Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Google Chrome OS CR-48 Netbook Laptop

All things awesome.

Postby Liv » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:01 pm

I'll admit, there are benefits to blogging, and being a student... the two things that I think may have contributed to Google leaving a CR-48 prototype laptop on my front porch this afternoon. For whatever reason, I'm super grateful... and honestly I don't think I've had a day as good as this in a long-long time. It started out when I woke up, logged in to get my semester grades and found out I made straight A's. 13 credit hours, full-time blogger, and parent of two... and I managed A's. Not only that, but I know in at least two of my classes they were >100 averages. I was so very proud of myself. Then when I got home from picking the munchkins up from their school, there was a lone box sitting on the porch. I shook it like mad (probably not the brightest idea in hindsight) trying to figure out if it was something I bought Shan, or she bought me (meaning I shouldn't open it). Finally I decided to take a peek. That's when I saw this:
google chrome laptop.jpg

WTF? I'm thinking... A thermal nuclear powered hamster wheel? What the Hell did Shannon get me? We can't afford this. We don't even have hamsters. I thought we agreed that 2 cats and 1 dog was enough bloody animals if we're going to emigrate to Uzbekistan in the next few years.

That's when It hit me, that I've seen the box before. "Holy Mother of Jesus Riding a Bicycle Backwards!" It's not a hamster, it's a metaphor... I'm a guinea pig. I begin jumping up and down, the kids are now jumping up and down. Chance is like "Why are we jumping up and down?" I'm like "It's the golden ticket.... we won Charlie... a Google laptop." I swear I heard angels in that moment as we both tore into the box:

google laptop instruction manual.jpg

Chance starts laughing at the humor of the instructions, about how you can "recycle the paper or make it into a paper airplane" or if you were to "crack it open" you'd find Intel inside. Nerd humor... Montel says "Liv YOU ARE the mother!"

unboxing a google chrome laptop.jpg

They've kept it all super simple. A couple short pieces of paper to point out where the keys are, a battery and a charger. In under 15 seconds the thing has booted, and then it's just a matter of entering your google username, finding your wifi network (It also has 3g built in) and you're into Google Chrome. While I can't see this replacing my PC laptop at the current time, this is going to handle 90% of what I need to do, and be a life-saver for school because of its size and speed. It's a Ferrari compared to my PC laptop in speed of common tasks. It's super thin too. I could never afford a Mac Air, and this will be perfect for class. Plus I suspect I'll be one of the few sporting one.

google chrome hardware specs.jpg

Now I've only used it for a few minutes, but can't wait to really run her in hard and see what she can do. My plan was to write this review on it, but unfortunately I found out its SD card slot is not a XD/SD combo slot, therefore, my old XD camera card wouldn't work in it. I realize it's dated technology on my-side, but I'm still a bit surprised that they'd save 3 cents but eliminate backwards compatibility. I loved the padded feel of the laptop. Feel like it could take a bump or fall a bit better than typical laptops, and I love the side plug for USB and most importantly the power plug where it can often get crushed on conventional laptops by the screen. I should know I just replaced the cord on my 3 year old Acer.

Why I like it: I was planning on buying a netbook for school this next semester anyhow. I tried taking my huge wide-screen Acer to school and found it way to bulky. Unfortunately any netbook with reasonable processing power costs a ton of money, money I didn't have... Truthfully the features of a Chrome Laptop is perfect. It's thin and small, but still has big enough screen. I can fly, or go to school, and it doesn't weigh a ton. While I haven't had a chance to test battery life, my understanding is it's quite long (8 hours unlike my 1.5 hour Acer) meaning I can leave the charger at home. Really I couldn't think of a better Christmas gift anyone could have gotten me other than this.

google netbook.jpg

Now my concerns: It's going to take me awhile to figure out how to handle certain aspects of not have Windows as my OS. It's great if you're just receiving data 1 way, but often I publish to Greensboring and other websites with my laptop. Requiring re-sizing of photos and such, something I use Ifranview or Paint.net for. It will be interesting to see if I can find alternate ways to handle these needs. I've already switched to Chrome the browser on all my PCs and love it. It's kind of neat loading the laptop for the first-time and to find your OS loading all your data from the other computers.

