·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

A Last Ode to Carolina Circle Mall

by Liv | Published on October 6th, 2005, 6:48 pm | Greensboro

I drove by Carolina Circle mall. Let me correct my self, I drove by a huge pile of rubble that used to be Carolina circle mall. It was pretty damn impressive to say the least. I spent a good part of my first few years in North Carolina at this mall. Moving from Ohio, I had never seen a mall that had a ice skating rink inside it. Wait a second. Your telling me they tore down the mall with the ice skating rink, and left four seasons? WHAT? I know that's pretty stupid. But another one of those example of how Greensboro used to be cool, but now is just blah. They had a sign up, stating something or another was coming soon, but doesn't tell you what it is. It's odd because between all the rubble you can still see a fast food drive-thru speaker still standing even though the building isn't there and several other oddities.

Oddly enough McDonald's right there is still thriving and conquered my Big Mac attack even though the drive-thru speaker is set like on a stadium concert mode. I think everyone within 2 miles of McDonald heard my order. Well except for me. Being so loud, and so distorted, it sounded like a lot of gibberish but what the hey I got my burger. Not that I really had a choice- It's one of those drive-thru's that barricade you in and prevent your escape. Thankfully the person in front of me, was familiar with fast food etiquette and promptly had their cash prepared rather than seat diving for 10 minutes as I've witnessed in the past.

Now onto the fun part. Time to head to Virginia and get my Lotto ticket. The one that is going to make me rich. The one that I took half the day off, will ultimately suffer from lost wages in. The one that led me to my Carolina Circle adventure, and now onto Virginia. If I win, consider this my last post. If you need to get a hold of me, I'll be on vacation- Permanently

Listen up Greensboring. I have a demand. I think its pretty straight forward and will be met with optimism. Since we're building a WalMart at the old Carolina Circle mall. I decree it should have an Ice Skating Rink.

Think about it... people skating around to the happy Wal-Mart Muzak just like it was back in the eighties at the mall.

Why should we do this? Because; one, think of the headlines Greensboro will get nationwide. Two, Walmart has more than enough money to make it work. Third it would make Greensboro fun again, and shopping fun again. Ditch the kids at the rink and mom and dad can stroll the isles in romantic bliss?

Hell just put it in the frozen food section and forget the food cases.

Better yet lets make the whole damn floor of Walmart a big Ice rink. Sure every shopper will have to sign a disclaimer preventing lawsuits, but hey; it would be worth it to see Grandpa sliding on his bum trying to get to the prunes.

Come on Greensboro it's a no brainer, and just make sense.
November 21st, 2005, 8:21 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Wow, you just took me back to my childhood. That video walkthrough panned past a fountain that I remember vividly.

I had no idea where this was located (as I was so young when last I visited) until, upon moving to downtown and exploring the g-boro area again, I passed that very lifeless shell in your photos a few months back. Its a damn shame about this.

Man, it was so much cooler than that "4 seasons" atrocity. And to think they will be putting up a store in its place I will never set foot in. So sad.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
June 20th, 2006, 10:49 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

It wasn't too long ago I posted a very unique "ode to Carolina Circle Mall". I thought that was it, end of discussion. But some of us are still grieving over the loss over the Carolina Circle Mall. Take for instance RoadGeek's unique burial ceremony film iconizing what he claims is the "greatest mall" ever.

October 20th, 2006, 10:37 am
Liv

Not trying to accuse you of anything, but since you're not just linking but have the video playing on your site I was wondering what you felt your liability might be. Can you be more specific about your understanding? Thanks.
October 20th, 2006, 6:52 pm
Eleanor R.

Honestly I didn't think of it. Personally if it was me I probably would have chose to use public domain music, but I don't think anyone is going to get sued out of this. Frankly they're are more pressing issues for me and as far as risk, I think it's eventually a case of turning Greensboring into a LLC to separate the liability from myself.
October 20th, 2006, 7:37 pm
Liv

Liv does not have the CONTENT on this site. It is an object link that looks as if its on this site but it isn't. One line of code.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
October 20th, 2006, 10:36 pm
BecauseHeLives

This is Roadgeek, the guy who made the video. On response to the comments about the copyright infringement, there have been other videos on YouTube with music on there. But I wasn't sure if it was bad or not. I might redo the video with other or no music at all.
October 25th, 2006, 3:26 pm
Roadgeek

BecauseHeLives wrote:Liv does not have the CONTENT on this site. It is an object link that looks as if its on this site but it isn't. One line of code.

Leave the music there. Unless you are going to sell the video for money no record company is going to care.
October 25th, 2006, 3:30 pm
BecauseHeLives

Tonight my fiance and I were sharing memories of childhood and where our parents would shop. He's from Winston Salem. Most of the stores I could remember were inside of Carolina Circle Mall. My older sister ( by 10 years ) would take me there when she had to babysit me, plus a lot of her friends worked there. I remember visiting her friends at Picadilly Cafeteria and this weird little joint in the corner of the food court. I would bug her to buy me a ticket for the carousel and trot around with her looking for "cool" clothes at stores like Rave. Theres a picture of my older brother ( by 14 years ), my older sister and I sitting near the fountain from probably 1989, I was sporting some red courdaroy overalls and a large bright red bow on the top of my head. In 1991 I had a child identification photo and my fingerprints taken for free and put in a little white passport like fold at the mall. It's still around somewhere. I remember when the mall became ghostly and I didn't like going there anymore, to a child..a deserted mall gives you the creeping willies. I think the last time I went inside the mall was 1993. I can't remember anything past that time. My sister had a boyfriend around the time whos mother owned a hat store upstairs, I don't remember any other stores around it being open. In 1998 I took my drivers ed lessons in the parking lot at C.C.M, it was the perfect void to wrecklessly sling a car around in. I was wondering if anyone remembers the homeless man who was a permanent fixture outside of C.C.M and K-mart back from around '91 to '93. As a child I knew his name but forget now. I would use my allowance to buy him cheeseburger meals from McDonalds. I have a lot of memories from the mall and the area and quite frankly thinking about them makes me want to cry. I don't miss the mall like some do and if it were still open I probably wouldn't go there due to the areas demise, but it would be nice to have somewhere to at least visit just to remember a large part of my childhood. :cry:
March 25th, 2007, 5:44 am
Faith0710

Return to Greensboro