·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Greensboro Pumpkin Patches

by Liv | Published on October 27th, 2005, 6:49 pm | Greensboro
So I took the kids over to the Pumpkin Patch at Guilford College United Methodist Church. This a direct result of the fact that the cool pumpkin patchisn't open on weekdays. So I begin having flash backs, to the days I spent unloading the pumpkin truck as a Youth at GCUMC. I figured Jesus is always home, they must be open, so what the hey lets go. So we pile out of the car and walk by the youth parent evidently bamboozled into working while the kids are at school. Then I look at the prices, It was at this point I looked up at the cross on the building and groaned "Why God?"

Of course my son wanted the 40.00 pumpkin, yes 40.00!!! He eventually ended up with a 15.00 pumpkin, which we later that day found we could have bought at Wal-Mart for 2.99. It was fun though and the kids liked picking it out. I tried to tell myself it was going to a good cause. I tried to remember how it made it possible for us when we were in youth to go on a beach retreat. Then I remembered I'm not religious. Okay I am a little. But 15.00??? I sure hope its worth it for these kids. At least they don't weigh the pumpkins anymore. That's how we used to do it. But so many of us figured if we set the base weight higher then 0, and then take the extra money to buy lunch, it made our commitment to God go so much more quicker. Thus I imagine that's why they have a pumpkin line up from small to big with prices little to high written on them. Your supposed to match the pumpkin you choose to the ones that are marked and pay that amount. However some how we chose the only triangle pumpkin in the patch. Some how I still don't see how it's valued at 15 freaking dollars. Well God... here's my donation for the year! Keep that in mind when we get the lotto here!

p_for_punketta.jpg

P: Good evening, Greensboring. Allow me first to apologize for this interruption. I do, like many of you, appreciate the comforts of the everyday routine, the security of the familiar, the tranquility of repetition. I enjoy them as much as any pumpkin. But in the spirit of commemoration - whereby those important events of the past, usually associated with someone's death or the end of some awful bloody struggle, are celebrated with a nice holiday - I thought we could mark this Halloween, a day that is sadly no longer remembered, by taking some time out of our daily lives to sit down and have a little chat.
There are, of course, those who do not want us to speak. I suspect even now orders are being shouted into telephones and men with guns will soon be on their way. Why? Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there?
Cruelty and injustice...intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance, coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those who are more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable. But again, truth be told...if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

I'm quite fond of our 2008 Pumpkin design...
October 28th, 2008, 6:11 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Greensboro