·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

IIHS Top Safety Picks 2010

by A Person | Published on November 18th, 2009, 11:51 am | Life
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has released its Top Safety Picks 2010:

LARGE CARS
Buick LaCrosse
Ford Taurus
Lincoln MKS
Volvo S80

MIDSIZE CARS
Audi A3
Chevrolet Malibu built after October 2009
Chrysler Sebring 4-door models with optional ESC
Dodge Avenger with optional ESC
Mercedes C class
Subaru Legacy
Subaru Outback
Volkswagen Jetta sedan
Volkswagen Passat sedan
Volvo C30

SMALL CARS
Honda Civic 4-door models (except Si) with optional ESC
Kia Soul
Nissan Cube
Subaru Impreza (except WRX)
Volkswagen Golf 4-door models

MIDSIZE SUVs
Dodge Journey
Subaru Tribeca
Volvo XC60
Volvo XC90

SMALL SUVs
Honda Element
Jeep Patriot with optional side torso airbags
Subaru Forester
Volkswagen Tiguan

One manufacturer seems to stand out with every one of their models represented in the list - except for the WRX, apparently the "Seat design parameters" fail but they don't say why. The g and force numbers look good for the seats. Oh well.

This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
November 18th, 2009, 3:51 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Street racing is pretty common in Houston. I was working very late one evening (about 11:30 at night) and when I pulled out onto a deserted road in an industrial park on the west side (a bit further north than Westheimer) all of a sudden two cars came out of nowhere at a ludicrous speed. Fortunately there was room for them to pass as I doubt I would have survived a rear ender at the speed they were doing.

It looks cool on 2 fast 2 furious, but in the real world (or even Houston) people die.
November 18th, 2009, 4:29 pm
A Person

The best thing about that clip was there was a white Lightning in it. :o
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
November 18th, 2009, 11:29 pm
BecauseHeLives

A Person wrote:It looks cool on 2 fast 2 furious, but in the real world (or even Houston) people die.

But you have no choice when you live your life a quarter mile at a time.
November 19th, 2009, 8:10 am
Liv

Let's see - Ford Lightning for dummys

OVERALL EVALUATION: P
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. The airbag deployed too late, and there was too much rearward and far too much upward steering wheel movement, which contributed to the dummy's head bottoming out the airbag and hitting the steering wheel. The driver seat was tilted so far forward that the dummy's head was confined to a narrow space between the steering wheel and head restraint during much of the crash.

Injury measures — Measures taken from the chest indicate low risk of injuries to this body region in a crash of this severity. Forces on the head and neck indicate that injuries to the neck would be likely and injuries to the head would be possible. Forces on both tibias indicate that injuries to the lower legs would be possible.

Left to right:
Ford150-crush.jpg
Dummy Damage

•Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
•Major collapse of the occupant compartment left little survival space for the driver.
•Both doors partially opened on the driver side. Arrow indicates where rear door was latched to roof rail before crash.
•Massive intrusion and pitching forward of the driver seat wedged the dummy into a tight space during the crash.

Think of it as evolution in action.
November 19th, 2009, 12:09 pm
A Person

What a good vehicle (Subaru Tribeca) looks like after the crash test

Subaru-smart.jpg
Good
November 19th, 2009, 12:17 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:Let's see - Ford Lightning for dummys

OVERALL EVALUATION: P
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. The airbag deployed too late, and there was too much rearward and far too much upward steering wheel movement, which contributed to the dummy's head bottoming out the airbag and hitting the steering wheel. The driver seat was tilted so far forward that the dummy's head was confined to a narrow space between the steering wheel and head restraint during much of the crash.

Injury measures — Measures taken from the chest indicate low risk of injuries to this body region in a crash of this severity. Forces on the head and neck indicate that injuries to the neck would be likely and injuries to the head would be possible. Forces on both tibias indicate that injuries to the lower legs would be possible.

Left to right:
Ford150-crush.jpg

•Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
•Major collapse of the occupant compartment left little survival space for the driver.
•Both doors partially opened on the driver side. Arrow indicates where rear door was latched to roof rail before crash.
•Massive intrusion and pitching forward of the driver seat wedged the dummy into a tight space during the crash.

Think of it as evolution in action.

For one thing, they don't make an extended cab Lightning. Another is that my Lightning will hold its value much better than any Subaru you'll ever buy. :)
November 19th, 2009, 12:51 pm
BecauseHeLives

If cost is the only thing that matters to you then you may be right, but somehow I doubt it.

