·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Raleigh Sheriff to Greensboro P.D. "We'll race ya!"

by Liv | Published on July 23rd, 2009, 1:14 pm | Greensboro
nc_sheriff_corvette_cop_car.jpg
nc_sheriff_corvette_cop_car.jpg (14.81 KiB) Viewed 840 times

I remember when it was a huge deal that Texas had implemented 275 Horse Z28s back in the 90s. Raleigh Sheriff has installed blue lights on a $65,000 Corvette Z06, a vehicle Chevrolet built to rival the Dodge's V-10 Viper. To put this into perspective a typical Cop car, a Ford Crown Victoria with a police interceptor option puts out only 235 horsepower and does 0-60 in 8.7 seconds. I've had Hondas that go faster than that. The Corvette Z06 with it's 505 Horsepower can pound the pavement to 60 MPH in only 3.7.

Corvette Z06 uses advanced lightweight materials typically found only in the most exotic supercars. Use of weight-saving materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium and magnesium give the 3,132-pound car a highly competitive weight-to-power ratio of 6.2 pounds per horsepower.

What does Greensboro have? A Jeep.

The chances of outrunning a Greensboro Police Officer: Pretty darn good.

The Chances of outrunning a Raleigh Sheriff in a Z06: Ha, ha, ha, ha.... lol.....

I swear to God, the other day I stopped at the post office on Yanceyville, and the cops had someone pulled over the parking lot. The cop car? A unmarked gold family mini-van... I kid you not. I wouldn't even pull over for a mini-van. I'd just drive around a corner real fast till they tipped over.

On his first night on patrol in the Corvette, the deputy nabbed a car carrying drugs. Harrison said the car's stealthy, low-slung profile makes it difficult for drug runners or speeders to spot.

"Certainly, most people don't see a Corvette as a law enforcement vehicle," he said. via

So what happens when the officer has to arrest someone? That's a 2-seat car, right? :lol:
July 23rd, 2009, 1:31 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:So what happens when the officer has to arrest someone? That's a 2-seat car, right? :lol:

Call a real police cruiser.....

Though I'm secret hoping they bring back the Police Box here in the states.
July 23rd, 2009, 1:47 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I sure hope it's got a strong underpinning. An officer gets to chasing someone at 100 mph -- if they hit the brakes and make that car plow into the rear end, it's good night forever, I bet.
July 23rd, 2009, 2:00 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
I would hope before The Sheriff use the car they fitted it with a roll cage, 5 point harnesses, fire extinguisher, etc... You don't drive a car like that in a pursuit fashion without those common sense add-ons....

It may actually have the 5 point harnesses from the factory...
July 23rd, 2009, 2:11 pm
Liv

Finally. A cop car that can overtake my 420hp truck.

:lol:
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
July 23rd, 2009, 6:31 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:Finally. A cop car that can overtake my 420hp truck.

I'm sure if you're already going a truck is great... but off the line, my Taurus would roast you as you sit there and spin your wheels.....
July 23rd, 2009, 6:43 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:

I'm sure if you're already going a truck is great... but off the line, my Taurus would roast you as you sit there and spin your wheels.....

Actually off the line is one of the Lighning's strong points so I's have to call you on that. Not even a vette can take me off the line except maybe the Z06. I can beat most anything on the 1/8 mile but on the 1/4 some catch up with me. Try 12.41 on the 1/4 mile. :)
July 23rd, 2009, 8:30 pm
BecauseHeLives

Does it have electronic traction control?
July 23rd, 2009, 9:28 pm
Liv

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Liv wrote:

Actually off the line is one of the Lighning's strong points so I's have to call you on that. Not even a vette can take me off the line except maybe the Z06. I can beat most anything on the 1/8 mile but on the 1/4 some catch up with me. Try 12.41 on the 1/4 mile. :)

Hows that thing geared?
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
July 24th, 2009, 6:52 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Sanjuro wrote:
Hows that thing geared?

Without looking it up, I'm betting it's a 3.73... on the SVT products.

They used to do a lot of 3.55 before the modern transmissions...
July 24th, 2009, 7:22 am
Liv

Liv wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:
Hows that thing geared?

Without looking it up, I'm betting it's a 3.73... on the SVT products.

They used to do a lot of 3.55 before the modern transmissions...

Correct. 3.73 gears

I'm not sure why the traction is so good off the start but it really is pretty good. 380 hp is stock. lower pulley, filter and chip (and some other things push it up close to 420 hp). It will spin if you floor it off the start. 3/4 pedal the first few yards then pull pedal there on.

I have seen some mean Tauruses out there though.
July 24th, 2009, 7:59 am
BecauseHeLives

Return to Greensboro