Bottom line, I think this laptop is a winner, and I can't wait to further explore it. I have a feeling in time, due to its speed, even when there's a choice, I'll be reaching for it over big Bertha here. Now I'm going to go play with my new Xmas toy...
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Well congratulations. Both on your grades - which you earned, and on the laptop which is icing. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving (and appreciative) person.
A Person

Postby Liv » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:26 pm

I have a permanent smile on my face today.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:37 am

Congratulations on the grades and laptop! That is just amazing! I will be paying close attention to how you like it for future reference. :wink:
Jamy

Postby Liv » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:30 pm

Jamy wrote:Congratulations on the grades and laptop! That is just amazing! I will be paying close attention to how you like it for future reference. :wink:

So far I'm impressed. Like an EV, it's going to serve 90% of the population with all it's needs... and the bugs at least in beta are minor so far. I'm also told that the hardware aspect will be far different when the retail model comes out.... I suspect shiny, bright colored laptops.....

Also part of me wonders, based on the keyboard simplicity if they're not leaning towards some sort of tablet here....

The biggest caveat so far is the in-ability (which I believe will be fixed once out of Beta) to save internet pictures, and load them into a photo editor. If I could find a net version of paint.net... I'd be set.

I'm also not able to do my Rosetta Stone.... but I do suspect, web versions of software are the future being you can control the content better.

It's really the speed of the machine that's impressive... Coming out of sleep in my Vista machine takes about 60 seconds, where-as the Google laptop is maybe 2-3 seconds tops.... let's not even get into boot-up.

I also get a feeling a lot is going to be added down the road.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Liv wrote:The biggest caveat so far is the in-ability (which I believe will be fixed once out of Beta) to save internet pictures, and load them into a photo editor. If I could find a net version of paint.net... I'd be set.
pixlr.jpg
pixlr.jpg (2.44 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
A Person

Postby Liv » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:09 pm

You rock! I'll check it out...
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:21 pm

And I just figured out how to save images.... right clicking is engaged by pressing two fingers simultaneousnessly on the mouse pad at the same time.... Awesome!

I'm back in business....
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:29 am

Okay ran into some issues with the 3g tonight. Wanted to try out its capabilities, but unfortunately while activating the Verzon 3g it hung, and stayed partially registered. Wasn't able to use it, and couldn't find a way to re-activate it later. Despite downtown's claim their wifi is great, it's not.

However I did find a solution:

1) control-alt-t
2) type
Code: Select all
modem status
and write down the gobi number
3) type:
Code: Select all
modem factory-reset /org/chromium/ModemManager/Gobi/* 000000

Replacing the * with your Gobi # from step 2

4) then shut down your computer completely by holding down the power button for 3 seconds and logging off, then pressing it again for 3 seconds and shutting down. Then restart....

and then retry the whole activation process.... 2nd time was the charm for me.

Must say, I love the portability of this laptop... being able to take it out with us and use it in the car, or on the go is awesome.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Well, another bad day for Google. The CR-48 which isn't that old has lost it's hinges. I'm epoxy gluing it as we speak. I realize this was a cheap beta product, but lately we've had nothing but problems from the wi-fi connections on all our Android products, and our chrome book.

I went to install Windows 8 on it and discovered the screen was about to completely separate from the base.

I'd love to say otherwise, but I think the Chromebook is a fail as of now.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:14 am

Well I think I fixed the hinges with some JB Weld, then installed Windows 8.

Computer is a million times better. Windows 8, not a fan. It is fast though. If we can just remove the Metro UI, I'll be happy.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:19 am

I have switched from IE to Chrome browser. IE recently has started to give up on loading web pages. Just times out and gives me errors, Chrome loads them just fine.
A Person

Postby Liv » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:24 am

I love the Chrome browser. I always build for Chrome and try to X-check in IE... but all our computers include that new Windows 8 uses the Chrome browser.

Chrome Browser, at least so far is the only good thing Google has done in a while.... the OS, however was complete crap.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery