Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Brain-eating amoebas kill three this year

All things awesome.

Postby A Person » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:44 pm

If the alligators and snales don't get you - brain eating amoebas will,

Wikipedia wrote:Naegleria fowleri( /nəˈɡlɪəriə/; also known as "the brain-eating amoeba") is a free-living excavate form of protist typically found in warm bodies of fresh water, such as ponds, lakes, rivers, and hot springs. It is also found in soil, near warm water discharges of industrial plants, and unchlorinated swimming pools in an amoeboid or temporary flagellate stage. There is no evidence of this organism living in ocean water. It belongs to a group called the Percolozoa or Heterolobosea. Although not a true amoeba, the organism is often referred to as an amoeba for convenience.

N. fowleri can invade and attack the human nervous system. Although this occurs rarely,[1] such an infection nearly always results in the death of the victim.[2] The mortality rate is estimated at 98%.[3]

It's killed three children this year

CNN

A 16-year-old died Saturday after becoming infected by an amoeba in Brevard County, Florida, according to CNN's affiliate WFTV. The amoeba could have entered the teen's body as the teen swam in a nearby river.

Her mother, P.J. Nash-Ryder, said her daughter complained of a headache, threw up 20 times and ran a fever as high as 104 degrees.

"She would sit up in bed and just look at me, and I would ask her what was wrong," Nash-Ryder said. "She would say, 'I don't know.' And I'd tell her to lay back down. Her eyes were rolling ... and she wouldn't shut them all the way."

A spinal tap showed that Naegleria fowleri was present in her spinal fluids.

In another case, the Virginia Department of Health confirmed Friday that a child from central Virginia died from primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, which is caused by the amoeba. The Richmond Times Dispatch said the child was a 9-year-old boy from Henrico County.

The child died within the last few weeks, said Dr. Keri Hall, the state's director of epidemiology. She declined to share other details. Virginia's last confirmed case was in 1969.
The amoeba is not a parasite. A human is an "accidental end point for the amoeba after it's forced up the nose," Yoder said. It does not seek human hosts.

But when an amoeba gets lodged into a person's nose, it starts looking for food. It ends up in the brain and starts eating neurons.

"It causes a great deal of trauma and a great deal of damage," Yoder said. "It's a tragic infection. It's right at the frontal lobe. It affects behavior and the core of who they are -- their emotions, their ability to reason -- it's very difficult."

Early symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting and neck stiffness. Later symptoms include confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations.

The amoeba multiplies, and the body mounts a defense against the infection. This, combined with the rapidly increasing amoebas, cause the brain to swell, creating immense pressure. At some point, the brain stops working.

Death typically occurs three to seven days after the symptoms start.
A Person

Postby A Person » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:08 pm

Apparently it's all God's plan - in the video the mother explains that it's a 'blessing in disguise' because her daughter was an organ donor and her death has made people go to church and get baptized, and inspired them to believe in God

I find that very difficult to understand. Let's hope they don't get baptised in unchlorinated water,

river_baptism.jpg
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Think that explains the Tea Party? If so, how come THEY're not dead yet?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:45 pm

I saw this... one of the occurences was in Virgina... so it'll make me think twice before swimming at our local swimming hole. The world is just getting more dangerous, each minute.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:33 am

I'm surprised the texting and hot dog count isn't higher. :|
Jamy

Postby Liv » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:21 pm

What happens if a dog eats a hot-dog, do your chances of death increase?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Don't screw and strangulate in hippo and shark infested swamps in florida during an thunderstorm or tornado, while eating a hot dog, texting, on black Friday. Otherwise you should be fairly safe - unless you have to fly to Florida or are allergic to ants and dogs

All useful survival information

I'm going to have to watch out for icicles though
A Person

Postby Liv » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:44 pm

Amoebas are scared of the Mayans... it's 2012.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:37 pm

I think stress from dealing with stupid people probably is the number one killer. Yep. It's gotta be because it sure as hell is killing me. LOL
Jamy

Postby Liv » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Some billionaire in China just died from eating cat stew, that someone poisoned. Bet he didn't see that one coming.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Liv wrote:Some billionaire in China just died from eating cat stew, that someone poisoned. Bet he didn't see that one coming.

Mmmmeeeowwwww!!! :twisted:
Jamy

Return to Geekery