·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Greensboro Shuts Down Tomorrow for Immigrants

by Liv | Published on April 30th, 2006, 12:05 pm | Greensboro

I'm sitting here reading the estimated impact of tomorrow's "Great American Boycott" on the internet. Blogger's have concluded that it will be nothing shy of a whisper, such as last years petroleum boycott, and others suggest major shut downs in government and in commerce.

I think many of us were dumbfounded by the sheer numbers of demonstrators in previous immigrant rights rallies. The question is this, has that fear & emotion that originally came with hearing of the federal government's attempt to pass legislation to criminalize aliens, grown or diminished?

We shall only know tomorrow, when supporters and immigrants take to the streets of America, not showing up for work & school. I for one will be one of the gringa's who will not be attending work tomorrow to show support for our neighbors.

We can only hope for those of you who do continue your normal routine, that you will be kindly reminded throughout the day, how important your Mexican amigos are. Hopefully most businesses will fail to run, your lunch won't be made, and maids won't come to your hotel room. That is the hope. Will it happen. Maybe not, but we won't know until we try will we?

Today we attended the the immigrant rally & protest in downtown Greensboro. By all accounts I would have to imagine it was a complete success. Thousands of immigrants, students, & supporters descended upon the government complex. It was a full crowd to say the least. We arrived about 3 PM and stayed to about 5 PM when there was practically no more space to accompany anyone else, but yet, people kept coming.

For those who don't know, the protest was against a law that's been proposed called HR 4437, which would basically make it a federal offense for immigrants who are currently living in America. This is not a good thing.

This was a much bigger rally then the last one I went to back during the first gulf war to Support the war. (yes, I supported the first war, but then again I was 12 and didn't have a choice)

Before the speeches commenced which were in both Spanish and English, reporters from every local news organization sent their whitest reporter to go get the story. Blonde, white reporters were combing the field of Hispanics for someone to interview by saying "Do you speak English?" We kindly shyed away knowing that my rubio hair, and obvious gringo-ness may be a tale-tell sign of "English speaker." and I didn't want to be a spokesperson for the movement.

Right when things started to get rolling, my daughter Serenity started to get tired, and we decided the kids had suffered enough education into the American spirit. We ran into Ed Cone and his dog Luna (that is how you spell it right?) and the kids got to pet her.

When we left and headed home, the one thing that stuck in my mind, was an image that I encountered while there. I never got it on film, but it was one of those moments you turn and go: "this is the way it was meant to be." The image was of kids. We were all standing there waiting for the rally to begin and my son Chance had ran off in the grass and was playing with the other kids. There was a black kid, a Hispanic kid, a Indian kid, and Chance who is a whitey with about 25% Mexican in him. All playing, having fun, not realizing that they where doing what we as adults couldn't do: Accept one another for our differences. This is what we rallied for.

Video & Pics Here....

BroadBand 14 Megs or Dial Up 4 Megs
May 1st, 2006, 7:30 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv, you can see my response on the forum.

I'll add that it seems, from the picture you posted, that the SWP attempted to hijack the entire thing, which somewhat agrees with my post in the forum.
May 1st, 2006, 10:51 pm
JQPublic

Were There Snipers at Yesterdays Rally? Maybe not Snipers, but roof top positioned, firearm ready police officers? Is this normal procedure? Was it really necessary? It certainly was intimidating.
May 2nd, 2006, 5:56 pm
Liv

Isn't that the front entrance of The Depot? :?
May 2nd, 2006, 6:07 pm
JQPublic

Court House... old one.
May 2nd, 2006, 6:29 pm
Liv

If they were snipers, they were probably there to prevent the immigrants from being hurt. That's my belief and I'm sticking to it : )

Hey, maybe that's what I need over at my condo...hmmmm
May 2nd, 2006, 9:24 pm
Sebeq

Matt wrote:It's a rooftop bakery. Those weren't guns, but mixing spoons.

That is the most hilarious thing I've heard all day! (It's only 8AM but still!)
May 3rd, 2006, 6:57 am
Liv

Return to Greensboro