Piedmont Adventure: African Safari at Lazy 5 Ranch

by
Published on August 7th, 2006, 6:25 pm
Rift: Greensboro

Lions, Tigers, and bears... oh my! Or should I say No way! I am not about to drag my fat butt out in 95F weather to go to the Asheboro Zoo. But theres something even better, and it's only about 50 miles from Greensboro. It's called Lazy 5 Ranch.

Lazy 5 Ranch is in Mooresville, NC. South of Greensboro on I-85. Lazy 5 Ranch is a Jurassic Park style wildlife refuge, minus the T-rex, plus endangered animals from over 6 continents.

It's a 3.5 mile scenic motor tour that literally has giraffes, ostrich, rhinos, pigs, deer, goats, zebras, and other diverse animals feeding out of the palm of your hands.

It took us about 3 hours to visit the Lazy 5 ranch, it's adjoining gardens, blacksmith shop, and playground. It's like North Carolina's version of Yellowstone, except there is no old faithful.

Huge Bison that made our car look like a matchbox car emerged, along with animals the size of small airliners. Bird the size of big bird stuck there heads in our car windows and were literally close enough It could have put a CD in the player.

Lazy 5 ranch is an incredible, and wonderful adventure unlike anything in North Carolina. No cages or fences separate you, and the animal kingdom.

On May 22, 1993 after several years of hard work and planning, the Lazy 5 Ranch was officially open. Lazy 5 Ranch is now the home for over 750 animals from 6 continents. These animals can be viewed everyday of the year by horse drawn wagon or from your vehicle while traveling along a 3-1/2 mile safari ride.

The purpose of the Lazy 5 Ranch is to provide an excellent environment and helping the recovery of several endangered species including the Grevy Zebra Scimitar Horned Oryx and Ring-tailed Lemur.

The Lazy 5 Ranch
15100 Highway 150 East
Mooresville, NC 28115

Phone Number
(704) 663-5100

Fax Number
(704) 664-1549

[email protected]
August 7th, 2006, 6:25 pm

We've been there a couple times and it's a very cool place. We were part of a birthday party so we took the shuttle/tram ride. Got to see, feel, and smell the animals right up close. Kids went nuts over it.

You don't really appreciate how freakin big a giraffe really is until you feed on from your bare hands. Their heads are about the size of your upper body.

Very gentle, and very smart. Moody too. Musta been a female. :P
August 8th, 2006, 6:52 am
Matt

I just want to say that Mooresville is more than 50 miles from Greensboro. I have to drive that way every damned day.

And THAT said, I had no idea this place existed. Very cool. I'm gonna have to go and shout lines like "Life will find a way!" or "They DO move in herds!"
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

Interviewer: This is Santa Barbara.
August 8th, 2006, 9:09 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Matt wrote: Musta been a female. :P

Hey!

No honestly we almost decided to drive through with the kids in the hatch, and the hatch open... That might not have been a good idea, I'm glad we decided against it.
August 8th, 2006, 9:14 am
Liv

Follow Me
Back last year in August I was setting my daughter up to go to school in New Orleans (two weeks before Katrina) and I decided to take all my girls to a place called Global Wildlife Center which is very similar to the Lazy 5 Ranch you are discussing. I can't recall ever seeing my girls grin and laugh so much as they did that day. Below is the link to the place. They take you out in these long covered wagons which is way cool...

http://www.globalwildlife.com/main/safaritour.html
August 8th, 2006, 10:37 am
Jovick

Yeah definatly will make you a good parent for the day if you have little ones....

Oh and buy the buckets of food for the extra money, definately worth it...
August 8th, 2006, 12:27 pm
Liv

Follow Me

Return to Greensboro