·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Greensboro Relocation Information

by raysfan | Published on May 19th, 2006, 4:19 pm | Greensboro
Greetings People of Greensboro,

My wife and I are looking to relocate this summer but don't know where. Perhaps you can help. We are looking for a nice community that we can be proud to live in. We currently live in Tampa and are kind of tired of the year round heat, lack of seasons...Just looking for a fresh change. I am interested in Greensboro because we have always thought North Carolina is a beautiful state. However, we have some concerns. We have shopped Raleigh, but there is no easy way to travel north to south, the downtown is surely lacking, not that we need New York City, but it seems completely dead. We would like to see a show or have dinner time to time downtown. Charlotte is beautiful, but seems to lack a personality. I understand that people move to these areas in mass rates, but than I'm from Florida and am used to it. When researching Raleigh and Charlotte, there seems to me some animosity between natives and transplants. We are looking for a place somewhat liberal and has potential. Though I am not a good ol boy, I'm looking for a place where people don't refer to northerners as Yankees and northerners don't refer to southerners as Good 'ol Boy or hick just because we come from the south. Confused yet? Just looking for a nice place that is laid back and feels like "home". I know there is no perfect place, but the less tension the better, whether it be between geographical lines or race.

If you have any info about schools that would be good too as we are both teachers.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

p.s

I am not a "Christian" as refered to in the south, but I am Catholic. Nothing against that, but here people tend to judge you by that. Would I be out of place? :?

Ummm... we have our good and our bad. We have Christians and atheists, catholics and baptists. We have good ole boys, and people with medical degrees, and nuclear physists... It's a mish-mosh of everything. Overall we get along pretty well, and it is pretty laid back. Definately a much better city then Charlotte or the Triangle (Raleigh / Durham) in my opinion. Housings affordable, and people genuinly care here. You will still run into bigotry, racism, and close mindedness... but no more than you would in most major metropolisis in the US. Depending on which part of the city you live in, you can control how much interaction you will have with people in this fringe ways of thinking. Religion however is a major thing here, and you'll find out as long as your a christian and going to some church, you'll be alright, otherwise.... people just look at you weird.

I've lived in Ohio, California, & Arizona... and by far, North Carolina is the best.

As far as schools, most of the safer better ran schools seem to be those in the Western and North Western areas of Guilford County.... but then again, I might be touting my own horn since I grew up there.
May 20th, 2006, 10:20 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I just moved back to Greensboro from Orlando. I wasn't expecting to have the 24 hour scene like Florida has, but da*n. After 8 p.m. this town shuts down. When I left there was this nice little club downtown called Babylon where you could party till the sun came up with happy happy people and DJ's from around the country. Now it seems to be converted into this knock off of L.A's famed Sky Bar. The name alone made me vomit in my mouth a little. I hate knock-offs. As I drove on down Elm I noticed how many hoity-toity businesses had popped up in this area. I say hoity-toity not in the sense of, we have an exclusive product or service so we can charge more, it was more like we are trying as hard as we can to separate ourselves from the slack jawed hicks we all descended from. It was laughable at best. I took a left on Friendly and prepared myself for more snobbery because I knew what was ahead and expected it from this part of town. As I dialed through the radio stations I almost broke my seek button trying to find a station that wasn't , a)playing a commercial b)playing some old wore out song you can download for free because no one wants the rights, c)airing some brown nosing DJ kissing the butts of every caller as if his ratings were so low he would lose his job if he disagreed with any of them. (I say his meaning hers too) or d)playing country. I'm sorry, I know country music is big with all the slower folks, but 1 station per market is too much. Fortunately I subscribed to XM before I moved so I switched on XM 81 to beat some life into my day. It was at that moment I wondered if I had really heard a station give the call sign of 98.7 Simon. Simon? WTF! I switched off Tiesto and dialed in. Sure enough, 98.7 Simon. What does that mean anyway? The topic was "Where can I find a public swimming pool?" It's called Google search public pool 274.. Whatever. Well after 5 minutes I finally got through. (I guess everyone in Greensboro knows of a public pool except these morons) I told the hosts, "Go down to Wal-Mart on Wendover, piss in the parking lot and swim in it. Is that public enough for you?". Needless to say they brushed the dust off the dump button and killed it before it could air. Simon says , you suck! I switched back to XM. Greensboro your radio doesn't have to be this pathetic. You can call the programming director and say hey, these people are a joke. You can call into these shows and bust on the DJ's for being (slang for a female cat)'s. Or is this where your warm fuzzy feeling comes from? No comedy, no drama, no life. Just news, then weather, then the same topic every other show is discussing, followed by "Songs you used to like, right here on 98.7 Simon". I'm glad it was a sunny day because Greensboro is very beautiful and green. I drove past the Bog Garden. It was so nice. I went over to UNCG area and saw the same old "rebelling from my parents" college scene you see around most universities. When I arrived at High Point Rd. I was amazed how even more trashy it had become. Didn't think that was possible. I was wrong. Distressed and saddened I returned to my new residence (It's not home yet) and decided to surf the web for things to do because I really wanted to go out and meet some people. Besides museums, parks and festivals I had no luck. Eight p.m. rolled around, I got dressed and went out looking for a good place to party. I drove around for 3 hours trying to find one place that was not packed with girls/women wearing mom jeans, or where every guy in the place thought "going out wear" was khaki shorts, a Tee with some clever saying and a ball cap to signal the joint had some class. I finally found it outside some random bar, but I didn't wanna party with my parents so I just went home. Greensboro you have let yourself go. You have become too comfortable with each other and stopped expecting anything other than mediocrity. You are accepting this ho-hum lifestyle and embracing boredom. Someone has to know someone who knows someone who has the means to change all this. I will do what I can but I think Greensboro is in serious need of a make-over. How about taking some of that public park money and put it into a place where people can get down, dress code strictly enforced? If any radio personalities read this, just stop. Please. Ask your station to spring for a good producer or at least a writer. I'm going to start selling XM. It's a gold mine in this town.
July 2nd, 2006, 1:20 am
Toe Bee

