Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

I like hydraulic discs (on my bike)

All things awesome.

Postby A Person » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:10 pm

Went out mountain biking yesterday and nearly got caught in a major thunder & hailstorm that blew up quickly. We decided to evacuate down the fire road - an unmaintained gravel road that drops about 3,000 feet in 7 miles.

I clocked well over 30 mph coming downhill - but the brakes worked a treat, with good modulated power so that I felt in control at all times. None of the dabbing that I used to have to do with V brakes. I weigh a bit too. The rotors were hissing when the rain hit them

8)

Shimano BR-M486 Hydraulic Disc brakes - Recommended!

BR-M486.jpg
BR-M486.jpg (28.61 KiB) Viewed 4907 times
A Person

Postby Liv » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:29 pm

I did not know there's such a thing... is it a add-on or did it come with the bike?

I've been considering if I'm financially capable this year of upgrading my bike. Right now I've just got a $99 Wal-Mart Mountain Bike.... and I'm curious if I actually spend the money will I enjoy the experience more? Not that I don't now... it's just when I bought this one... I bought cheap because I wasn't to sure how much I'd be using it.

I've replaced the pedals and the brakes on this one already from riding in so much....

I just added my first water-bottle a few weeks ago... Lovin that...
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Depends on the type of riding you'll be doing. I bought a Scott Aspect 45 which is an entry level 'serious' cross country bike. It cost about $750 on sale - and yes the brakes came with it as standard. It's for off road cycling and I also have road bike.

If you're cycling on roads and gentle off-road (park) trails - or commuting to school then what you've got is fine. It's likely to get stolen so cheap is good.

If you are going to be hammering down a steep singletrack with roots and rocks then it will fall apart and maybe kill you.

A more expensive bike is stiffer, lighter, tougher and the controls work better - the shifters change gear in difficult conditions, the brakes have more power and control, the fork has good travel with rebound control and maybe a lockout etc.

The thing to do is to try one. You need to go to a good bike shop and see if they'll let you ride one - but be prepared for sticker shock. I bought mine off eBay - but I knew what I wanted, can understand the specs and can assemble it

bike.jpg
A Person

Postby Liv » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:59 pm

I know they're expensive...

Unfortunately I can't commute to school it's 20 miles... well unless I get super committed.... but I'd love to upgrade at some point...
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:06 am

Question.. don't know if you know... I've noticed that they have solid tires now available... does yours have them?

Worth the money?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:11 am

No. Solid (foam filed) tires are heavy and don't absorb the energy that an inflatable tire does. I can't imagine wanting them at any price
A Person

Postby A Person » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Today I saw a baby stroller - with disc brakes.

I'm suitably humbled.
A Person

Postby Liv » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:53 pm

NSFW!
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery