·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

My Employer says I can't have cake because I'm a lesbian.

by Liv | Published on February 12th, 2009, 8:12 pm | Greensboro
I'm writing the following post knowing many of you will drop your mouth, cough and into your collar say "Shut up, Liv"- "Liv's gone loco".... "she's gone postal." I assure you I'm not. I however have to talk about this. Luckily I'm almost finished with dealing with the company and I have absolutely no monetary and vindictive reason to write it. All I wanted was what was fair. (God I sound like Billie Jean)

I had my legal name change around June of last year. You might remember that, right? After having the local court sign off on the paperwork. I left the court with a NC court order and provided it to my employer. Now some 6-7 months later I'm still receiving stuff in my old name. The latest was a set of stock purchases earned in the last quarter of 08. Well after the name change. They've basically sent them to a person who no longer exists. They want me to simply transfer them, but I've conferred with a few people that suggest not to transfer them because it will look like that non-existent person had obtained assets... and may be taxed. Furthermore, since I "technically" never received the stock, it's possible that this could be considered illegal garnishment of wages. My employer refuse to handle the situation; requires documentation, notarized, and sent insured through the mail... on stock which should have never been issued at all in this name and is going to cost me time and money to correct.

I suppose I shouldn't complain except this is the same company who has refused to correct my personal information on my HMO through the company. It's still wrong to this day. Apparently "Lesbians like us" don't exist in their database and according to my HR rep "It's administratively impossible"... At one point it became such an issue Shannon was denied a "female" exam because of her name being Shannon.... and my HMO assuming she was my husband. For some reason, they had her gender marked as male and denied the billing. After getting that fixed, things went down hill. I provided them a layman's cease and desist order, to which they never responded too, and a friend (cough) suggested to contact Lambda Legal. It's at this point I stepped back, and caught my breath. I needed to take some time to clear my mind. I wonder now if it was a mistake... but the economy was turning bad, and I needed to get through Christmas for the kids.

The final card was dealt with my latest medical issues. I'm have quite a difficulty with speaking as my glands are very swollen. Since my job is nothing but speaking, I asked if I could work in some other position and they said no, you'd have to take short-term disability. I did so. So I provided all the medical documentation, but for some reason Cigna (the third party vendor) continuously looses the paperwork, and refused to accept medical documentation from anyone other then my primary care physician. (Though I have a fax log that says otherwise) Then when she (my doctor) provides it, I was told that no doctor would use that kind of letter head (My doctor puts smiley faces on their notes) and that I must have forged it. Eventually I asked my doctor to put it on Cigna documentation... to which I was advised by the medical staff that Cigna has been basically harassing the office staff.

This is but a bit of what's been going on. So a few days ago, when I said I'm done... you can now understand why. This is a company that claims it's diverse yet whose HR representative has told me to my face "[you lesbians] just want your cake and eat it too" in reference to health care, and marriage.

Let me be the first to re-welcome you the US "healthcare" system and the REAL NC resident. America lost it's compassion somewhere. That will be the TRUE end of us all I think.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
February 13th, 2009, 8:46 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

It's an atrocity. It really is, but I don't believe all employers would handle these situations in the manner mine has. What gets me, is HR seems to be unable to rational intellectualize the situation. How is one supposed to transfer something, when the person it's issued too technically doesn't exist?

It comes down to incompetence in my book. You hire people whom can't tie their shoe laces, you shouldn't expect them to run a race. It's just unfortunate that I happen to have these people handling these matters.
February 13th, 2009, 8:58 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:It's an atrocity. It really is, but I don't believe all employers would handle these situations in the manner mine has. What gets me, is HR seems to be unable to rational intellectualize the situation. How is one supposed to transfer something, when the person it's issued too technically doesn't exist?

It comes down to incompetence in my book. You hire people whom can't tie their shoe laces, you shouldn't expect them to run a race. It's just unfortunate that I happen to have these people handling these matters.

Honestly I can say the same about our HR. They are a complete joke and Im pretty sure our company is a lot bigger than yours. Remember, all HR does is provide what they are legally obligated to provide, and make sure the employee gets documents and items they are legally entitles to by the letter of the law. However, their largest function is to act like a buffer between the company and lawsuits. They work for the company to the company's benefit. They could give two damns about the welfare of the employee and will never side with you. Notice how HR hardly ever sends email and usually ends up telling you things in person or on the phone.. there is a reason for that: Plausible deniability.
February 13th, 2009, 9:05 am
Sanjuro

When I use the interstate as I drive home from work every day, I see a banner that says Citi is hiring. I bet they'd be a better employer for a phone jockey... :twisted:
February 13th, 2009, 9:20 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
I'm familiar with citi, and have several ex-co-workers whom work for them... apparently they don't come highly recommended....

But that said, I'm done with call centers.

In fact, I'm not pursuing work at all for awhile...

I'm honestly considering auditioning for the Shakespeare Festival auditions this year.... I'm also weighing in a stage opportunity out in L.A. but I doubt I'll pursue that as I quite frankly don't think I could handle bunking with the in-laws for awhile.... and I'm finishing the book... but first I've got to take care of my medical situation.... which will hopefully be taken care of in the next few weeks... Nothing says "bring in the new year" like oral surgery, and being stabbed in the back by an employer of 5 years...

Oh well... could be worse...
February 13th, 2009, 9:59 am
Liv

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:When I use the interstate as I drive home from work every day, I see a banner that says Citi is hiring. I bet they'd be a better employer for a phone jockey... :twisted:

They laid off the people whose job it was to remove it.
February 13th, 2009, 3:15 pm
Sanjuro

I've done call centers since I was 15. There comes a time in a persons (not A. P.) life when one must just say "no more." In the past I couldn't do that... right now I can.... It's great news for Greensboring... as once I get things caught up I can pay more attention to this.
February 13th, 2009, 3:18 pm
Liv

Sanjuro wrote:
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:When I use the interstate as I drive home from work every day, I see a banner that says Citi is hiring. I bet they'd be a better employer for a phone jockey... :twisted:

They laid off the people whose job it was to remove it.

:lol: :dance: :clap:
February 13th, 2009, 3:21 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Liv wrote: There comes a time in a persons (not A. P.) life when one must just say "no more."
Oh I say that too. Sometimes even as early as the sixth time.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
February 13th, 2009, 4:31 pm
A Person

Checked the account this morning... Unemployment went through... It's been several months since losing my job. Since being told... "You can't come to work because you're sick, but if you don't come you're fired." I had a conversation with my ex-employer which indicated they'd fight me tooth and nail. I was told I was a liar, that [lesbians] like "us" (me & shan) aren't deserving of benefits. (by one HR Rep). I was ready to go the distance.... and fight this as long as I had too..... but vindication came without a battle. Apparently the state agreed with me. How could they not... I worked for the company for 4 years.... took the only Short Term Disability leave I've ever taken, was under doctor's note and was canned for it....

Well, today's my independence day. It's miller time.
April 3rd, 2009, 7:57 am
Liv

Congratulations Liv. That company sounds horrible. If there is one good thing about my company (and believe me, its not financial) its the very liberal stance on benefits for domestic partners. Too bad all aren't so inclined.
April 3rd, 2009, 8:01 am
Sanjuro

The company's stance was okay... one particular HR rep's interpretation of policy was another.
April 3rd, 2009, 8:21 am
Liv

Return to Greensboro