Using Edmunds.com pricing
2000 Lightning $30,450 (new) - $7000 (now) - 77% depreciation
2000 Outback Ltd $26,095 (new) - $5,500 (now) - 78% depreciation

So the Lighting owner loses $23,450 and the Outback owner $20,595 so in absolute terms the Lighting loses out, but has a slight advantage in percentage terms,

But of course one year's gas for the Lightning eats up any depreciation difference. Over 9 years, gas alone will cost the Lightning owner another $5,000.

Obviously neither safety nor cost is a concern for the Lightning buyer. Presumably something else is.
November 19th, 2009, 1:40 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:If cost is the only thing that matters to you then you may be right, but somehow I doubt it.

Using Edmunds.com pricing
2000 Lightning $30,450 (new) - $7000 (now) - 77% depreciation
2000 Outback Ltd $26,095 (new) - $5,500 (now) - 78% depreciation

So the Lighting owner loses $23,450 and the Outback owner $20,595 so in absolute terms the Lighting loses out, but has a slight advantage in percentage terms,

But of course one year's gas for the Lightning eats up any depreciation difference. Over 9 years, gas alone will cost the Lightning owner another $5,000.

Obviously neither safety nor cost is a concern for the Lightning buyer. Presumably something else is.

I doubt most Lightning owners use them as daily drivers. The functionality of the truck and the power and looks of THE truck is what is inviting to the typical owner.

Perhaps the reason you purchased such a small car is representaive of other parts of your life.

In any case, a Lightning head on with a Subaru. Hmm... who will win that confrontation?
November 19th, 2009, 2:09 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Perhaps the reason you purchased such a small car is representaive of other parts of your life.

Indeed, seems a severe lack of need to over-compensate with a large vehicle.. hmmm..

BecauseHeLives wrote:In any case, a Lightning head on with a Subaru. Hmm... who will win that confrontation?

So you're saying you want to go head to head with Apeson?? :gay-rainbow:
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
November 19th, 2009, 2:26 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Sanjuro has made the obvious rejoiner. And yet BHL has a point, the vehicle you select does say a lot about your values.

A large, heavy pickup will indeed cause more damage to smaller cars in a collision and maybe even kill the occupants - I don't see that as a desirable thing, BHL does.

I see a medium sized fuel efficient vehicle with excellent safety standards, safe seating for five and good performance, to be a good compromise. BHL sees it as a target.

Being a good neighbour, considerate to other people, keeping my family safe and comfortable,caring for the environment and keeping my footprint small are all important values to me.

BHL's values? Big, heavy, powerful, freck you.

Oh and if you really want to go fast, cut the weight and get a vehicle that goes round corners.

November 19th, 2009, 3:19 pm
A Person

A large, heavy pickup will indeed cause more damage to smaller cars in a collision and maybe even kill the occupants - I don't see that as a desirable thing, BHL does.

No not really. However, maybe I'll make an exception if I know its you (or Sanjuro) in the other car. :twisted:

I see a medium sized fuel efficient vehicle with excellent safety standards, safe seating for five and good performance, to be a good compromise. BHL sees it as a target.

I don't want seating for 5. 2-3 is just fine for me. Performance with really good power is always desirable over those who perform to just get by. :roll:

Being a good neighbour, considerate to other people, keeping my family safe and comfortable,caring for the environment and keeping my footprint small are all important values to me.

Me too. I'll bet your gasoline bill for your Subaru or more than that for my Lightning.

BHL's values? Big, heavy, powerful, frak you.

AP's values? Ha. He's an atheist.
November 19th, 2009, 3:28 pm
BecauseHeLives

Too bad the lightning isn't AWD, it might actually be an interesting sport vehicle.... as it is, they're simply known as very expensive tire smoking machines.
November 19th, 2009, 3:31 pm
Liv

BecauseHeLives wrote: I'll bet your gasoline bill for your Subaru or more than that for my Lightning.

What does this mean?

Liv wrote:Too bad the lightning isn't AWD, it might actually be an interesting sport vehicle.... as it is, they're simply known as very expensive tire smoking machines.

Too true. There is more than one measure of 'performance'. A straight line burnout on a dry road is one. Getting to your destination first (or at all) is quite another

I'll bet I can get there before BHL when the roads are like this

snowyroad.jpg
November 19th, 2009, 4:04 pm
A Person

BecauseHeLives wrote: I'll bet your gasoline bill for your Subaru or more than that for my Lightning.

What does this mean?

It means that I'll bet my annual gasoline bill for my truck is less the annual gasoline bill for your subaru.

Liv wrote:Too bad the lightning isn't AWD, it might actually be an interesting sport vehicle.... as it is, they're simply known as very expensive tire smoking machines.

I know of a fella that converted his L to AWD and he also made it a convertible.

Too true. There is more than one measure of 'performance'. A straight line burnout on a dry road is one. Getting to your destination first (or at all) is quite another

Judging from your response I think my comment flew right over your head on that one.

I'll bet I can get there before BHL when the roads are like this

snowyroad.jpg

Silly rabbit! We only have poor roads down here due to weather a couple times a year at most. I simply work from home those days anyway. Why purchase a car that goes well in the snow for 2 days out of the year??
November 19th, 2009, 4:46 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:It means that I'll bet my annual gasoline bill for my truck is less the annual gasoline bill for your subaru

Oh, quite possibly, I wouldn't drive much either if I had to drive one of those.

BecauseHeLives wrote:I simply work from home those days anyway

Don't blame you.

Yup, I think we agree again, a Ford Lightning is the best vehicle not to drive.
November 19th, 2009, 4:53 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:It means that I'll bet my annual gasoline bill for my truck is less the annual gasoline bill for your subaru

Oh, quite possibly, I wouldn't drive much either if I had to drive one of those.

BecauseHeLives wrote:I simply work from home those days anyway

Don't blame you.

Yup, I think we agree again, a Ford Lightning is the best vehicle not to drive.

I sense a bit of jealousy.
November 19th, 2009, 10:49 pm
BecauseHeLives

Undoubtedly the same sense that you believe is God talking to you.
November 19th, 2009, 11:57 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:Undoubtedly the same sense that you believe is God talking to you.

Nah... I believe you're jealous. I also have better weather than you do. :lol:
November 20th, 2009, 12:17 am
BecauseHeLives

Snow IS good weather

PIC00013b.jpg
Perfect weather

Of course you may not have experienced actual seasons. Skiing in Greensboro looks like this:

November 20th, 2009, 1:07 am
A Person

I used to live 5 minutes from a ski resort and used to ski quite a bit. I prefer the nicer weather of the Carolinas though and when I want to go skiing it only takes a little less than 3 hours to get to a slope. How is the beach weather up there AP?
November 20th, 2009, 11:22 am
BecauseHeLives

In the season it's just fine. Off season then it's about 3 hours as well.
November 20th, 2009, 12:09 pm
A Person

Keith and Jennifer Lee were driving home on a remote mountain road, their prized Christmas tree strapped to the roof of their all-wheel-drive, when they rounded a back-country corner and found themselves suddenly mired in snow.

Out of cell phone range, and unaware a search was under way, the couple spent three days and two cold nights before Keith Lee finally freed the Subaru and drove home, the tree still tied on top.

"Suddenly the car just shot forward," he said. "Then we backed down the hill. I had my wife spot to make sure we went in some real deep ruts that looked like some truck had turned around a couple days earlier."

Smith called in a to-go order for breakfast from a nearby restaurant, and the Lees ate and showered before heading home, where they told their tale to reporters.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091203/ap_ ... nt_missing

Definately can't do that in a Ford Lightning.
December 4th, 2009, 11:32 am
Liv

What numbnuts.

They were better prepared this time, bringing two maps, a cell phone equipped with GPS, three blankets and 24 bottles of water. They purposely drove their all-wheel-drive, but didn't take chains.

Sensible people travel with a shovel, food*, water, rope etc. I have that in my car all the winter, along with extra clothes, hats & gloves.

Chains really aren't as useful as winter tires and you can make emergency 'chains' out of rope. Any vehicle can get stuck in deep snow no matter what they have on the wheels, the only solution is a shovel and hard work. Of course if you go into the ditch no amount of shovelling will get you out and you will need a winch or a Come-Along.

Jennifer Lee said she spent much of Tuesday and Wednesday praying while her husband worked to free the car.

Well, it's the least she could do. Literally

*I don't know how, but a mouse got into my car this fall. I realized this when I checked out the winter box and found my winter hat all chewed up and the chocolate and jerky chewed on. It's the first time I've ever set a moustrap inside a car.
December 4th, 2009, 12:27 pm
A Person

Return to Life