·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Is Racism still alive in Greensboro?

by Liv | Published on September 20th, 2006, 10:23 am | Greensboro
You know alot of scary stuff is turning up about Greensboro's police department in blogs these days. Is it true? Probably some of it. Take for instance Ill Will who ask is Racism Still alive for the GPD?

I don't write many blogs but I gotta vent for a minute and some time writing is the best way I can do that when I don't have a blunt and I'm chilling on the blazing for a minute so I guess ill be doing alot of writing. Alot of people don't think that racism is still alive or an issue and if hurricane Katrina wasn't proof enough I got a story for dat ass. Well I moved out here to Greensboro not to long ago. I'm not out here hustling, I'm not out here (expletive), I'm out here to finish my education and there are some connects out here as far as bball is concerned. Anyway I'm its a sunny afternoon and I'm driving back from a workout session with my trainer....I got the windows down sunroof open and the rims shinning. I look in the rear view and i see an unmarked car...this dickhead follows me for about 5 minutes and then finally turns the lights on. So I'm going about 20 mph with my blinkers on pulling over when another unmarked car comes out the cut and skids in front of me almost hitting my (expletive).....this asshole hops out the car with his gun out talking bout let me see ur hands....i ain't gonna front i was scared as hell but i was mad at the same time so i admit i started running off at the mouth....I asked him why am i being pulled over and his reply was "you didn't have your seat-belt on"..now i'm gonna ask y'all the same thing I asked him.....is it procedure for you to pull your gun out on someone for not having his/her seat-belt on? or is it because I'm a young black man driving a nice car?....this trigger happy pig then tries to tell me that they thought i was trying to get away.....now if I'm going 20 mph wit my blinkers on pulling over what part of that hints that someone is about to try to get away......so they put me in cuffs and they proceeded to search my (expletive) and they search it thoroughly......anyway to make a long story short they didn't find anything and they wrote me a ticket for a seat-belt but it should have been DWB.....So I'm asking for y'all comments on this situation...honestly am I over reacting? Is this evidence that racism is still alive? or was this trigger happy officer just doing his job? keep in mind that the job description of a police man is to protect an serve not to embarrass and harass.....holla at ya boy

I think it might be hard to call this racism. I think the police may be profiling young kids though and for the most part with good reason. What was done here was totally overboard and inappropriate by the police and they only issued you a seatbelt violation to cover their own butts. BTW... I thought that the police could not pull you over for a seatbelt violation but could ticket you for a seatbelt violation if you were pulled over for something else. Am I incorrect in that thinking?

Here are my thoughts. If you reference this thread http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?t=1340 and replace those kids with black kids was it then racism? Hardly. But most people would think it was. Its simply power-hungry police officers OR officers that have had too many close calls. Which is it?

BTW... the first line about smoking a blunt kinda takes away any credibility this guy may have had.[/url]
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
September 20th, 2006, 11:11 am
BecauseHeLives

the first line about smoking a blunt kinda takes away any credibility this guy may have had

I agree, but then again look at Clinton. It's easy to assume because he's black, a bad speller, and uses ebonics and drugs he's not as crediable as say... a white guy with perfect typing skills and smokes cigarettes, but wouldn't we then again be judging the guy on factors of sterotypes (which yes, are usually true) that could be false?
September 20th, 2006, 12:22 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:
the first line about smoking a blunt kinda takes away any credibility this guy may have had

I agree, but then again look at Clinton. It's easy to assume because he's black, a bad speller, and uses ebonics and drugs he's not as crediable as say... a white guy with perfect typing skills and smokes cigarettes, but wouldn't we then again be judging the guy on factors of sterotypes (which yes, are usually true) that could be false?

Yep. Good point as well. I will say that when I read it that I understood what he was trying to express quite easily so I don't have a problem with his "typing" skills as long as his communication skills are good (which they are).

BTW... Clinton was a horrible role model. He wasn't that great of a president either.
September 20th, 2006, 12:27 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:BTW... I thought that the police could not pull you over for a seatbelt violation but could ticket you for a seatbelt violation if you were pulled over for something else. Am I incorrect in that thinking?

I'm 99% sure you are correct; you can't be pulled over just for not wearing a seatbelt, but you can get a ticket as part of another infraction.

If this guy is smart, he'll go to court and fight the ticket, since he has proof no other ticket or warning was given. At least he'll bring this situation to a judge's attention.
September 20th, 2006, 7:51 pm
rumface

Return to Greensboro