·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Time Warner Cable Hates YOU!

by Liv | Published on April 3rd, 2009, 1:19 pm | Greensboro
It appears the solution is to switch to Earthlink if you're not already with them...

Earthlink isn't the same as RoadRunner, it just uses the cable network, but not they have their own internet peering, and they're not bound by RoadRunner's stupidity. I've already with Earthlink and they confirmed there are no caps nor any plans for them. I'll be switching to them once TW announces a timetable for this (I live in Rochester, NY). via

They bill through TWC and everything... I've been with them for 4 years and never had a problem.

Interesting tidbit there. The article I read only says "Time Warner" not "Road Runner." I'm an Earthlink customer. I'll let you know if I get any metering put on my bill.
April 3rd, 2009, 1:38 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:Interesting tidbit there. The article I read only says "Time Warner" not "Road Runner." I'm an Earthlink customer. I'll let you know if I get any metering put on my bill.

I asked this question on another forum. A response came back that ALL customers connected to TWC will be billed this way, not just Road Runner folks. Run if you want, but there's only one way to hide. :angry-screaming:
April 3rd, 2009, 2:47 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

I'm not sure how they can... without sending out some sort of correspondence that they're changing the contract.... I've yet to receive any letter....

I have a feeling this isn't going to go through with the amount of negativity arising out of it... There's no way.... It would help if Hulu, NBC, Netflix and some other big hitters went to bat with an injunction here.
April 3rd, 2009, 5:30 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I left Time Warner years ago due to bad customer service and modem reliability issues. I now use Clearwire, which has been 100% reliable, but the speed can't currently match Roadrunner. Clearwire is supposed to upgrade the local network to a WiMax platform within the next year which will push download speeds into a more competitive range. Roadrunner's new tiered pricing might cause Clearwire to move forward with their plans a bit sooner!

Tim Flowers
http://www.progress4greensboro.com
April 5th, 2009, 1:51 pm
timflowers

Unfortunately Clearwire isn't available at my home... I do believe I have DSL option but I've never looked into rates or compatibility with my systems.
April 5th, 2009, 2:32 pm
Liv

Looks like at least ONE member of Congress is taking notice of this BS. Natch, it isn't Howard Coble.
April 8th, 2009, 8:05 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

I can't say enough good things about Sue, Roch, and Ed who have all gone to war over the Time Warner Cable Cap thing. The implications of capping bandwidth in an area known as a leader of the Internet seems ludicrous.

Ed's latest attack comes in the News & Record... which is well worth a read, and worth pointing out. I'm not sure how in other countries they're getting broadband for a 1/4 of what we pay here in the states, yet TWC is complaining they need more money.

This is where Mayor Johnson and the City Council can make a difference. Someone needs to step up and lead the charge, to coordinate strategy and make it happen. This could be a defining moment for Greensboro. Let's make it a good one.
via

Indeed in Johnson, is ever going to do anything for the people of the Triad, now is the time. Stand up... it's a call to arms.
April 12th, 2009, 8:03 am
Liv

Liv wrote:I'm not sure how in other countries they're getting broadband for a 1/4 of what we pay here in the states, yet TWC is complaining they need more money

What other countries would those be?
broadbandprices.gif
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
April 12th, 2009, 10:01 am
A Person

I know they were advertising 9 pounds and some change a month for broadband while I was over there... That's a huge difference even considering the exchange rate on my $50 a month TWC leased line.
April 12th, 2009, 12:12 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:they were advertising 9 pounds and some change a month

And AT&T are advertising ADSL broadband for $14.95/month in N Carolina.

Which, considering the exchange rate, is the same. Compare like with like.

It's also a lot less than the $65/month I pay, but then I don't live in range of ADSL or cable so I have little choice and my service is far better than basic ADSL.
April 12th, 2009, 1:15 pm
A Person

I've never heard of the At&T service being available in the area. In fact the only competitive service I know is the DSL options through the phone companies, or a obscure cellular network which unfortunately doesn't reach me down in the burb.

