·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Dental Adventures in Greensboro... In search of a Dentist

by A Person | Published on February 4th, 2009, 5:10 pm | Greensboro
Make a video like this father did of his kid under the influence of legal dental drugs.

[youtubevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs[/youtubevideo]

You should see my kids on cold medicine.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
February 4th, 2009, 10:33 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv, I hope you have been able to get the care you need. I've worried about you. Yours is yet another horrible story of health care in America. I used to be totally against universal, government sponsored health care. Now, however, I despair of anything else working. And I'm not sure how well that will work. But Medicare is certainly working better than what was going on prior to Medicare--at least for the non-rich elderly.

I suppose that should they expand Medicare to all citizens, care will be worse for those who have good insurance now, but tons better for people like Liv whose insurance covers so little.

Liv, given that you have a serious infection--possibly into bone, I'm shocked that your regular health policy doesn't offer you any care or treatment. This could indeed be life threatening if untreated for a long period of time. This whole story of how badly you are treated by the health care system is disgusting, and an American shame.
February 8th, 2009, 3:10 pm
Questioner

Sanjuro wrote:Sorry, but Ive seen what an infection can do. That can kill. But I guess that would be a loose interpretation at best.

Morally (at least in my moral system), you SHOULD be right. The infection could move to the blood stream and then it will be immediately life threatening. Then the hospital will have to admit her and try to treat her. Unfortunately, sepsis carries about a 30% - 40% chance of death.

However, so long as the infection remains in her tooth root, it is not defined as an EMTALA situation. And to me that is so stupid. If we wait until it is life threatening, then they HAVE to treat it, and it will be thousands and thousands of dollars more expensive to treat. Not to mention the suffering she is enduring and the fact that she is a human being who should be provided necessary health care. And not to mention that she is a parent with kids who need her, and will be badly hurt if they lost her to a treatable condition. The whole thing is stupid, stupid, stupid. A truly American form of stupidity.
February 8th, 2009, 3:19 pm
Questioner

So I'm curious... What happens when I die from bacteria in the brain... Is it gruesome, painful? Will I bleed from the eyes?

I'm hoping it won't come to that. Right now, I'm being religious with the mouth washes. I've got a script of anti-biotics in prep if needed, and depending how long I might have to put this off- I'll order more from Mexico.
February 8th, 2009, 7:07 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:So I'm curious... What happens when I die from bacteria in the brain... Is it gruesome, painful? Will I bleed from the eyes?
Headache, vomiting, fever, confusion, seizures, coma, death.

Liv wrote:depending how long I might have to put this off
You don't put it off.
February 8th, 2009, 7:45 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:You don't put it off.

Believe me. I'm actively working on a solution.... One clinic I called last week cancelled on me to apply for their low-cost dental clinic. I'm going to get on the phone today...
February 9th, 2009, 7:42 am
Liv

Well they've offered my Vicodin & Amoxicillin.

You see this all started back a few months ago. I had enlarged glands and a very bad sore throat. My teeth were fine, no probs. Went into the doc and they started me on Vicodin & Amoxicillin. Everything was hunky dory for about 15 days and then it came back. This happened 3 times, before Grandma died, and we went to Ohio. That's when my face blew up and the tooth became a clear culprit of the infection. (at least in my mind)....

So I went into urgent care, then to the dentist... and now I've been referred to an oral surgeon who wants my first born. My HMO will only do something if the dental needs are accidental. So it's all a bit of a catch 22. We don't use credit cards, so it's not as though I can run out and put it on the card.

On another note, I do think Universal Health Care will be brought in through the back door by slowly increasing the limits of qualification on current socialized health-care coverage....
February 9th, 2009, 8:22 am
Liv

Liv wrote:Well they've offered my Vicodin & Amoxicillin.

You see this all started back a few months ago. I had enlarged glands and a very bad sore throat. My teeth were fine, no probs. Went into the doc and they started me on Vicodin & Amoxicillin. Everything was hunky dory for about 15 days and then it came back. This happened 3 times, before Grandma died, and we went to Ohio. That's when my face blew up and the tooth became a clear culprit of the infection. (at least in my mind)....

So I went into urgent care, then to the dentist... and now I've been referred to an oral surgeon who wants my first born. My HMO will only do something if the dental needs are accidental. So it's all a bit of a catch 22. We don't use credit cards, so it's not as though I can run out and put it on the card.

On another note, I do think Universal Health Care will be brought in through the back door by slowly increasing the limits of qualification on current socialized health-care coverage....

Have you tried the Dental School? When I was in my undergraduate program I didn't have much insurance either and used the dental school for my care. That was many, many years ago, and a crown and bridge they made for me has lasted beautifully all these years. They provided excellent care. Maybe that is a way for you to get help.
February 9th, 2009, 8:20 pm
Questioner

Liv wrote:So I'm curious... What happens when I die from bacteria in the brain... Is it gruesome, painful? Will I bleed from the eyes?

I'm hoping it won't come to that. Right now, I'm being religious with the mouth washes. I've got a script of anti-biotics in prep if needed, and depending how long I might have to put this off- I'll order more from Mexico.

The infection is not likely to go to the brain. It would get into the blood stream. Sepis is like having the flu in that you have a fever and feel very yuckie. But unless an abscess forms somewhere, it doesn't actually hurt. In the end stages, people tend to just go unconscious. I've seen a lot of people die of sepsis and a few die of brain abscesses. It is generally a very peaceful passing because of the loss of consciousness. And no, it is not gruesome or painful.
February 9th, 2009, 10:00 pm
Questioner

The application is in the mail today... (For UNCC's dental school program) They do a lotto system, and then are chosen based on need... but I figured what the hell.

