·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Payne Road - The Truth Behind The Haunting

by Liv | Published on April 19th, 2009, 5:06 pm | Greensboro
I think since I now have the time, I should consider making a run up there and taking some photo evidence.... Anyone know the exact co-ordinates I'm looking for?

Nfidel wrote:
Serendipitous wrote:
Now, now.... why are you taking that tone with the nice folks with active imaginations? :naughty:

I don't know why I do it. Next thing you know, these people will tell us God talks to them!

What? She doesn't talk to you??? :shock: :mrgreen:

Nfidel wrote:
Serendipitous wrote:Payne/Edwards Rd actually sounds like a trek for "after everything closes on First Friday." :shock:
:think: It could be interesting... though I don't expect to see/experience anything.

We could do that, but there isn't much to see there at night. At least in the daytime one can see a couple abandoned houses which look a little spooky. I think the road lost its charm when it was paved and the "haunted" bridge was replaced. It's pretty country though. Where Payne and Edwards Roads now intersect is a three way intersection that used to be completely wooded. That was about the only thing about the road that creeped me out. When do you ever see an intersection in the middle of the forest?

Oh, you're talking like you see with your eyes! :hand:
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
April 19th, 2009, 5:55 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

A Person wrote:
Nfidel wrote:When do you ever see an intersection in the middle of the forest?
Every day
forest.jpg

My house is just NE of this intersection

Ah, but you live in Canada. Here in North Carolina, if at least one corner at an intersection isn't occupied, someone will put up a church or chicken house. Further east I think they substitute hog farms for the chickens.
April 19th, 2009, 6:41 pm
Nfidel

I was looking through my old files and found a photo of an actual house on Payne (now named Edwards) Road. Maybe you'll see a ghost.
Attachments
DSC_0364.jpg
April 19th, 2009, 9:14 pm
Nfidel

Nfidel wrote:I was looking through my old files and found a photo of an actual house on Payne (now named Edwards) Road. Maybe you'll see a ghost.

Thats awesome....you must have sort of read my mind.. I was wondering if you had a pic of the overgrown intersection.. I love abandoned stuff!!
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
April 19th, 2009, 11:05 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

So is this the bridge?
April 26th, 2009, 12:35 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:So is this the bridge?

No, I don't think so. IIRC, the bridge had wooden side rails. Besides, the road in your pic is named Bolejack. AFAIK, Bolejack Road has always been Bolejack Road. Click to "Road" view, zoom out and you will see both Edwards and Payne Roads. What is now Edwards Road used to be Payne Road. The bridge and associated ghosts were in this area. As for the Edward's house, I don't even know if it existed. It seems the only people giving us info about the house believe in things that don't exist, so maybe the house didn't either.

Edited to add: I think Edwards (the old Payne) Road no longer has a bridge.
April 26th, 2009, 1:02 pm
Nfidel

Oh well, I was going to drive out there tomorrow... but it's not worth it if there's nothing there....
April 26th, 2009, 1:07 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:Oh well, I was going to drive out there tomorrow... but it's not worth it if there's nothing there....

Or...if you want something spooky cool in Forsyth County, why not visit the graveyard and crypts at Old Salem? I think it's only a few blocks from I-40 and it's free. I don't know the operating hours there, but they should be easy enough to find.
DSC_3859.jpg
DSC_3866.jpg
DSC_3879.jpg
DSC_3885.jpg
April 26th, 2009, 4:09 pm
Nfidel

You can't actually go in the crypts can you?

I'm now leaning toward heading to Charlotte... I don't know... or staying home and working on the book.... North Carolina is boring me at the moment... (oddly enough.)
April 26th, 2009, 4:25 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:You can't actually go in the crypts can you?

No, you can go right up to them but not in them. You can see in a couple of them though.

I'm now leaning toward heading to Charlotte... I don't know... or staying home and working on the book.... North Carolina is boring me at the moment... (oddly enough.)

There is a lot in Charlotte I'd like to see, too.
April 26th, 2009, 4:53 pm
Nfidel

Nfidel wrote:There is a lot in Charlotte I'd like to see, too.

Less I'd like to see, and more I'd like to eat... which in fact may be a reason to vote for staying home and jogging.
April 26th, 2009, 5:43 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:Less I'd like to see, and more I'd like to eat...

Are we still talking about crypts?
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
April 26th, 2009, 7:53 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:
Liv wrote:Less I'd like to see, and more I'd like to eat...

Are we still talking about crypts?

:scared-ghostface:
April 26th, 2009, 7:57 pm
Nfidel

So you are saing tht you knew the women who owns payne's diary and if so is there any way that we could see it and read it. Me and and my frineds go out there all the time. We take pictures and walk around trying to find something. We have seen some things but nothing really convincing. For some reason i am convinced tht there is something out there. And i would really like to find out just what is there. I would like to kno more about these dark arts that were practiced there.
May 4th, 2009, 10:06 pm
augie

I swear this thread is haunting.... okay... I'm back on...

Someone post coordinates for this freaking place so I can GPS it....
May 5th, 2009, 7:25 am
Liv

Not positive, but this might be it...

36.27151, -80.28173

Just east of rt 66 between Rural Hall and Poplar Springs
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.

Dick Werthimer
May 5th, 2009, 9:07 am
eddiebuckle

According to Google maps, that's here:

PayneRd.jpg

I see nothing unusual there...
May 5th, 2009, 11:04 am
A Person

I just wanted to say -- I GOT IN THE 100th POST for this thread!

Woot! 8)
May 5th, 2009, 1:36 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
I am always interested in what different people say about their "experiences" on Payne Road.

Let me clarify a few issues by giving everyone just a few basic facts. Yes, I said "facts."

Payne Road & Edwards Road are 2 different roads. Payne runs in between Friendship Rd. & Hwy 66 completely in Stokes County. The road used to be partially gravel but is now paved. Edwards Rd runs from the railroad tracks in the middle of Rural Hall and dead ends into Payne Rd. It begins in Forsyth County. It used to be paved only in the Forsyth County part but is now completely paved.

The "haunted house" was located on Edwards Rd about 1\4 mile from Payne Rd. The Edwards family has owned the house-property since it was originally built. The last time the house was occupied was in 1988-1989 when a friend of mine named Keith lived there mainly for property upkeep & to keep people from continuing to destroy the house. Keith accidentally shot & killed his girlfriend on the property and while awaiting trial, he killed himself. The girlfriend is the only fatality to have ever happened on the property.

The land still remains in the Edwards family to this day.

I have lived on Edwards Road since 1986, just around the curve from where the house & bridge used to be located. We were the only house there for a few years but now there are several homes built.

We continue to see kids & thrillseekers travel down the road from time to time & still occasionally have issues with property damage & trespassing. Please be courteous & respectful the next time you choose to go "ghost hunting" in our neighborhood.
May 23rd, 2009, 2:32 pm
nccountrybumpkin

i live right near payne rd and i've been there about a billion and half times and nothing has ever happened to me.

we've turned off the car on the bridge and stopped the car and all kinds of junk.
and i've gone in the middle of the day, at 10pm and at like 3 in the morning.
well basically any time of day.

and i've walked around the cemetary on edwards rd in the dark more than once.
and nothing ever happens.

so don't waste your time/gas.

xx
July 19th, 2009, 1:34 am
sydney

Hi. I grew up on Payne Road. When I was born my family lived there. We raised tobacco and had other crops growing in the fields. Trust me Payne Road is haunted. I have seen many things happen there. Some of them I don't want to remember. Some of them I will never forget. We have found dead bodies behind our barns. I have seen and heard things that wasn't really there. We had a dog once that me and my dad seen something float into it. The dog acted very strange after that almost like it had a demon in it. The house where we stayed while my grandparents lived had many strange things happening in and around it. I also knew Keith Hartgrove. My brothers and sisters went to school with him.
April 1st, 2010, 9:00 pm
HAC

Crystal,
I am sorry to tell you and with all my respects to you, ...well here it comes..Girl! you CAN'T write! you have such a bad english it took the charm of the story. It was torture reading you...sorry please don't take it personally..i am sure you have other qualities of course!
La Joconde
April 1st, 2010, 11:47 pm
[email protected]

Payne Road the legend that will not die. :lol:

I think a lot of it has simply been teenaged angst, fueled by tribal sensationalism.

I've heard all of the stories, including the ones in the OP and possibly from the same "Dee."

I'm still skeptical, but open to proof as on "Ghost-Hunters."
April 5th, 2010, 11:40 pm
sLiPpY

sLiPpY wrote:Payne Road the legend that will not die. :lol:

I think a lot of it has simply been teenaged angst, fueled by tribal sensationalism.

And not to self promote here, but the area is a bit 'boring' for teens, and exploring urban legends gives them an outlet when the only other option is nothing at all.
April 9th, 2010, 4:27 am
Liv

Return to Greensboro