·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Serendipitous Says "Simon Says Get Up" Sucks

by Sanjuro | Published on October 12th, 2009, 10:17 am | Greensboro
Guest wrote:Guests are not paid to be on any radio show. You should know that, since you're an expert!

Can't blame a guy for trying to give you an "out". :wink:

Serendipitous wrote:In the car this morning, we turned the radio on and it was still tuned into 98.7 from last night. So we just left it on Simon... In reference to the Get Up show, my daughter asked, "Are they getting any better?"

"Not really," I responded.

"So why do you still listen?" she asked. "Hmm. Good question," I thought.

I asked her, "Have you ever heard the expression, 'It's like watching a train wreck?'"

Ha ha ha! You would either have to be a psychic or have incredible timing to ever "watch" a train wreck. A train wreck is clearly something that you cannot plan to watch. Perhaps you mean, "look at" a train wreck? Please correct this with your child at once.
October 12th, 2009, 10:20 am
PeePie

PeePie wrote:
Serendipitous wrote:In the car this morning, we turned the radio on and it was still tuned into 98.7 from last night. So we just left it on Simon... In reference to the Get Up show, my daughter asked, "Are they getting any better?"

"Not really," I responded.

"So why do you still listen?" she asked. "Hmm. Good question," I thought.

I asked her, "Have you ever heard the expression, 'It's like watching a train wreck?'"

Ha ha ha! You would either have to be a psychic or have incredible timing to ever "watch" a train wreck. A train wreck is clearly something that you cannot plan to watch. Perhaps you mean, "look at" a train wreck? Please correct this with your child at once.

Dammit, you went and outed her psychic family.... like they knew you would... :scared-eek:
October 12th, 2009, 10:52 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

PeePie wrote:Ha ha ha! You would either have to be a psychic or have incredible timing to ever "watch" a train wreck.

Wow. Who ever thought that a common expression might have to be logically analyzed? I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of "I could care less."
:doh:
October 12th, 2009, 10:57 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Sanjuro wrote:
PeePie wrote:Ha ha ha! You would either have to be a psychic or have incredible timing to ever "watch" a train wreck.

Dammit, you went and outed her psychic family.... like they knew you would... :scared-eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dana Carvey on SNL circa 1988, quiz show sketch: "My name is Lane Maxwell, and I'm a professional psychic. I'm the author of I Knew You were Going to Buy This Book."

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:

Wow. Who ever thought that a common expression might have to be logically analyzed? I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of "I could care less."
:doh:

I read that and thought of Dustin Hoffman's character in Rainman repeating Laurel and Hardy "Who's On First?" and how he didn't realize it was a joke. Of course, the character of Raymond is autistic. Without knowing "PeePie" (who I'd venture to guess is not autistic), we can only speculate what his/her excuse is for not being familiar with an expression and why he/she thinks there are only two possibilities that would enable anyone to watch a train wreck.
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
October 12th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Guest wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:
Guest wrote:OH MY GOD THEY ARE SOOO DUMB! They would never do this to just stir it up!!! They really believe this stuff!!! They are sooo stupid that I have to tune in every day to be certain that I am much smarter than they!!!! Please post the number to MENSA!!!!! I need to talk to someone smart!!!!

I see what you did there, Sean.

If you want people to get stirred up and call in, you know how to work that. You bait the audience by having one personality take one side, the other personality take the opposite, then you mock an 'argument' and throw it out to the audience to call in and support one or the other viewpoint. Nice attempt at a revision.

Hey Sean, do you guys still have guests or did that go away with Jeff Wicker? I assume the station cheaped out on that aspect of the show now?

Guests are not paid to be on any radio show. You should know that, since you're an expert!

Aw, how cute! Did "Sean" forget his login info? Maybe he should get his password reset then use that chip on his shoulder as a paperweight so he doesn't lose it again.
October 12th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Serendipitous

I have listened to 98.7Simon since moving back to Greensboro, in 2004. I was a big fan of Jeff Wicker, and of course I adore Skip. I agree that at times the show is now stale, but change is never easy. I have personally had many chances to host the morning show (4 times) when Jeff was still around. I believe that Carmen is probably the most boring person I have ever listened too, and my advice would be to just block her out the way a Mommy blocks out her children fighting. If you try that, I belive that you will find that Sean and Skip aren't bad at all.
Serendipitous wrote:
4814533.jpg

Back in May, I was wondering Where’s Wicker? So here we are, three months later. Jeff Wicker is still looking for a new radio gig, and we’re stuck with 98.7’s Simon Says Get Up!the new morning show hosted by Sean, Skip and Carmen.

I’m not a die-hard Wicker fan, but at least I could listen to him host the show without shouting like I have [define]Tourette syndrome[/define]! Even the promos of the words “GET UP!” make me want to hurt “the voice.” Anyone who knows me knows that trying to get me out of bed before I’m ready to roll out on my own is the same as a deathwish. Don’t do it! I will hurt you.

The music is still the same, and I love having a mix to listen to while I’m slowly waking up. One morning a caller asked for Buffett’s “Boat Drinks” and that was a great start! But then the crew had some of their pedestrian chatter and served up a buzz kill.

So the stories out there regarding Wicker’s departure were ratings were falling, they were making reductions… what else was “the word on the street?” I’m curious what the ratings have been like over the last three months and if Simon Says Savings (in having their PD host the show) was worth it.

It’s Simon Says Get Up. Not the Sean Sellers Show. Not the Carmen Show. Not the Skip Show. There’s a reason why the morning show was called “The Wicker Show.” Jeff, we miss you!

Maybe they're not my cup of tea, but for those of you out there who dig 'em, gimme your sales pitch. What's there to like???
October 13th, 2009, 5:47 am
PrincessPamela

PrincessPamela wrote:I have listened to 98.7Simon since moving back to Greensboro, in 2004. I was a big fan of Jeff Wicker, and of course I adore Skip. I agree that at times the show is now stale, but change is never easy. I have personally had many chances to host the morning show (4 times) when Jeff was still around. I believe that Carmen is probably the most boring person I have ever listened too, and my advice would be to just block her out the way a Mommy blocks out her children fighting. If you try that, I belive that you will find that Sean and Skip aren't bad at all.

Yeah, I must admit, the "Skip" guy was probably my favorite of the bunch. His irreverence often spiced up an otherwise dull segment (He plays the part of the piñata very well). The only thing I noticed after the morning show traded hands was Skip went from being the guy everyone always picked on with affection to the guy they would slam with a bit more malice. But then again I never listened to the show from beginning to end each day, so maybe it wasn't always that way. Completely agree about Carmen. I'm not sure if its just her on-air persona but she came across as really abrasive.
October 13th, 2009, 6:33 am
Sanjuro

Ummmm, Hello? "Who's On First" was never performed by Laurel and Hardy. That was THE most famous bit by Abbot and Costello. Get it right!
October 13th, 2009, 10:32 am
BudLou

BudLou wrote:Ummmm, Hello? "Who's On First" was never performed by Laurel and Hardy. That was THE most famous bit by Abbot and Costello. Get it right!

True, dat. Of course, another question is did the routine appear in "Rainman"? It's been a LONG time since I watched that film, so I couldn't say.
October 13th, 2009, 10:37 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

BudLou wrote:Ummmm, Hello? "Who's On First" was never performed by Laurel and Hardy. That was THE most famous bit by Abbot and Costello. Get it right!

Seredip, as BudLou points out, those are exactly the kind of rookie mistakes one would expect from an online blog. You better learn to step up your game and not fact-check even harder if you ever want to hit the airwaves! :dance:
October 13th, 2009, 12:30 pm
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:
PrincessPamela wrote:I have listened to 98.7Simon since moving back to Greensboro, in 2004. I was a big fan of Jeff Wicker, and of course I adore Skip. I agree that at times the show is now stale, but change is never easy. I have personally had many chances to host the morning show (4 times) when Jeff was still around. I believe that Carmen is probably the most boring person I have ever listened too, and my advice would be to just block her out the way a Mommy blocks out her children fighting. If you try that, I belive that you will find that Sean and Skip aren't bad at all.

Yeah, I must admit, the "Skip" guy was probably my favorite of the bunch. His irreverence often spiced up an otherwise dull segment (He plays the part of the piñata very well). The only thing I noticed after the morning show traded hands was Skip went from being the guy everyone always picked on with affection to the guy they would slam with a bit more malice. But then again I never listened to the show from beginning to end each day, so maybe it wasn't always that way. Completely agree about Carmen. I'm not sure if its just her on-air persona but she came across as really abrasive.

Skip is getting dragged down by the other two. Of course, maybe I'm biased because of the NoVA connection, but like you (Sanj) noted, "His irreverence often spiced up an otherwise dull segment." I've actually met him a few times at the JDRF awards dinners; he and Jeff worked well together.

As it was noted in the original thread, "Where's Wicker?" the chemistry just isn't there. It's a shame that "Sean" isn't doing more to work on improving the show.

Sanjuro wrote:

Seredip, as BudLou points out, those are exactly the kind of rookie mistakes one would expect from an online blog. You better learn to step up your game and not fact-check even harder if you ever want to hit the airwaves! :dance:

Oh frak! I know I'll never be a gold medalist in the not-checking-the-facts event, but maybe Carmen would be willing to post some pointers here on how to achieve that.
October 13th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Serendipitous

Serendipitous wrote:
Oh frak! I know I'll never be a gold medalist in the not-checking-the-facts event, but maybe Carmen would be willing to post some pointers here on how to achieve that.

