·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

"The Press" wine cafe in Greensboro (quasi review)

by Sanjuro | Published on April 30th, 2007, 8:55 am | Greensboro
A friend of mine and I slipped down to the wine cafe "The Press" on Friday night.

I had been looking for a wine bar that serviced downtown, and had heard about this place but could never seem to find it. Thanks to pictures posted by someone here, I was able to locate it on Friday and give it a try.

The wine selection is decent but a bit smaller than what I had expected. I think I got spoiled in Chapel Hill's wine bar. That said, they seemed to be opting for quality over quantity. I described what I was looking for (in regards to taste) to the person behind the bar and he was able to pick the perfect wine to fulfill my needs.

The staff was friendly and fun. Very down to earth and real. Now, this is important. The last thing you want are snobbish people mixed with wine. LOL. Believe me, wine has enough stigma as it is. I got the impression that someone who knew nothing about wine could easily walk into the place and feel right at home.

They have live jazz and acoustic on Thursday and Saturday nights, and the place gets pretty packed out (from what I was told). On the sleepy Friday we were there (11pm) it wasn't busy and was quite layed back. There was a steady stream of people coming in and I got the impression that this place attracted all kinds. A necessity for a true bar experience. ;)

I didn't care for the "easy listening" jazz they were piping in (or playing on CD) to create ambient mood. I really think a place like this needs Satchmo or John Dee Holeman. More developed Jazz like that in a wine bar is what's needed. Kenny G puts people to sleep. Someone, please tell the owners this. The atmosphere is everything.

Anywho, well worth being checked out if you get the chance. They are open every day but Sun and Mon (why not on Monday-the day I could use a drink the most-I'll never know).

http://www.thepresswinecafe.com

Thanks for looking!

you saw my photos btw :) I also went to the Press. It was during lunch time so while I was in there for some wine I got a little sandwich. Its a very nice relaxing place and I also noticed how the staff behind the counter was down to earth, fun and basically converesed with the customers. I actually like the soft contemporary jazz music though. It gives the place a big city vibe. I give it a thumbs up.
April 30th, 2007, 9:58 am
Knightrider

A lovely place where want-to-be wine snobs cast judgments on the basis of the price.
April 30th, 2007, 10:22 am
Matt

Matt wrote:A lovely place where want-to-be wine snobs cast judgments on the basis of the price.

Really? I certainly didn't get that impression at all. What makes you say that?
April 30th, 2007, 10:48 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

I didnt get that impression either. It was a very down to earth experience for me. I expected it to be snobby and an uncomfortable place to be but I was totally shocked
April 30th, 2007, 3:46 pm
Knightrider

Knightrider wrote:you saw my photos btw :) I also went to the Press. It was during lunch time so while I was in there for some wine I got a little sandwich. Its a very nice relaxing place and I also noticed how the staff behind the counter was down to earth, fun and basically converesed with the customers. I actually like the soft contemporary jazz music though. It gives the place a big city vibe. I give it a thumbs up.

Thanks for posting that by the way. If it wasn't for the pic I wouldn't have known what I was looking at. I was going to re-post it in this article but didn't have your permission to do so.

As for the music, at least mix it up a bit. Contemporary is fine for day perhaps, but it could use more energy at night. I disagree about the easy listening stuff giving 'big city vibe' as I just got back from a wine bar in a large city playing Miles Davis :P LOL

Thanks for the heads up man! Maybe we will run into each other sometime!
May 1st, 2007, 12:34 am
Sanjuro

you are so welcome. Im just glad downtown finally has something like the Press. Its just another great addition for downtown Greensboro. :o
May 1st, 2007, 9:41 am
Knightrider

Knightrider wrote:you are so welcome. Im just glad downtown finally has something like the Press. Its just another great addition for downtown Greensboro. :o

Completely agree. Now to persuade them to expand to the top portion of the building (ie balcony) and increase the selection a bit. 8)

BTW, I just realized my new avatar kind of matches your name. LOL I wonder if that was a subconcious thing...
May 1st, 2007, 11:56 am
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:
Knightrider wrote:you are so welcome. Im just glad downtown finally has something like the Press. Its just another great addition for downtown Greensboro. :o

Completely agree. Now to persuade them to expand to the top portion of the building (ie balcony) and increase the selection a bit. 8)

BTW, I just realized my new avatar kind of matches your name. LOL I wonder if that was a subconcious thing...

agreed. the second level is still up for lease and maybe they could even have a stage of some sort up stairs for a number of different acts including comedy.

