·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Jeep Wrangler Police Package

by Liv | Published on May 24th, 2006, 5:22 am | Greensboro

What's the point of a Cop package jeep in Greensboro's fleet of police vehicles? Is there a sandy beach somewhere that I'm not aware of that they need to carry their surfboards too?

Seriously, I'm trying to figure this one out. Oddly enough, I caught this GPD officer illegally parked at the Lotto office at Farmington drive. Okay I'm all for preferred parking for Greensboro Police, but I'm really trying to comprehend the reasoning behind buying a Jeep for a police car? Maybe I'm missing something here, but aren't they slow and poor handling, and slightly expensive? Or is this one of the GPD officer's personal vehicles, of which the owner is overly excited about working for the department?

I don't really know why they have them... funny post though. You seem quite baffled.

I see those jeeps around UNCG all the time though. Some of them have "Parking Patrol" or whatever on the side of them and I had to deal with a city parking ticket one time and two cops rode out to meet me in one of those jeeps.
May 24th, 2006, 2:10 pm
matthillnc

I doubt very highly its because of gas effieciency. If it was, they should be considering hybrid, or motorcycles. I have a feeling its a police department with a bloated surplus of vehicle funds, and an overly creative purchasing department.
May 25th, 2006, 7:02 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Sometimes, the cars are donated by local car dealerships. Up here in West Vancouver, which is the richest municipality in Canada, the West Van cops have Jeeps, Toyota Prius, Land Rovers, and Jaguars.
May 26th, 2006, 3:05 am
Haily B

Well... the jeep wrangler isn't a very performance oriented vehicle, nor a good gas mileage vehicle.

Specifications (2003) Description: in-line six, overhead valve (two per cylinder), flat-face followers, hydraulic lifters, cast iron block and head
Displacement: 3960 cc (242 cubic inches)
Bore and stroke 98.4 mm x 86.7 mm
Compression ratio 8.8:1
Red-line: 5,300 rpm

Maximum power, 2003, Wrangler:

USA - 190 hp (142kW)@4,600 rpm; 235 lb-ft (319 Nm) @ 3,200 rpm
Europe - 130 kW (177 hp) @ 4600 rpm; 296 N·m @ 3500 rpm
Fuel injection (final form): sequential multiple-port, electronic
In the Wrangler, 0-60 in 9.9 seconds (manual; 10.6 seconds, four-speed automatic); top speed 108 mph - the Wrangle weighed over two tons, so those aren't bad times.

USA (EPA) fuel economy (mpg)
City 15 14
Highway 18 18

Compare this to the Toyota Prius (the most popular hybrid) which gets 60/51 miles per gallon and does 0-60 in 9.8 seconds. Not to say the Toyota Prius would make all that great of a police vehicle, but the wrangler is neither a formidable 4x4, nor a overly good road vehicle, so I'm still scratching my head on what purpose it serves GPD.
May 26th, 2006, 7:02 am
Liv

This is old news, the city uses Jeeps because believe it or not, they can purchase them much cheaper than the three wheeled parking enforcement vehicles. There is only a couple of jeeps in service and they are mainly used by parking enforcement and bike patrol.
May 26th, 2006, 9:10 pm
prod

And to go buy lotto tickets!!!!

:D
May 26th, 2006, 10:16 pm
Liv

We may have one European round-about, but Greensboro's Police department has yet to include a Lamborghini Gallardo as apart of their police fleet. Makes you wonder exactly what goes through one's mind when you're speeding through Italy at insane speeds, only to be pulled over by this monster.... (mouth drops)
003.jpg
011.jpg
012.jpg
013.jpg
015.jpg
October 28th, 2008, 6:50 pm
Liv

ooooh, I saw this on another blog. Rock on.. lets convince that little Lambo place on Battleground to do the same. :twisted:
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
October 28th, 2008, 7:53 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Points for style, but not exactly the thriftiest option. Also not keen on having more hyper-aggressive types kissing my bumper on Wendover during rush hour, especially with blue lights running. Based on my regular use of that road, they seem to pull plenty of people with the cars they have as it is.

