Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Yellowstone Super Volcano, when will it erupt?

All things awesome.

Postby crazy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:30 am

I'd go get a chair and some nevo and sit right on top of it and let it blew me in to outta space! C ya earthlings! :mrgreen:
crazy

Postby A Person » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:11 pm

Nevo?

You want an overpriced light fitting to go out in style?

Nevo hanging lamp from Arturo Alvarez. A vibrant shape that seems to be constantly changing. A pendant like a cloud of suggestive curves, of impossible volumes where the future intersects with the present in a subtle way. A self-confident shape made of cutting-edge materials. The shade is made of silicone in white, black, orange or blue. The metal is of stainless steel, the frame of tie rod. CE 220V. Real colours may differ slightly to the colours you see on your monitor
A Person

Postby larissa » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:27 am

I really dont think tis is true:liar: i think it will be in like in 2030 or more and im worried if t :liar: his wuold really :shock: happen
larissa

Postby ilikelifekk? » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:22 pm

live your life be happy, get on with it lol... :lol:
ilikelifekk?

Postby Liv » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:46 am

ilikelifekk? wrote:live your life be happy, get on with it lol... :lol:

If life's journey be endless where is its goal? The answer is, it is everywhere.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby TrampoliningAbbie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:56 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:
Liv wrote:Scientist have been measuring the recent rising of the north lake which has moved as much as meter in certain areas while moving into the near by surrounding woods. This along with multiple earthquakes indicate the impending events that are likely to take place soon.

When will it happen?

I saw a show about this on some channel a month or so back. They said that recent measurements of the crust beneath Yellowstone indicate that the magma chamber down there is maybe 10% liquid. Until it gets about 70%, there's no danger of an eruption.

So it's safe to ignore it and go back to worrying about global warming, nuclear winter and killer asteroids. :wink:

well you posted your comment in 2006 and were learning about this in our schools today sorry to say that scientist have said it is possible it will erupt shortly as the volcanoe is rising 7cm more than usuall and the magma like you said is at over 50%
is it a worry ?
it will wipe out the united states as it is directly underneath the sea livel and could cause possible nflooding and blocked sunlight for round 1-2 years
yes it is a worry as it will or might erupt within a year or 2 but its not such a worry to some states were they are far away only the ash can get to them which is a threat to breathing and will drop our tempuratures a little like kracatowar ( lake toba indonesia )
TrampoliningAbbie

Postby A Person » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Firstly

dont-panic.jpg

OK, now - despite what you may have been told in school there are few indications Yellowstone is on the verge of erupting. Thats's not to say it can't or won't, just that's there's no reason to suppose one is imminent

National Geographic has a recent article on it which talks about the recent bulge and its implications

But beginning in 2004, scientists saw the ground above the caldera rise upward at rates as high as 2.8 inches (7 centimeters) a year.

The rate slowed between 2007 and 2010 to a centimeter a year or less. Still, since the start of the swelling, ground levels over the volcano have been raised by as much as 10 inches (25 centimeters) in places.

"It's an extraordinary uplift, because it covers such a large area and the rates are so high," said the University of Utah's Bob Smith, a longtime expert in Yellowstone's volcanism.

Scary huh?

Fortunately, the surge doesn't seem to herald an imminent catastrophe, Smith said. "At the beginning we were concerned it could be leading up to an eruption," said Smith, who co-authored a paper on the surge published in the December 3, 2010, edition of Geophysical Research Letters.

"But once we saw [the magma] was at a depth of ten kilometers, we weren't so concerned. If it had been at depths of two or three kilometers [one or two miles], we'd have been a lot more concerned."
When the amount of magma flowing into the chamber increases, the reservoir swells like a lung and the surface above expands upward. Models suggest that during the recent uplift, the reservoir was filling with 0.02 cubic miles (0.1 cubic kilometer) of magma a year.

When the rate of increase slows, the theory goes, the magma likely moves off horizontally to solidify and cool, allowing the surface to settle back down.

Based on geologic evidence, Yellowstone has probably seen a continuous cycle of inflation and deflation over the past 15,000 years, and the cycle will likely continue, Smith said.

Surveys show, for example, that the caldera rose some 7 inches (18 centimeters) between 1976 and 1984 before dropping back about 5.5 inches (14 centimeters) over the next decade.

"These calderas tend to go up and down, up and down," he said. "But every once in a while they burp, creating hydrothermal explosions, earthquakes, or—ultimately—they can produce volcanic eruptions."

Personally I put that in the category of 'things that are potentially catastrophic, but have a low risk - and there's bugger all I can do about - so don't worry'

I try to reserve my worrying to things I know are likely, imminent and that I/we could do something about
A Person

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:19 pm

I believe that it will erupt in 2012 and that is the extinction of the human race and everything living on planet earth i also believe that once yellowstone blows that planet earth will become inhabbitable. we should worry, i mean were all gunna die so ofcourse we should worry.

Postby WYO Native » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:39 am

Mistake in the article. The caldera was noticed in 1870 by Gustavus Doane. Do your research idiots.
WYO Native

Postby A Person » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:35 pm

The caldera was first 'noticed' by a white man, John Colter a fur trapper, in 1807. The area was explored by the Folsom-Cook-Peterson expedition in 1869. The Washburn-Langford-Doane expedition wasn't until 1871. None of these expeditions mapped out the full extent of the caldera.

The full extent of the caldera wasn't mapped until geological surveys by Bob Christiansen in the 1960's and 70's. They were traditional ground geology surveys but were partly funded by NASA in order to verify the use of NASA space photographs for geological purposes.