I also applied for the MERCE clinic in Asheboro, but I may make actually too much money for the program... we shall see.

I'm also passionately trying to finish my taxes in order to get money in case none of these options don't pan out.
February 10th, 2009, 7:59 am
Liv

Oh darn... I am sick right now, but I think it's coincidental as Shan is sick too...

But just in case, anyone want to sing at my funeral?
February 10th, 2009, 8:09 am
Liv

Liv wrote:Oh darn... I am sick right now, but I think it's coincidental as Shan is sick too...

But just in case, anyone want to sing at my funeral?

Please describe all your symptoms. And Shan's too. Preferably in a private email.
February 10th, 2009, 7:44 pm
Questioner

Actually I'm feeling better tonight.... I'm pretty sure it was just a bug! :)
February 10th, 2009, 8:24 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:Actually I'm feeling better tonight.... I'm pretty sure it was just a bug! :)

That is good news. With the infection in your tooth, your immune system is already challenged. So you will be more susceptible to other "bugs". Good luck!
February 11th, 2009, 6:29 am
Questioner

Well I had consultation today... finally... I have my appointment on Thursday at a very nice clinic in Greensboro. The cost $1271....

Celebrated with perhaps my last Moe's burrito today I'll be enjoying for awhile.
March 2nd, 2009, 6:32 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:Well I had consultation today... finally... I have my appointment on Thursday at a very nice clinic in Greensboro. The cost $1271....

Celebrated with perhaps my last Moe's burrito today I'll be enjoying for awhile.

Good luck. I know you've been through the ringer with this. Every time I visit my dentist he reminds me that I have a wisdom tooth that needs to be surgically removed. He advises me that doing it now would be much better than when I'm 65. That's 15 years off and hopefully I can save the needed cash long before then. The tooth never bothers me but I'm told it will in the future. I can wait. I've had two removed and I'm in no hurry to part with the remaining pair.
March 2nd, 2009, 7:56 pm
Nfidel

Nfidel wrote:
Liv wrote:Well I had consultation today... finally... I have my appointment on Thursday at a very nice clinic in Greensboro. The cost $1271....

Good luck. I know you've been through the ringer with this. Every time I visit my dentist he reminds me that I have a wisdom tooth that needs to be surgically removed. He advises me that doing it now would be much better than when I'm 65. That's 15 years off and hopefully I can save the needed cash long before then. The tooth never bothers me but I'm told it will in the future. I can wait. I've had two removed and I'm in no hurry to part with the remaining pair.

So you think you have the right to take out wisdom teeth as you see fit? To knowingly remove a part of the body which I (in my perfection) designed so well, is an abomination.
*Dictated but not read ~God
March 3rd, 2009, 8:46 am
God
The Divine Word

Well according to the Doc.... mine is infecting my sinus cavity.. which explains the laryngitis that the ENT thought was acid reflux..... but really had no explanation... It's all kind of making sense now....

I don't want to open my mouth too soon :) but I'm confident in the competence of this doctor too... that's something I can't generally say about a large portion of medical people (or mechanics)... For me that's worth every dollar.... though I will gladly miss those dollars... those lovely, little dollars....
March 3rd, 2009, 10:02 am
Liv

Liv wrote: those lovely, little dollars....

1271 $1 bills would carpet a 142 square foot room.
March 3rd, 2009, 11:11 am
A Person

Liv wrote:Well according to the Doc.... mine is infecting my sinus cavity.. which explains the laryngitis that the ENT thought was acid reflux..... but really had no explanation... It's all kind of making sense now....

I don't want to open my mouth too soon :) but I'm confident in the competence of this doctor too... that's something I can't generally say about a large portion of medical people (or mechanics)... For me that's worth every dollar.... though I will gladly miss those dollars... those lovely, little dollars....

This is wonderful news. What is the dentist going to do? Will he remove teeth? Do root canals and save the tooth?

Not only can an infected tooth cause the sinus infection, untreated it could eventually cause serious heart problems. So, definitely worth every penny. Good luck!
March 3rd, 2009, 12:22 pm
Questioner

It includes transportation from the waiting room to the surgical theater, several large shots of lidocaine injected firmly in my gums, and whatever human advances in mechanical teeth removing tools in the doctor's arsenal to remove them....

We discussed a crown for one of the teeth, but stated it would be about $2000 for just the one tooth... and that's not the one actively causing the problems...
March 3rd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:whatever human advances in mechanical teeth removing tools in the doctor's arsenal to remove them....

March 3rd, 2009, 5:43 pm
A Person

We talked about that!!!... One of the deciding reasons I chose this clinic was the Doctor doing some of his medical schooling in Europe... we got talking about the NHS, and he mentioned how alot of Brits are pulling their teeth because of the lack of NHS dentists... He also told me med-school Brits were fascinated with American gun shot wounds in the ER since they don't have guns....
March 3rd, 2009, 8:32 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:alot of Brits are pulling their teeth because of the lack of NHS dentists...
It's not 'a lot' It's pretty rare and makes the news when it does. There is a shortage of dentists in some areas, but emergency treatment is always available.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7189448.stm

This chap is obviously a bit of a loony - and by the look of the teeth he pulled - he doesn't know what a toothbrush or floss looks like.
March 3rd, 2009, 8:53 pm
A Person

Return to Greensboro