Re: City roundabout -- there are two in town, actually. The one near Carolina Theater provides a cool and novel downtown thrill for those who've never enjoyed the experience of driving in a circle to get somewhere before, but runs a distinct second in age of establishment and grandeur to the larger one in Lake Daniel/Westerwood neighborhood just north of UNCG (on the Benjamin Parkway side), which is graced at its center by a lofty and majestic old tree well known to area walkers, joggers and other traversers of the greenway path that runs right by it.
October 30th, 2008, 1:55 pm
curious_kaleidoscope

Never knew that... I suppose there could be several in neighborhoods around town I'm not aware of... I'm curious if a study has ever been done on the efficiency of a "roundabout" versus a "standard intersection" (when applicable)...
I really found them to be more efficient over in Europe not having to come to a complete stop... but it seems no one can figure out the one downtown.... and they always stop rather than yield before entering it...
October 31st, 2008, 7:12 am
Liv

I beg to differ the Jeep Wrangler is one of the best 4x4s ever made and one of the least expensive when considering the cost of Chevy, Ford or Hummer.
Liv wrote:Well... the jeep wrangler isn't a very performance oriented vehicle, nor a good gas mileage vehicle.

Specifications (2003) Description: in-line six, overhead valve (two per cylinder), flat-face followers, hydraulic lifters, cast iron block and head

In the Wrangler, 0-60 in 9.9 seconds (manual; 10.6 seconds, four-speed automatic); top speed 108 mph - the Wrangle weighed over two tons, so those aren't bad times.

City 15 14
Highway 18 18

Compare this to the Toyota Prius (the most popular hybrid) which gets 60/51 miles per gallon and does 0-60 in 9.8 seconds. Not to say the Toyota Prius would make all that great of a police vehicle, but the wrangler is neither a formidable 4x4, nor a overly good road vehicle, so I'm still scratching my head on what purpose it serves GPD.
December 30th, 2008, 3:43 am

Guest wrote:I beg to differ the Jeep Wrangler is one of the best 4x4s ever made and one of the least expensive when considering the cost of Chevy, Ford or Hummer.
Which undoubtedly comes in handy when pursuing errant parking offenders across the flower beds.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
December 30th, 2008, 12:07 pm
A Person

compared to most vehicles, a wrangler is more eco friendly. it take 1/4 the effort to build a wrangler, less energy, than it does to build a prius. if it comes time to dispose of a wrangler, you will never see it in a junk yard, or trashed in an alley. wranglers holds their value, more that a prius will ever do. it doesn't have LiPo/Nic batteries that needs to be recycled, which takes a few generations. if kept well and maintained, a jeep can last for a life time. speed is not everything, it is all in the torque. for a bucket on wheels, it could be one of the best economical vehicles ever.

Liv wrote:Well... the jeep wrangler isn't a very performance oriented vehicle, nor a good gas mileage vehicle.

City 15 14
Highway 18 18

February 6th, 2009, 7:21 pm
Ahiru

TOP SPEED THAT I HAVE OBTAINED IS 95MPH IN A 2000 WRANGLER SPORT 4.0. IT IS HIGLY MANUVERABLE ,,IV'E NEVER FLIPPED IT AND MOST OF ALL IT CAN JUMP CURBS AND GO OVER LOGS,,,LETS SEE A CROWN VIC DO THAT !
Liv wrote:Image

What's the point of a Cop package jeep in Greensboro's fleet of police vehicles? Is there a sandy beach somewhere that I'm not aware of that they need to carry their surfboards too?

Seriously, I'm trying to figure this one out. Oddly enough, I caught this GPD officer illegally parked at the Lotto office at Farmington drive. Okay I'm all for preferred parking for Greensboro Police, but I'm really trying to comprehend the reasoning behind buying a Jeep for a police car? Maybe I'm missing something here, but aren't they slow and poor handling, and slightly expensive? Or is this one of the GPD officer's personal vehicles, of which the owner is overly excited about working for the department?
July 28th, 2010, 11:31 am
[email protected]

Return to Greensboro