However Liv's statement The current caldera, or giant crater was formed 640 thousand years ago, and is so enormous that it was only first seen with the advent of satellite photos from space. is largely correct. It may have been 'noticed' before, but it is indeed so enormous that it was only first seen (in its entirety) from space (although not from satellites).

I won't say "Do your research idiot" since that would be pointlessly rude.
A Person

Postby Liv » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:48 pm

Based on his screen-name, I assume, since he's no idiot, he's not buying into the whole "it's going to erupt soon" crowd.

Unless the "native" part means he's moved. Hmmmm...
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jason » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:55 am

I am one of the monitors of the NEO Project for NASA, we also get daily reports from the Yellowstone Geologist's and I can assure you all, this generation is perfectly safe... so don't go into wide spread panic just yet.

that's the problem, as common people like us would be the last ones to get informed. if yellowstone IS going to erupt, the government would lie through the media telling the public not to panic so the powerful and rich ones would get away first. that's why for now what we can do is to prepare ahead.
Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:02 am

by the way i wanna point out if yellowstone's eruption causes volcano winter for years and it leads to starvation, cannibalism will possibly become an epidemic worldwide. so survive or get eaten, it would be your choice.
Jason

Postby Liv » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:21 am

Now we're talking, cannibalism.

My mother-in-law will be thrilled.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:02 am

Cannibalism is a lousy survival strategy for anything longer than a couple of months.

How tasty is your mother in law? Mine looks tough and fatty.
A Person

Postby Liv » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:52 pm

I was under the impression, mine always was a cannibal (sort of metaphorically)....

If I'm going to eat my mother-in-law, it better be under a bad temper, and she better still be alive when I start munching out the eyeballs.

I hear eyeballs are a delicacy.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby christian181 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Wow ok yes the volcano will erupt eventually but that dosnt mean it has been around for millions of years how old do you think the earth is? Why is there not any reall hard evidence of history backing it up we can not really on predictions and what machines say machines are man made they know everything as the person who made them. If that person belived in such nonsense then he or she put it on there. If you are a christ beliver you heard about this coming in the future it says that promises to never flood the earth again but he introduces fire which could mean that not only the super volcano in yellowstone could erupt but every volcano in the world could all at once which also means there really isnt any safety unless god himself chooses someone to make somthing to protect those who belive in him and really want to be saved so take what you can get people evolution is not real big bang theory possibly what god used to make the world but you prove to me how evolution is real because it really is not sorry to bust a hole in all of yalls theorys but if it was real then why isnt there apes evolving into humans now because its a bunch of bull crap. Thank you may god bless you and have a good day.
christian181

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:11 pm

Ugh we should't worry if we are gonna die we are gonna die we can't prevent it so just enjoy our last year/years, hell it might not even erupt :whistle:

Postby A Person » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:49 pm

christian181 wrote:Wow ok, yes the volcano will erupt eventually, but that dosnt mean it has been around for millions of years; how old do you think the earth is? Why is there not any reall hard evidence of history backing it up? W e can not really on predictions and what machines say, machines are man made, they know everything as the person who made them. If that person belived in such nonsense then he or she put it on there. If you are a christ beliver you heard about this coming in the future, it says that promises to never flood the earth again but he introduces fire which could mean that, not only the super volcano in yellowstone could erupt, but every volcano in the world could all at once. Which also means there really isn't any safety unless god himself chooses someone to make somthing to protect those who belive in him and really want to be saved. So take what you can get people. Evolution is not real. Big bang theory is possibly what god used to make the world, but you prove to me how evolution is real, because it really is not. Sorry to bust a hole in all of Darwin's theoryies, but if it was real then why isnt there apes evolving into humans now? Because its a bunch of bull crap. Thank you. May God bless you and have a good day.

sorry to bust a hole in all of yalls theorys but if it was real then why isnt there apes evolving into humans now because its a bunch of bull crap

I think your post is clear evidence they are. Or at least that some humans are evolving into Homo nonerectus.

Maybe when you've learned some science, spelling, grammar and punctuation, you can have a go at writing an intelligible post.
A Person

Postby Liv » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:02 pm

pity_fool.jpg

A Person pities the fool, who blesses him... and gives them grammar lessons.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:05 pm

I have very little pity for him. I don't really object to his illiteracy, it's the breathtaking arrogance that accompanies it, that somehow his childish question: "why isnt there apes evolving into humans now ", "bust a hole in all of yalls theorys"

Yeah right, there's no possible answer to that, the last 150 years of science has been nullified by a 1st grader, or given the 'yall' a Texas A&M graduate - or have we been graced by Christine O'Donnell?

A Person

Postby Liv » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:44 pm

I'd wreck that chick too.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:46 am

I'd giver her something to think about ...
A Person

Postby christian181 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:47 pm

Sorry about the grammar but I have learned science most science teachers do not teach evolution it is an educational choice and with you saying that it is still evolving today then that is a bunch of bull to do you know what that really is it probably is a new kind of species being made from other animals mating with different kinds think about it its possible it has been done for a while so before you just assume you know that evolution is real show me the facts all of them give me proof because evolution dose not just quit all the sudden there would still be apes becoming humans today but there isn't its child birth form other humans we all came form god it was gods plan that got us here and if he wants us to die that is his plan not ours to decide and if you are all worried about dieing on earth form this then build a space ship blast yourself into space with your family and friends bring a lot of supplies and space suits with oxygen tanks its that simple we have the technology today to do it sure the united states has discontinued with the NASA program but if it is that important to you then bring your evidence of the volcano erupting to the government let them decide if we are allowed to build and escape plan for what could happen. 8)
christian181

Postby Liv » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:09 pm

You got to admit, it's been awhile since we've seen an ape give birth to a human.... :)

Think I might pay to see it actually.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

PreviousNext

Return to Geekery