Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Splat Hair Color - For non-conformers.

All things awesome.

Postby Liv » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Considering I don't have a real job, no boss to answer to, and absolutely no responsibilities outside of showing up at school, and caring for the kids. I decided to order a box of Splat hair coloring from Amazon based on the online reviews. When you ask around on who makes the best pink hair coloring... you consistently get referred to Splat. Uneffingfortunately for moi, I couldn't find it locally, (though I'm sure someone sells it,) so I ordered it and waited. Since Shannon is way to conservative of a good-girl, I decided to change that by ordering her a box called "Communist Red".... no really, it's actually called "Seductive, You can't screw me because I'm a hot-bad-ass who is nothing but a tease." In fact all of Splat's colors are designed to turn any woman (or girl) into a seductive living version of Barbie. Atleast that's what I get from their commercials:

Of course back here in reality, most of us are just going to look like freaks and my color should say "Aren't you too old to be dying your hair pink?"

The truth is, you have to be a bit of a non-conformist, a wild-child, (or wanting to be perceived as one) to even consider Splatting your hair. It's a leap of faith.... after-all... it's permanent. Permanent on your hair, your skin, your tub, your bathroom floor... I'm guessing you might have a few questions before you consider shelling out $12 a box... like, Does Splat work? Yes. Is Splat bright? Yes. (Where do I buy Splat?) Proof is in my hair:

splat hair color review.jpg
Liv's hair.

The process was pretty straight-forward for me since my hair was blonde. Just add the dye and wait for 30 minutes. Shannon being blessed with dark-brown hair from her ancestors stealing hub-caps in the Mexican dessert- required an hour of bleaching (bleach is included with the kit, which if not used is useful as an artful project with your pet) followed by a wash and dry then application of dye:

splat hair coloring.jpg
Shannon dying her hair with raspberry Splat

There's a few things to consider in this process. A), even with Vaseline around your forehead and ears, (I've completely lost the guys at this point) your scalp will be dyed pink (red, green or blue) for days. Start it at the beginning of a non-social weekend. Secondly... your shower apparently will never run clear (or at least it hasn't yet for me after 3 showers), so you take pink showers for awhile. Nothing makes you feel more feminine than pink showers. It's equally impressive to wear all-white and go out in the rain. Lastly be prepared for everyone you know to say "OMG" on FaceBook, life, and (I'm expecting) at school.

shannons_splat_hair_color.jpg
Shannon's hair.

So if blondes have more fun, what do pink-heads do? (Don't answer that.) Bottom line, I'm waiting for my chance to go to my country-bumpkin neighborhood grocery store and watch the men in overalls carrying a Bible to gasp in horror as they clutch their wives crosses around their necks. Yes... I'm not like you, any of you, and now (if you didn't already know), I'm am nothing like you... and that's okay.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:44 pm

I thought it was for Japanese teen Idol CosPlay, not middle aged mommys

cosplay.jpg

Duck and cover
A Person

Postby Liv » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:09 am

Costumes? ..... hmmmm.... good idea, AP!!!! That would complete the look!
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:47 am

Yes... I'm not like you, any of you, and now (if you didn't already know), I'm am nothing like you... and that's okay.

pink-hair.jpg
A Person

Postby Liv » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:08 pm

They're wigs... fake trolls....

I've got the real deal......

The reactions so far have be hilarious.... Some guy practically stuck his head in my car last night after doing a double-take.... and when I walked up to a RedBox kiosk last night I literally made everyone's conversation stop. Shan says the bosses pulled her back in the office just to show everyone....

I have a feeling school on Monday is going to be a trip.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:42 pm

I died my hair hot pink for my 45th birthday a couple of years ago and while I loved the color, I did NOT love how the stuff kept bleeding on everything....the collars of my shirts, my pillow case, the towels....I could have lived without that. But it as fun being hot pink. I got a second box of the stuff and am thinking about putting in a nice streak this time.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=460276025925&set=a.460272160925.258662.667195925

I don't know if you'll be able to view this or not, but this is me with my husband. We were playing a game where he had to draw something blindfolded and I had to direct him. We lost. LOL
Jamy

Postby Liv » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Yeah that looks a lot how Shan's does once it was dry.... Actually hers woke up curly this morning. I woke up this morning and just sat in the tub with the shower over my head, and eventually it finally ran clear after 20 minutes, and some help with some clarifying shampoo. My pillow case has some pink on it.... but I suspect it will come out- it's faint.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:16 pm

Shannon has decided to renege on her therapy and change her hair to something more conforming..... (she's such a square!) Interestingly.... the "color fix kit" at Walgreens is made by no other than: (drum roll) SPLAT.

Tell me who thought up this concept? $12 for the color, $10 for the remover... then you have to buy color again.

I'm effing keeping my beautiful pink locks.... they rock.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:06 pm

So what color is your hair now?

The kids and I recently went to the beauty supply place and got teal and more hot pink. My daughter got black with the idea of dying it blue black with teal streaks, but the teal doesn't show up. :( Looks great on the ten year old's blond hair though and Ave ended up doing the blue black, then bleaching the underneath so it's a bright strawberry blond...now THAT looks cool; especially after I cut some layers into it to accentuate the curls and that under layer. :) And I now have copper colored hair with a hot pink streak in the front. My daughter says I look like a clown...like that's something new for me. :roll:
Jamy

Postby Liv » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Right now I'm back to being blonde.

I considered dying my hair pink again over Christmas break, but I became a bit to maternal and began talking down to myself on how I need to grow up and take Uni with some responsibility.

Quite likely I'll regress and try it again, but for now... I'm just a plain ole blonde.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:31 am

I decided to go with a complete absense of color so I'm gradually decreasing the amound of color in my hair. White is the new black (as the salesman at the Subaru dealer said)
A Person

Postby Liv » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:20 am

I decided to go with a complete absense of color

I'm visualizing you with fiber-optic hair strands now.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Liv wrote:
I decided to go with a complete absense of color

I'm visualizing you with fiber-optic hair strands now.

That would be cool.

I'm totally white headed....have been since I was about 30, but I love color, so the white hair on me offends my eye. I love color in the general sense anyway. I'll pick a hot pink or orange or purple item of clothing over white any day. The only time I eschew color for white is with tee shirts. I don't like colorful tee shirts, I prefer them to be white with a colorful design on them. Maybe that is from too much time spent trying to work out graphics on colored shirts when I was a screen printer. :lol:
Jamy

Return to Geekery