I have no problem if TWC pulls this crap... I've been looking for a reason to drop them and get BBC on Dish or Direct TV.... The only reason I've stayed is because I have the internet with them... screw with me on that, and I'll drop them all together...
April 12th, 2009, 8:57 pm
Liv

For those with price plans please note that TWC can and according to their website will charge you for "overages"

http://tinyurl.com/cjv8wv

That is the link of their page answering come questions. It is a cached page, saved by Google. TWC took it down and put a new one up deleting the info about the small fee ($75) that could be charged if you go over.
April 13th, 2009, 9:23 pm
bbsmith2

Its ridiculous how much we have to pay over here in Australia. I would LOVE to be paying the same as you are in the States. Just looking at this graph, I pay nearly 3 times as much as you in the states, and this ratio has only increased in the last 6 years since that graph was made. Particularly since Telstra has increased their costs per gigabyte pending new government legislation. So Liv, I might be the fifty-ith person to say this, but sorry, your wrong. If you don't know what your complaining about, then don't. Though, I must agree with you that, universally, broadband is overpriced.

Read for information all about Australian Broadband:

http://andiyar.livejournal.com/44257.html
April 14th, 2009, 5:19 am
andrewt_ss

I think that TWC will eventually find that the market forces of supply and demand will turn against them. Their competitors will reap benefits from thousands of disgruntled customers doing everything they can to keep flat-rate billing. Their only hope is that people will be too lazy to get out and look for alternatives.
April 14th, 2009, 11:36 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

This Saturday, at their offices on Spring Garden.

Sanjuro will have bricks available for all 'boring members. I have a rusty pitchfork. Who will bring the torches? :twisted:
April 15th, 2009, 8:59 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:Who will bring the torches? :twisted:

When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
April 15th, 2009, 9:02 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Sa-WEET! :lol:
April 15th, 2009, 9:06 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Si se puede!

Oops... wrong protest.

Hell... invite them too.
April 15th, 2009, 11:19 am
Liv

Time Warner, backs down and cowers in fear.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009 ... plan_in_ny

Let's hope this occurs here.
April 16th, 2009, 1:36 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:Time Warner, backs down and cowers in fear.

Interesting. They initially announced that they were going to "test market" this crap in 4 cities, then trimmed it down to 2 -- saying that they wouldn't want to crimp the Texas markets' internet businesses. Now, they've backed down in New York, possibly because a NY representative decided to support his district in this mess.

Now they're looking to only give Greensboro the shaft, because neither senator or Howard Coble says a word? Pah! Let's get out to the protest Saturday and tell them we're going with Dish or DSL or whatever other choices are out there.
April 16th, 2009, 1:44 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:
Liv wrote:Time Warner, backs down and cowers in fear.

Interesting. They initially announced that they were going to "test market" this crap in 4 cities, then trimmed it down to 2 -- saying that they wouldn't want to crimp the Texas markets' internet businesses. Now, they've backed down in New York, possibly because a NY representative decided to support his district in this mess.

Now they're looking to only give Greensboro the shaft, because neither senator or Howard Coble says a word?
Pah! Let's get out to the protest Saturday and tell them we're going with Dish or DSL or whatever other choices are out there.

Am I the only one that saw this part: "A U.S. Senator from New York says Time Warner Cable will shelve its new Internet pricing plan in all its test markets, including the Triad, "in the face of enormous community opposition"
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
April 16th, 2009, 1:55 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Sanjuro wrote:Am I the only one that saw this part: "A U.S. Senator from New York says Time Warner Cable will shelve its new Internet pricing plan in all its test markets, including the Triad, "in the face of enormous community opposition"

I thought it was covered in opening line of the article:

In the First Line of the article, they wrote:Time Warner Cable is postponing a plan for new caps on Internet data use in the Triad.
April 16th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Serendipitous

Sanjuro wrote:Am I the only one that saw this part: "A U.S. Senator from New York says Time Warner Cable will shelve its new Internet pricing plan in all its test markets, including the Triad, "in the face of enormous community opposition"

Hm. I thought for sure that when I looked at the article it said that TWC was only dropping Rochester. I hope I wasn't reading what I expected to read, based on Liv's post.
April 16th, 2009, 2:22 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:

Hm. I thought for sure that when I looked at the article it said that TWC was only dropping Rochester. I hope I wasn't reading what I expected to read, based on Liv's post.

I just went to the article again... It looks like they make updates but I don't see any "last updated" stamps. The first line now reads:

Time Warner Cable is halting plans for new caps and fees on Internet data use in the Triad and other test markets.

As you can see, that's different from the quote I posted earlier.
April 16th, 2009, 2:26 pm
Serendipitous

Return to Greensboro