BTW nice avatar :lol:
May 1st, 2007, 3:55 pm
Knightrider

Been there a few times and the wife goes quite a bit with friends. The food is pretty decent there as well with a pretty good selection for a small place.
May 1st, 2007, 4:51 pm
rumface

rumface wrote:Been there a few times and the wife goes quite a bit with friends. The food is pretty decent there as well with a pretty good selection for a small place.

What are your downtown haunts, Rumface?
May 1st, 2007, 4:57 pm
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:What are your downtown haunts, Rumface?

I mix it up and go somewhere different most of the time. Fav's are Solaris, Green Burro, Metro Gourmet (the BEST sandwiches downtown, if not in the Triad) to just hang out. Stumbles and Greene Street are good if a decent band is playing. The rooftop deck on Greene Street is pretty cool and positioned correctly, you can watch the fireworks at the Hoppers game when they have them. Sometimes go to Much; one of the few places that can make a Mojito.

For food, besides the above, I like Liberty Oak, M'Coul's and L'Italiano (great pizza) and Minj (best wings in town). Of course, Cheesecakes by Alex for dessert and/or coffee.

Oh, Metro is great this time of year to sit outside and have a couple of beers and people watch. They only sell beer and wine, and like Mike's Hard Lemonade kind of drinks. At $1.75 domestic and $2.75 imports (pretty good selection; all bottled), it's the cheapest beer on Elm. Plus, they are "dog friendly", so we can bring our dog with us when we sit outside. Natty's is the only other "dog friendly" place downtown.
May 1st, 2007, 5:21 pm
rumface

I tend to like the Green Burro for their beer and munchies, and have been wanting to try Greene St. I checked out a place called The Rhino club (or something) recently but wasn't impressed.

Natty's is ok but lacks a certain personality. However if I had a dog, that would change everything I guess. :lol:

I need to check out more of these. Speaking of which, enough typing... I'm going out!
May 1st, 2007, 5:47 pm
Sanjuro

Whoooo! Just got back from "10 dollar Tuesdays" at "The Press".

NICE! The wine was really good, a LOT better than I expected for 10 freakin bucks a bottle!!

The live accoustic was ok. and the Cuban I had was great. It could have used more single ladies in the joint though.. oh wait, thats just my personal preference.

PLEASE change that piped in music. WAAAAAAAAH.
May 1st, 2007, 10:20 pm
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:The live accoustic was ok. and the Cuban I had was great.

Oh yeah, that Cuban sandwich IS great!!
May 2nd, 2007, 8:12 am
rumface

rumface wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:The live accoustic was ok. and the Cuban I had was great.

Oh yeah, that Cuban sandwich IS great!!

I had the Cuban sandwich as well when I last went there.
May 2nd, 2007, 10:07 am
Knightrider

Then it's settled, we must have them change the name of the Cuban to "The Greensboring"
May 2nd, 2007, 10:09 am
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:Then it's settled, we must have them change the name of the Cuban to "The Greensboring"

That would be too funny!! Actually, Metro Gourmet on Elm names their sandwiches after various neighborhoods, such as the Latham Park (one of my favs), Irving Park, Sunset Hills, etc. I can ask if when they update the menu, if they can add a sandwich called the "Greensboring". We just need to let them know what should be on it.
May 2nd, 2007, 10:40 am
rumface

It would have to be a mix of sweet and sour. Salt and pepper, a bit of the ying and yang.

Also, there would have to be an angry blond lady making it. :D
May 2nd, 2007, 10:42 am
Sanjuro

Co-worker Carl Wilson had passed along news The Press Wine Cafe in Greensboro is closing.

But a new owner may step in.

Don't let the name fool you because that place had one of the best beer selections in town. And on Fridays, everything was half-off.
VIA Mike Fuchs
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
November 9th, 2008, 10:04 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

There was news last week that the Press was closing today.....thank goodness the restaurant has a buyer and will not be closing now. I live in Southside and I must say it really is the focal point for entertainment and good times here in the Southside neighborhood.
November 9th, 2008, 11:07 am
Knightrider

Return to Greensboro