Amen to most of what you said, Toe Bee! But, you should have seen it two years ago. Talk about tumbleweeds rolling down Elm St.

As for the radio stations, we can thank Clear Channel for much of it. An Dickhead Broadcasting thinks that is a good model to follow, so they play the same crap. Fortunately, we can get 106.5 in CLT in most of the time; not that it's great, but better than anything in the Triad.

If you want to try some place different, check out Solaris where Bellemeade and Davie intersect. Different crowd there for sure and far from mainstream. Good food and good drinks.

Good luck!
July 5th, 2006, 6:33 pm
rumface

:(

Wow! Somebody needs to move back to Fla! Many of us like 98.7 Simon. It's fun and makes us happy.

You can be unhappy all you want...in Florida or here.

Thanks for the negative vibes!!!
In life, we are not measured by the time we spend on earth. What will you leave?
July 21st, 2006, 3:51 pm
scootie

My partner and I are considering a move to the Greensboro area. Can anyone recommend a good buyers agent who is honest and hardworking and knows the county areas surrounding Greensboro?

Thanks!

Susanne Carter
January 31st, 2007, 8:35 pm
cartere

cartere wrote:My partner and I are considering a move to the Greensboro area. Can anyone recommend a good buyers agent who is honest and hardworking and knows the county areas surrounding Greensboro?

Thanks!

Susanne Carter

Susanne,
I would love to help if you are still thinking of moving to the area. I will be glad to answer any questions you have.
Thanks!
michael
February 20th, 2007, 5:03 pm
yourhometriad

Hi Liv, I just accepted a job in Greensboro. I'm currently living in temp housing and have about a month to look for an apartment.

I consider you an expert in Greensboro, so if you were in your 20's, single, and was looking for a "special" one bedroom apartment (something out of the ordinary). And if money wasn't an issue at all, where would you stay? A pent house apartment downtown? A "luxury" (whatever that means) apartment near Friendly Center? Bare in mind the new job's by the airport, so there would be a commute everyday.

Thanks for the help.
--Paul.
November 28th, 2007, 2:34 pm
ppzhao

Near Friendly center is more like the "old money" part of town. At least that's been my experience.

They are building some really nice condos downtown. Not sure how hip they might be. But they are some really high-end ones.
November 28th, 2007, 2:45 pm
Matt

"And if money wasn't an issue at all, where would you stay? "

If money weren't an issue for me, I'd buy something rather than rent. That is, if I knew I would be in the area for a while.

Oh, and to stick with the topic, that double cheesesteak sure looks tasty! But it doesn't seem very consistant for Subway to vasilate between Peter Griffin and Jared Fogle with the advertising.
November 28th, 2007, 5:26 pm
Pineview Style

ppzhao wrote: A pent house apartment downtown?

ABSOLUTELY! :D
November 28th, 2007, 5:33 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Sorry for asking something totally not about the topic, it's just this is the best way I can think of to get many opinions from people who lives in Greensboro real fast, couldn't find any "Greensboro chatrooms" on the web.

And about "buying if money truly wasn't an issue"......there're many con's of buying, such as the hassle, the lack of flexibility, etc. But there's only one main pro of buying, which is it's a good financial decision. But if money truly wasn't an issue.........

