·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Haunted HayRide

by Liv | Published on September 28th, 2007, 9:57 am | Greensboro
haunted_hay_ride.jpg
haunted_hay_ride.jpg (111.17 KiB) Viewed 3231 times

Yes, only in North Carolina.... but still pretty cool. We do tend to do Halloween better than most places I've lived. Kind of ironic, don't ya think?

Cool!

My kids are still too freaked to enjoy the haunted houses around here which are very good. We've been looking for one of these type events.
September 28th, 2007, 10:47 am
Matt

Here's another one. No hayride though. It's a bit further west than the one in Walkertown.
The Hacker House
September 28th, 2007, 6:35 pm
Nfidel

That looks fun. I used to go to all of them, back before the semi-clones were spawned.
September 28th, 2007, 6:41 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

this is a good one in High Point (Archdale)
http://www.spookywoods.com/
October 1st, 2007, 1:03 pm
bradswork

Anyone remember the chophouse down in Jamestown circa 1995-97?
October 1st, 2007, 2:07 pm
Liv

Report:

We went last night. We choose this venue because Spooky Woods or Wood Of Terror were too intense for the group of kids we had ages 9-12. None of which are super brave.

First off the drive. You take mostly Hwy 66 and while it was too hard to get there, Mapquest didn't seem to exactly agree with the directions. Mainly the distance of how far you take a certain road. But that wasn't a big deal. If you wanted easier, take 40 to 158 and then 158 north. Will add a few minutes to your drive but much easier ride home, especially at 1am (keeping reading)

The wait. We got there at 9:30 which was a big mistake. We waited almost 3 hours. We were told Friday nights get you through the line quicker. We were some of the last people to show up and get in a long line. However, the price was pretty good and if we decided to bail out of line and come back another time, full ticket refund, no questions asked. That was very cool.

Entertainment while in line. The kids we had met some other new friends and the Grim Reaper and Skull dude they had roaming the grounds were entertaining and kept the kids spooked or laughing. So the adults took turns holding the place in line.

Sponsors. This event is run by a biker gang. OK well, Honda Gold Wing riders. http://www.winstonwings.org/ Very nice group of older fellows. Do lots of charity events and raise money. The head organizers came through the lines to greet everyone and make sure all were having a good time. That was a nice touch. All profits get donated to the group of choice. depending the biggest current need. I can't remember what they said last years was. This year was the food bank.

Eats: Food they had was basic but was pretty darn good. Chili dogs, chips, sodas, home made chicken stew. Prices weren't too bad. $5 got you 2 dogs and a drink. Friendly folks taking your money and serving you food.

The ride consists of a tractor pulling a large wagon that holds about 40 maximum. The hay bails are set up in levels to fit everyone in. They pull you through the woods and field and you stop at different scenes. There were a couple you were like: Huh?. Others were tongue-in-cheek. One was a very good Micheal Jackson Thriller video reenactment. They had a Saw scene that was pretty intense complete with working chain saw. That one was pretty good and had everyone jumping.

What's nice about the hay ride is you don't have to rely on people moving if the scene is too intense for them. One child didn't like it and just buried her head and waiting for it to be over.

Summary: This event is pretty good and great for the price. I suspect the scenes and attractions will get better in the coming years. We'll go back to find out.
October 21st, 2007, 9:23 am
Matt

Oh cool. We're trying to get to the OZ thing at the Castle... this next week.. Don't know If I can work it out, but I'm hoping.
October 21st, 2007, 9:28 am
Liv

Please don't patronize the haunted hayride in Walkertown off 158 near McDonald's. The ride is dangerous, and the scenes something you'd expect your sick tweens to put together from nothing in your backyard. I couldn't believe all the little kids they took on this thing because it was very inappropriate for kids under 12. Very dark, crowded ride. But at least we did get a laugh form the horrible imitation of MJ's Thriller dance. It was soooooooooo bad. I wonder how much they paid in royalties to show the video in a public place?
October 30th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Don't waste your time: haunted hayride

I keep seeing signs for Homicide Hollow everytime I go out:

About me:
The Homicide Hollow is a brand new haunted forest located at 1249 Wiley-Lewis Rd. in Greensboro, NC. We are a high intensity haunt, gauranteed to scare. The forest is secluded, very dark and extremely thick and full of overgrowth. This attraction has been designed by the best to give you the best scare of your life. Your nightmares will come true as you slowly trek the winding, pitch black, narrow trails. The homicidal maniacs lurking in the dark thurst for blood. The creatures they have cross bred and trained will hunt you down like beasts in the night. You will be lucky to make it out alive. Good luck.
Who I'd like to meet:
DATES OPEN: October 9-10, 16-17, 22-24, 29-31 From dark til the last victim remains...

http://www.myspace.com/homicidehollow
October 31st, 2009, 8:49 am
Liv

Return to Greensboro