·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Greensboro Parks are disappointing.

by Liv | Published on May 23rd, 2006, 4:22 pm | Greensboro

Went over to Country park today and relaxed in the beautiful Sunshine. We've been several times since we moved back to North Carolina a few years ago, and I still miss the pedal boats. Why did they get rid of the pedal boats?

If you look in the far right of this photo, there is one odd bird in all the geese and duck. Is that a pelican? How did one pelican end up here, he's the only one we saw.

Check out fatty here, he came right up to me. Why are people going hungry in Greensboro, when they could come to the park and take home a nice meaty dinner?
Still missing the paddle boats... :(
Before we went over to county park, we went to the movies and saw "Over the Hedge", which was pretty good. Interesting machine in the bathroom there though. Instead of just having tampons, it also had gummy-bears, glow-in the dark toys, and something else all in the same machine. Weird?
You know, I always remember the pond being deeper then it was today. It's more of like a huge puddle now.

Also shot some video on the wrong setting, but it didn't come out so hot.

[youtubeembed]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vyo2r4Q1hxg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vyo2r4Q1hxg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtubeembed]

Okay. Before you pigeon hole me into a rant, let me just point out the fact I've been deeply jaded since they did away with the paddle boats at Country Park. But really, and honestly, all city-pride aside, our parks leave alot out. And while center city park is a honorable and breathtaking conversation piece, it is, for a better lack of a definition, nothing but concrete and some sprinklers.

Parks are one of the key factors in making a city great. Look at Central Park in New York City, or Griffith Park in Los Angeles. I've made this comparison before. I've given up on my rants until the day we landed in Ventura and went to the park. This park is clearly a model I think Greensboro should adopt. Unlike Center City park which has people quietly sitting, or pondering like Socrates and Jesus in a mental stare down... This park, was vibrant, and alive. People playing Frisbee, playgrounds full of adults and children. A pirate ship iconic of the cities seaside heritage with a zip line is there for an exciting a unique hands on experience.

Perhaps it would be Greensboro's best interest to have something similar. Just think, you could watch downtown business men zip line from a huge toy cigarette box in center city? Okay, Nathaniel Greene? What if we just get a zip line? Maybe a volleyball court downtown? or maybe I'd just be happy to have my damn paddle boats back at Country Park?

May 29th, 2007, 7:14 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:Okay. Before you pigeon hole me into a rant, let me just point out the fact I've been deeply jaded since they did away with the paddle boats at Country Park.

I am pretty sure the paddle boats are back at Country Park. I was there a few weeks ago and saw people renting them.

While I agree for the most part with your comments (esp. about Center City Park), I was wondering where the Dog Park and Mountain Bike Trails are in your pics?

I'll reiterate that comparing these parks (and locations, ie, New York and LA) is comparing apples and oranges. I think for the community we live in, the parks are mostly acceptable.

Maybe if my child still in elementary school I would have a different opinion, but back then the parks were much more lame than now and they were still enjoyed. It seems in Greensboro, the parks are about the children (and pets), not the parents. Maybe that is the problem?
May 30th, 2007, 7:16 am
rumface

I'm sure I saw paddle boats at Country Park less than two weeks ago while riding my bike on the trails. As for Greensboro parks; I believe the way you like it will be based on what you like to do. I love mountain/trail biking and greensboro has FUN trails and lots of them. As well as greenways to connect some of them (Country Park to Barber Park for example). Barber Park and Country Park seem to be the more exciting areas as one has a pool and golf another has paddle boats and a dog park, as well as a freeride course for bikes. Baseball, basketball, tennis courts, beautiful greenways. Zip lines sound like fun, but if you want one, see if they'll fund one. I don't know why Center City Park is considered a park anyway. It is more of a really nice plaza. Did I miss a playground there> (I'm not being sarcastic, really, I'm asking, is there a playground?)

Let's not forget another city park that is surrounded by Pleasant Garden, Hagan-Stone Park, ok, well, there isn't a whole lot there to do (another pool, some historic buildings and several lakes and ponds). We also have a bunch of little open/public parks ALL over the city. Where big cities often have just one or two big parks that you'd have to make a planned day trip to get to and from. Personally I appreciate all of our parks, urban, and country-side, and we have a lot more green than concrete and sprinklers!
May 31st, 2007, 8:43 am
tekshogun

Check out City Lake PArk in Jamestown

http://www.high-point.net/pr/citylake.cfm

The Piedmont's finest family park since 1935, City Lake Park is located at 602 W. Main Street in Jamestown.(See Map PDF) The park features 2 playgrounds, a Merry-go-round, miniature train, excursion boat, miniature golf course, swimming pool, waterslide, gym, amphitheater, field stage, 10 picnic shelters, 1 gazebo, scattered tables, grills, 1 non-regulation ball field, concession/restroom/ticket booth building, Historical buildings (Quaker Friends Meeting House with cemetery, Richard Mendenhall Store), maintenance complex, Fish Hut and Camp Ann.

There are 10 picnic shelters located throughout the park ranging in capacity from 40 to over 500 people. The shelter fees vary according to shelter size and amount of time rented. There are free standing picnic tables and grills located in the main part of the park availabe on a first come basis.

For your family enjoyment, the park offers a miniature train ride, a merry go round ride (adults can ride both), and a 30 passenger excursion boat ride. The park also has an 18 hole miniature gold course for challenging fun time. Tickets are sold at the park concession stand.

The park offers 2 handicapped accessible playgounds. The main playground boasts one of the largest and longest play pieces in the state. A new smaller playground is located in the Camp Ann picnic area.

City Lake Park is a 340 acre lake used for drinking water and for recreation. Bank and boat fishing are allowed with proper permits and licenses. The park's marina rents fishing boats year round and seasonally rents its canoe and pedal boats. Private boats (certain restrictions apply) may launch at the marina ramp.

The park is home to one of the largest public swimming pools in the Southeast. There is a large shallow wading pool for small children located next to the main pool. The park also has two new exciting waterslides that were completed in 2004. The waterslides are part of the pool complex.

The gymnasium is available for rent year round. The gym is suitable for most types of large group events. Advance reservations must be made for its use.

The field stage is 20' X 50' and is used for special events and is available by special reservation only. The stage is equipped with power hookups adequate for most events.

The park has two conession/ticket stands. One is located in the main part of the park and the other at the pool complex. Drinks, snacks, packaged food, etc. are available at both locations.

The park and lake are open year round, weather permitting, except for the Christmas and New Years holidays. Enjoy the amusement rides from the last weekend in April through the second weekend in October. The pool opens Memorial Day weekend and remains open until the week before Guildford County Schools open.
May 31st, 2007, 9:16 am
Matt

Return to Greensboro