Are there any penthouse apartments in downtown Gboro? If so, how long does it take to get to the airport area (I40 & 68) from there during rush hour traffic? Will parking be a problem? And if I decide not to go that route, are there anything else you'd recommend that's "just as nice"?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
--Paul.
November 28th, 2007, 5:37 pm
ppzhao

I'd say start a new topic in the local section. viewforum.php?f=19
You might get more folks to respond who don't want to read about Subway.

To get to the airport area like near AMEX, maybe 10-15 minutes at most without heavy traffic. Depends on which side of the airport because they just rerouted the main road to get there.
November 28th, 2007, 6:31 pm
Matt

Paul don't worry about the thread... we can split it off... We do it all the time. I'll make Matt do it when I give him back his mod privileges for Christmas.

Anyhow. Right now, money aside, Downtown seems to be the future, and Center Point is the "Luxury Condo" being hyped up. I really like it, and would be a great place to live.

Personally I'm still considering if my monetary situation changes maybe renting one of the "old" "old" historic downtown establishments with the upstairs as a house, and the downstairs as a business. I think it would be a great investment, with everything returning back downtown too.

If neither of those fancy you... as alot of people suggested, anything on Friendly ave past downtown is pretty much gold. The more west you go the pricier it gets, all the way till you hit Rodeo Drive AKA Friendly Center, and then it levels off in the 200-400,000 market for the majority of homes.

It really depends on what you're looking for honestly. According to Chris Daughtry, Oak Ridge is the "nuevo riche" area. I've been out in his neighborhood and for 6, or 700,000 they have some nice homes. His is on a private water area, and has a golf green, etc.

As much as I hate to say it, If you like nightlife you might be better off down 68 from the airport near the High Point/ Greensboro line. High Point tends to have a bit more wildness then we do, and it puts your closer to Winston.

Living near Guilford College or UNCG would allow a certain access to many young people. I used to live over on the campus of Guilford, and found it interesting. There's churches, restaurants, delivery, gas, drugs, parties, etc.

Most parties (at least back in my day) occur ed down at UNCG, not Guilford, although they do run naked through campus once a year, which was kind of freaky when I was 15.

Okay... I've rambled enough....

Based on what you've said, and money is not a problem...

The Center Point Skyscraper is your best option. It's spanking new, and a balcony view would be breathtaking. You'd be minutes from museums, baseball, and elm street, and have a park at your doorstep. I think they run just under 200Gs.

The commute wouldn't be bad. Just take Benjamin Pkwy, and you'll be out at the airport (once they're finished w/ construction) in about 12 minutes. Since most of the traffic will be going the other way, it might be quicker.
November 28th, 2007, 6:56 pm
Liv

If money is no problem then I've got a spare bedroom that I'll let you live in for a "special" price. Free taxi to church as well.

:wink:
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
November 28th, 2007, 9:26 pm
BecauseHeLives

I've got a 14x14 shed... Real nice... Window, full dead-bolt lock door. Just run electricity, and order a porta potty and your in business.
November 29th, 2007, 10:32 am
Liv

Hi Liv, thanks for the advice. I've called Center Pointe, and they're selling all their apartments as condos, and don't rent any at all. They also are under construction and won't be done till July.

Are there any in Gboro, on-par with Center Pointe, already built, and is for rent instead of for sale?

Thanks,
--Paul.
November 30th, 2007, 2:17 pm
ppzhao

ppzhao wrote:Hi Liv, thanks for the advice. I've called Center Pointe, and they're selling all their apartments as condos, and don't rent any at all. They also are under construction and won't be done till July.

Are there any in Gboro, on-par with Center Pointe, already built, and is for rent instead of for sale?

Thanks,
--Paul.

I'm fairly certain there is. I know the Downtown Greensboro official website has listings. Obviously I don't know any specifically right now, but it would be worth looking into.
November 30th, 2007, 2:21 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Well, I've only driven by them, but I love these:

City View at Southside
401 King St, Greensboro, NC 27406
http://cityviewatsouthside.com/

There website seems to be down, but they are really nice looking units.
20070123-160139-Cityview-6.jpg

Some info here: http://www.downtowngreensboro.org/cityl ... hp?id=1114

featuring sparkling pool, clubhouse, cardio center, cyber cafe, and resident business center. Starting at $699 to $1025 /mo.

They've got balconies too, and are feet from a wine bar.

They remind me of a modern re-encarnation of an old philly or bronx neighborhood...
November 30th, 2007, 10:34 pm
Liv

Hi Liv, really appreciate the suggestions.

