·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Tanglewood Festival of Lights

by Liv | Published on December 2nd, 2009, 10:03 pm | Greensboro
tanglewood_festival_of_lights.jpg
tanglewood_festival_of_lights.jpg (43.23 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

So last night we went to the Tanglewood Festival of Lights. It's an annual pilgrimage for me dating back to the mid-90s. It was always a blast to roll out there in the convertibles with the top down, the heat blowing. It's a 3 mile long light display you actually drive-thru and always impresses. Even better yet, we swung by TJ's for a #60 sicilian on the way. While my older more responsible self no longer enjoys the smoke-tacular aspect of Tanglewood's festival of lights, it was truly a joy to watch my 5 year old scream out in excitement when she saw the extravagant light display.

tanglewood_festival_of_lights_2.jpg
tanglewood_festival_of_lights_2.jpg (42.35 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

The best part of the Festival of Lights is the 3/4 point stop at the fire pit. They ask for $4.00 for a Smore kit, and put a sign up, guilting you not to bring your own due to the cost of operating the lights. (What's their power-bill?) It was to late for Shan who had meticulously planned out her clothing attire to hold a bag of marshmallows, a block of graham crackers, several Hershey's bars and several coat hangers. Luckily no one commented, and we quickly constructed smores for our family, while remembering back in years past. Like the one when we brought Smiler who just recently arrived from the U.K. and was introduced to a American Smore for the first time around that very fire ring at the Festival of Lights.

tanglewood_festival_of_lights_3.jpg
tanglewood_festival_of_lights_3.jpg (46.22 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

Truthfully it never gets old. Still my favorite is the golfer, a football field long light display that interactively moves the ball from the swinging golfer across the green.

Last January, my wife and I went to Gatlinburg and found that they do a similar festival of lights pretty much all through the winter months. While no one is there by Christian groups and skiers. There, the light displays are scattered all along the main roads, up into the craftsman area, and on into Pigeon Forge. There's no fee to see these decorations. I never found out if they're placed and maintained by the chamber of commerce, the county or city government or some local volunteer group.

But they are really cool to see.
December 3rd, 2009, 7:09 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
I just think Tanglewood Festival of Lights is one of the few treasures we have here locally and at only $10.00 a car it's really a small price to pay. My only caveat is that it's not closer to Greensboro. I know we have our own festival by the same name, but Greensboro could so easily do something like thing in Battleground Park.

I must admit I'd find it slightly humorous and if they'd slip a lone festivus pole in a long the route.
December 3rd, 2009, 7:27 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Smoke-tacular! You gave me a reason to go!
December 4th, 2009, 6:42 pm
Kenetoken

Kenetoken wrote:Smoke-tacular! You gave me a reason to go!

Yes we went several times a year back in High School... it's perfect, no cops, trippy lights, and munchies at the 3/4 mark...
December 4th, 2009, 7:29 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Greensboro