·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

A Writer's First Tale

by Liv | Published on August 3rd, 2009, 4:54 pm | Life
DSCF7544.JPG

Yes, for the record it requires lots of coffee.

After Moe's Monday I picked up a first copy printing of the script I've been working on. (No I'm not going to tell you what it's about.) Mind you this is just the first episode so you can tell I've been busy. It amazes me how much I actually get done now that I'm not beating my forehead against four padded cubicle walls daily.

DSCF7546.JPG

It's been a learning experience. I knew nothing about screenwriting prior to starting other than the scripts I've used as an actor. Being on this side of things has been interesting. I honestly think I enjoy writing more than I do performance. Okay... I think I still enjoy both, but discovering the writer in me has been a unique, almost scary experience. Like anything though I had to learn the syntax, and get the tools to make it happen.

DSCF7547.JPG

It was sort of fun to unbox the thing today. We're doing some last few editing and continuity issues with the second episode I wrote, but hope to start submitting is with query letters next week...

DSCF7548.JPG

To be honest I couldn't care if I get a response. It's been fun, a challenge, and it's something I think I'll continue to do in the future. Writing, as I've learned even on this blog is a seriously personal thing... something that more people should do, so they can see themselves for who they are.

Only one time have I gone to the trouble to print out the entirety of a book I have written. I didn't think to take a picture of it before I sent it off to someone who requested it. I should have, though. It was the last time I ever saw it.

I hate the publishing industry.
August 4th, 2009, 6:08 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Well the book... (the cookbook) which I will hopefully get done in the next few months... It actually is done, but the cost of an ISBN and final proofing has had me put it off for a few months.... costs about $10.00 a copy... so it's not cheap....

...but a 60 page script on laser paper is only about $2, and is much more affordable. The only downside is Kinkos doesn't bind it to industry standard.... but I'm hoping to find a vendor that does....

The other thing I like about scripts is... you can alway revise them... meaning I can start submitting them, and if I get a bite, I can always "impove" it down the road... and for under $10.00 in postage and packaging and printing I can submit them.

This script is aimed at a very narrow niche too, so I should know if I have something, or if it will be a nice atic relic for the kids. On the other hand I can always republish it for alternative outlets (theatre) down the road if necessary. At this point I'm convinced this "could" be performed as a play as well.

More than anything it's an excercise in learning the process.
August 4th, 2009, 9:24 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Life