·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Where's Wicker of 98.7 Simon?

by Serendipitous | Published on May 12th, 2009, 1:21 pm | Greensboro
simon.jpg

I'm not a loyal/regular listener of 98.7 Simon, but I did notice the absence of Jeff Wicker, as in The Wicker Show (morning show with Jeff Wicker).

I'm pretty sure I heard him on Friday morning, but yesterday and today, Jeff's been gone and no mention of him. Carmen and Skip have said nothing (at least not during the hour when I listen). My minimal web searches have turned up no news.

Anyone have any info?

Not sure... If an announcement was made, it was done when they first got on air or after 7am.

Program Director Sean Sellars has taken over duties there.

This is really interesting, the show had great ratings and was usually voted tops in the area.

Industry news just has this cryptic statment

:
Variety Hits WSMW-FM (98-7 Simon)/Greensboro PD Sean Sellers adds on-air morning duties
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
May 12th, 2009, 1:49 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Wow, listened this morning.. Those three have ZERO chemistry now Wicker has been replaced. Really sad.
May 14th, 2009, 12:08 pm
Sanjuro

Yep, Jeff Wicker was let go from Entercom... apparently it's a ratings issue: i.e. 98.7 Simon isn't getting the ratings the station operators want.

If you want radio industry news specific to the Greensboro market, best place to go is www.radio-info.com and their boards. Enough radio employees post there to fill in on the facts.
May 26th, 2009, 6:55 pm
mwooldri

They want ratings... well then... that's easy... hire my ass... They'll be the No.1 Station this side of ole Miss within a week...
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
May 26th, 2009, 7:31 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I've listened to the show a little bit this week. It sounds like they're "getting used to each other" but it's still severely lacking in chemistry and such.

Sean's a program director... and even if he slowed down and deepened his voice a little he could sound K-BILLYish, he just doesn't have "it".

I can't describe "it"... Oh wait, yes I can! They HAD Jeff Wicker... And from what I've heard, he was let go based on a budget cut and ratings... yeah whatever...
May 28th, 2009, 7:25 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Well I'm afraid their ratings will be down even further. I cant stand to listen anymore and based on what I'm seeing on Facebook, neither can others. For the next few days I will be skimming the channels. One of the problems our area has is an extreme lack of radio programming choices. Might be time to fire up the old Sirius subscription again.
May 28th, 2009, 7:38 am
Sanjuro

Well they did this to Kent Bates over at WXII too.... Drove me bonkers the other day to watch the show... and I've always been a fan of that channel even though it's not as centered on the Greensboro area.
May 28th, 2009, 9:12 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I've been wondering where Jeff was. The morning definately lacks alot w/out him - it was about the chemistry between those three that made it. I probably won't listen in the morning anymore. TOO SAD!
June 5th, 2009, 8:21 am
christieh

Jeff Wicker update! I read last week that he is now at WTQR (I think that's 104.1). You can hear him Monday thru Friday, and I think his hours are between 2:00 and 7:00 PM.
September 28th, 2010, 6:37 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Return to Greensboro