:teasing-poke:
October 13th, 2009, 1:12 pm
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:
Serendipitous wrote:

:lol:

Wait a minute... What did you say her full name is?

Sanjuro wrote:Ms. "I will believe anything I see on the internet" Brown
October 13th, 2009, 1:28 pm
Serendipitous

Serendipitous wrote: It's a shame that "Sean" isn't doing more to work on improving the show.

Well to be fair, for all we know hes pulling two jobs over there since Jeff was axed. If their business is anything like mine "more with less" is the mantra of the season.
October 13th, 2009, 1:36 pm
Sanjuro

I believe that Sean is doing his best to "spice" up the "Get Up Show", but where I think he is having a hard time .. First, Carmen is just .. um, what's the word .. boring. Her laugh gets on my last nerve and I don't believe she brings anything interesting to the "table" . at least not on a daily basis. Second, Jeff Wicker's shoes would be some pretty BIG shoes to fill. The "picking on" Skip has gotten old. I feel somedays as if I am listening to my children in the car. I have co-hosted the morning show 4 times and I believe that I do a better job, so I would love to offer my services for FREE .. and give Carmen at least a month off. When I was there I would bring up topics that would light up the phone lines. That is what keeps people listening. They just lack "spice" these days, and that is why I believe a lot of people have tuned them out and turned them off, but Sean is giving it his best "boy scout" try .. in my opinion.
Serendipitous wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:
Serendipitous wrote:

:lol:

Wait a minute... What did you say her full name is?

Sanjuro wrote:Ms. "I will believe anything I see on the internet" Brown
October 14th, 2009, 7:48 am
PrincessPamela

Wait a sec, when were you there? They had one lady doing the show a while back that was really good (sorry, I dont remember the name right now). Was that you?
October 14th, 2009, 8:05 am
Sanjuro

PrincessPamela wrote:I believe that Sean is doing his best to "spice" up the "Get Up Show", but where I think he is having a hard time .. First, Carmen is just .. um, what's the word .. boring. Her laugh gets on my last nerve and I don't believe she brings anything interesting to the "table" . at least not on a daily basis. Second, Jeff Wicker's shoes would be some pretty BIG shoes to fill. The "picking on" Skip has gotten old. I feel somedays as if I am listening to my children in the car. I have co-hosted the morning show 4 times and I believe that I do a better job, so I would love to offer my services for FREE .. and give Carmen at least a month off. When I was there I would bring up topics that would light up the phone lines. That is what keeps people listening. They just lack "spice" these days, and that is why I believe a lot of people have tuned them out and turned them off, but Sean is giving it his best "boy scout" try .. in my opinion.

:clap: At least you "get it." They need something new and fresh. If they can't take criticism, and especially if they take the word "s-u-c-k-s" and translate that to "h-a-t-e," then they're in the wrong business.

And thanks, PrincessP, for joining G'boring and for posting. Be sure to check out the other forums... this thread is such a miniscule part of my interests. Heh, it's kind of sad that there's people out there who based on one little thread will judge others and talk trash about them, spreading hate. (But let's not go there... I think that's covered in another forum or two.)
October 14th, 2009, 8:57 am
Serendipitous

Serendipitous wrote: :clap: At least you "get it." They need something new and fresh.

Meh. I'm glad there are plenty of choices for radio in the morning. Even if they found something that is "new and fresh," it wouldn't be what I want for my commute. I get my entertainment using other media. I use radio for being informed.
October 14th, 2009, 9:10 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

SFI reads the paper on his commute.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
October 14th, 2009, 9:14 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:SFI reads the paper on his commute.

Well actually, no. I have a video unit in my car and I spend my time watching nothing but Wall-E on a continuous loop.
:auto-layrubber:
October 14th, 2009, 10:15 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:
Liv wrote:SFI reads the paper on his commute.

Well actually, no. I have a video unit in my car and I spend my time watching nothing but Wall-E on a continuous loop.
:auto-layrubber:

Just be sure you're eating a bowl of cereal at the same time.

And maybe even sending text messages!

:mrgreen:
October 14th, 2009, 10:35 am
Serendipitous

I remember back in like oh, 1993 I had a Sony Watchman embedded into the dash of my car, and we use to watch the show "Viper" out on High Point Road while cruising... man, those where the days.
October 14th, 2009, 2:13 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:I remember back in like oh, 1993 I had a Sony Watchman embedded into the dash of my car, and we use to watch the show "Viper" out on High Point Road while cruising... man, those where the days.

I didn't think anyone remembered that show....
ad_874.jpg
Viper
ad_874.jpg (12.52 KiB) Viewed 52 times
October 15th, 2009, 10:52 am
Pineview Style

What's weird is there use to be a guy in Greensboro with a viper who use to cruise it....

He was like 52 and hit on all the 17 year old girls with his big car.
October 15th, 2009, 2:09 pm
Liv

Return to Greensboro