in the mass media. The use of beheadings has a longstanding history. Beheadings have been used in a state and non-state capacity, for punishment or intimidation, against leaders, civilians and warring combatants, during times of peace and that of upheaval. Beheadings today reproduce the characteristics of past beheadings as well as deviate from them. Contemporary beheadings have taken on a more criminal nature while beheadings of the past had more legitimacy and some even were considered honorable. Current beheading tactics include unexpected and illegal targets, unorthodox and barbaric techniques, and irregular display to an unprepared public. Although Islamic militants are the predominant beheaders, there is evidence that beheadings are being conducted by non-Islamic entities and in unexpected locations. If the current trend in the use of beheadings continues, it will be necessary to develop countermeasures, which will be facilitated with an understanding of the political, cultural, and criminal motives of the beheading offenders along with their tactics.

Do a search with the combination muslim/africa/beheading and you'll come up with a slew of news reports of beheadings in Africa by muslims.
June 27th, 2007, 10:23 am
BecauseHeLives

The bit about chopping heads off in Revelations 20 comes after a whole lot of other things that might give you a bit of warning. There's 19 chapters of some pretty obvious things to come first, four beasts with six wings, full of eyes, the sun going dark, stars falling to Earth, the sea turning to blood, a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars, a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. etc. etc.

You ro realize that much that happens in revelation is metaphor don't you? Maybe not...

Compared with all the other Scream Channel horrors in Revelation, having your head chopped off is the least of your worries.

I won't be here when it happens but lots of those Christians that get saved after the rapture will have to endure those horrors.

Decapitation has gone out of fashion in the Western world, but it used to be all the rage.

It appears that fashion statement is coming back into style very quickly. The television and internet is making sure of that.

I'll guarantee it won't be reintroduced by atheists.

I actually agree with you. It won't be atheists that do it. Atheists are just pawns of Satan. The real people to fear in those days are the ones who bow to the anti-christ.
June 27th, 2007, 10:30 am
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:You ro realize that much that happens in revelation is metaphor don't you? Maybe not...
It all seems like psilocybin hallucinations to me, but if you're saying they'll only be metaphorical decapitations, then why all the fuss?
BecauseHeLives wrote:I won't be here when it happens but lots of those Christians that get saved after the rapture will have to endure those horrors.
No one could accuse you of false modesty.
But for those less perfect that you, a quick decapitation on the way to heaven doesn't sound too bad.

Apparently over 25% of Americans believe the rapture will happen in 2007. (The same 25% who apparently believed it would be last year, or in 2000 - all the way back to Paul who thought it would be in his lifetime.)
BecauseHeLives wrote:I actually agree with you. It won't be atheists that do it. Atheists are just pawns of Satan. The real people to fear in those days are the ones who bow to the anti-christ.
Since there's no way to tell which is Christ and which is Anti-Christ, it's best to steer clear of all those bowing. Make them stick to bowing in their churches, and don't give them the power to make you bow to their god.
June 27th, 2007, 12:04 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:You ro realize that much that happens in revelation is metaphor don't you? Maybe not...
It all seems like psilocybin hallucinations to me, but if you're saying they'll only be metaphorical decapitations, then why all the fuss?

Well, he did say "much" of the stuff in Revelation is metaphor. Give him latitude to tell us what he thinks is literal, and he doesn't have to support it with actual textual support.

Of course, the way some Christians act, you could make a case that metaphorically, they've decapitated themselves, eh?
June 27th, 2007, 12:08 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

A Person wrote: Apparently over 25% of Americans believe the rapture will happen in 2007. (The same 25% who apparently believed it would be last year, or in 2000 - all the way back to Paul who thought it would be in his lifetime.)

Which oddly enough coincides with Bush's approval rating. LOL
June 27th, 2007, 12:10 pm
Sanjuro

Return to Religion