·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Lost Civilization Of Winston-Salem : Pull-A-Part

by shannon | Published on August 27th, 2009, 10:17 am | Greensboro
pull-a-part-winston.jpg

I discovered treasure in my archeological excavations! I was wandering the large field of ancient history, rummaging through lives of the past. I encountered dangerous natives and ferocious creatures. It was hot and the humidity almost unbearable, but my discoveries made it all worth while. As a scientist I am intrigued by the lives time has almost forgotten. In this grand place of mystery what are the stories these relics hold?
As Liv was fighting the battle of the "mission for brakes" at the pull-your-part in Winston- Salem, I was on a scavenger hunt of my own. Despite my best efforts, Liv was operating alone in this vast field of forgotten dreams. I set out on a search which uncovered the "secret lives of the junkyard".
I meandered from car to car unlocking the secrets from within. It was fun! I discovered, as you may imagine, lots of trash. But I was surprised to find things of value. I found about ten cassette tapes. Three titles include: "Queen", "Flashdance", and the "Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits". I uncovered a Faith Hill cd and an "Ice Age" dvd. There were pens, pencils, toys, backpacks, stuffed animals, markers, food, drinks and lots of condiment packages. I did decide that if I become homeless, these yards are great for finding money. The natives of this land are all about ripping parts off the doors and engines. It was I who made the greatest discovery! Change! No one thinks of opening those tiny holders for coins, sun visors and peeking ever so carefully into the glove compartments. I could not believe the amount of sliver change I found: dollars worth.

pull_your_part_salvage.jpg

The trick is to find the cars which held families. Those were the biggest jackpots. Parents don't have time to clean out their cars with kids crying in the backseat while they're awaiting the tow truck on the side of the road.
The scary thing is that I also found a great deal of personal information in these vehicles which could very easily be stolen for identity theft (not joking). It was really interesting though to think about the lives of the people who once traveled in these cars. The stories that accompany the cars at the end of their road. It truly was like uncovering a lost civilization.
The natives were friendly, and using tools which many keep in boxes. I noticed many of the male natives were using foul language and making primitive grunting sounds whilst dislodging rusty parts. As for the wild creatures, I saw ants and yellow jackets. In sheer terror I walked right into the center of a large hairy spider disrupting his lunch. The spider climbed down from my head and as I freaked out realized my panicked screams were not alone. I looked into a car window and saw that in my reflection I had also picked up the spider's lunch. it was a hornet. Yes I had a live hornet in intertwined with web stuck in my hair. Overall not the encounter I had hoped for. But none the less, I learned a lot on my exploration and yes, it is I who will be rocking out, singing at the very top of my lungs to "She's a Maniac", driving around Greensboro.

My local pick-a-part has started charging an entry fee of $1 to discourage tourists. I never thought of trying to make it up with change from under the seats.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
August 27th, 2009, 10:32 am
A Person

Not to discourage the dig but have you tryed car-parts.com?
August 27th, 2009, 11:01 am
DeannaB

DeannaB wrote:Not to discourage the dig but have you tryed car-parts.com?

The problem with this is, I needed to find a set of brakes in fairly good condition, as I was hoping to not replace the "wear" items until later... There's a place online which would have mailed me the backing plate for this job but it would have cost a few hundred extra dollars in all the other parts....

This worked for me, as I could choose from the cars, get the best donor, and get exactly all the parts many of which are assembled as a unit....

...I should state for the record this isn't a typical "brake" replacement issue... there's a bit of an upgrade going on here.... which I hopefully at some point will be able to do a write up online here....

@AP... Yeah they charge a $1 here... so did the one in Santa Paula in CA... I find that's typical... and I don't mind.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
August 27th, 2009, 11:38 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

shannon wrote:I could not believe the amount of sliver change I found: dollars worth.

Someone hit my cousins truck a few years back. He actually had the tow truck actually stop by his house on the way to the juck yard so that he could clean all the change out of his truck. I'm pretty sure he said that there was over $40 worth of change in there.
August 27th, 2009, 2:33 pm
Pineview Style

Finally got the new eccentric bushings today to fit the old control arms. Ordered two other pairs and none-fit. Apparently they don't make the stock rear bushing for replacement.

I'm still baffled by how the eccentric bushings are going to stay positioning by the lateral torque in the inner bushing....

Now I've got to order the darn springs.... darn cars.
September 29th, 2009, 7:17 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Greensboro