I went to check out diff apartments over the weekend, and they all look pretty close to me, offering the same stuff, just at diff parts of town.

I've checked out the area on 68 at the Gboro/Highpoint line, didn't really see anything in that area, except a shopping center featuring Ham's restaurant, a Thai restaurant, and a movie theatre.

I've also checked out the area on Friendly Ave, east of Friendly shopping center, they're all houses, closest apartments are at the corner of Friendly Ave and Muirs Chapel, how's the area over there? Is it mostly ritsy-ish, or ghettoish over there? How far would it be for my daily commute to the airport area?

I've also checked out the City View at Southside like you suggested. It seems a little far from my work (airport area). That and on my way there (via I40), I went through MLK blvd and it seems kinda ghettoish (not hinting any correlations between street name with anything else), should I be concerned about it if I was to choose to live there?

I had a nice view of the tall buildings in downtown Gboro while I was at Southside, there wouldn't be any that're for residential leasing, would it? And what're the best ways to find "historic downtown establishments with the upstairs as a house" that's available? Are they for rent?

I really appreciate your (and everyone else's) help throughout all this.

Thanks,
--Paul.

Oh yeah, too all that gave great advice: Since I'm new in town, I'd love to buy everyone a drink for helping me out with this, once I'm all settled in next month.
December 3rd, 2007, 12:12 pm
ppzhao

Yeah, MLK is still in transition, but I'm betting in time it will turn around... But pretty much anywhere from downtown to friendly, etc... You'll end up taking murrow blvd, up to Benjamin PKWY... it used to take me atleast 12 minutes from downtown to the airport, but can take 20... nowadays it might be a bit slower.
Here's a google map of the very farside of downtown to PTI on the journey I suggested... indeed it's 12.1 miles and approx 20 minutes, and will vary depending on the heft of your foot.
December 3rd, 2007, 1:28 pm
Liv

Muir's Chapel and Friendly is a pretty good area. Be wary of anything close to Market St though. You might also want to check out New Garden Rd around Bryan Blvd (Bryan is a straight shot to the airport) or Friendly Ave around Stage Coach Trail that area is getting buit up and I wouldn't be surprised if there were some newer apartments around there (not being in the market to rent, I'm not certain if there are apartments there or if they're just townhouses/condos). You might also want to check out old Oak Ridge Rd near Fleming Rd.
Good luck!
December 10th, 2007, 9:53 pm
e rock

Hi Liv, thanks for the info on apartment finding a few weeks ago. I think I've found my 2 finalists. I was wondering if you knew anything about the 2 finalists I might not, or if one place has a good reason to stay away from, at here: http://www.paulzhao.com/2007/12/apartment-finding-part-2.html

Thanks,
--Paul.
December 28th, 2007, 9:10 am
ppzhao

ppzhao wrote: I was wondering if you knew anything about the 2 finalists I might not, or if one place has a good reason to stay away from

I used to know someone who lived in the oak ridge apartments you're looking at... I've been in them, but that was about 10ish years ago (If memory serves me right)... They were nice... but not outstanding.

The area should be real nice, and convenient, plenty of delivery and restaurants.... but you'll be driving somewhere to do most anything since there's nothing really to do over there, except my old church. I'm quite certain, based on the area... the crime rate, and minority level is much less than that of the downtown apartment.... which may or may not be advantageous based on your own heritage. Generally, from when I lived out there (only about 2 miles from this Apt) people are upscale, educated and above upper middle class families. I'm not sure if much has changed, but in an area like that I would imagine parties, and loud music, or non-conformist attitudes may cause some problems....

On the other hand, the downtown area is being re-vitalized, however your going to have a higher crime rate, and depending on how you feel about your own self protection, you might occasionally find instances where you'll question certain individuals. Although it's overall fairly safe, and hopefully improving. I have a feeling, living here, there'd be no shortage of activity, even if it's just a stroll through downtown, but then again... commutes get to be quite annoying after the first year or two... but of course you can always move again.

I guess for me, it would depend on whether I want a quiet safe neighborhood to burrow in my apartment after work, or if you'll be spending most of your time away from home after work, and want a fun, and unique apartment near the artsy fartsy crowd.... then downtown would be my bet....
December 28th, 2007, 9:53 am
Liv

My family & i (wife & two young daughters) are moving to Grenesboro next summer. Can anyone recommend good suburbs to live in? I bought new construction in Tampa but after the housing bubble burst my neighborhood started to go downhill (high foreclosure & renters)

I am looking for either new construction or an already established neighborhood to purchase a home.

Thanks,
Ken
July 17th, 2008, 5:38 am
kwaldo419

Return to Greensboro