Originals WTF-USA? La Culture Geekery The Boro Blog

Aixam in The USA...

All things awesome.

Postby Liv » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:47 pm

KU01.jpg

So I'm researching the cheapest way I can get to school. I'm considering mopeds, buying a used car, all sorts of different modes of transportation, and to be honest, they all rather suck.

Then I stumble upon this: The Aixam, a very affordable, moped powered car that has all the amenities. (like great gas mileage) One problem... It's only in the UK. Figures!

Now I have found many moped trikes, but nothing enclosed like this, and nothing with a backseat that would allow my to deliver the kiddies to school. I suppose it's not far off from the old timey Festivas, that they don't make any more.

Once again my hopes and dreams are thwarted by America's inability to provide me what other countries have.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Liv
Lost in Hell and Digging My Way Out.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:08 am

Get a used Smart Car. I hear the market for those puppies is dwindling pretty fast. :roll:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:20 am

Honestly, it's out of my budget... I think... We had a talk tonight, which put my expectations in limbo, but I think I'm going to start looking for a nice Geo Metro or Suzuki Swift, or Festiva, with a 5-speed and A/C and low mileage. It's a tall order, but their 1.3 liter should get about 40 MPG.... I found one for about $7,000 at a dealer, but I think that's outrageous and it was also a automatic. So I'll keep looking.

I don't want to spend more than $2,000 right now. That may change depending on what happens. Considering I hope to eventually move abroad at some point, I really don't want a new car... or even a "like-new"...
Liv

Postby A Person » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:38 pm

That's the equivalent of an NEV in the US

http://www.milesev.com

Or you could buy a used golf cart
A Person

Postby Liv » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:02 pm

If that's the car I think it is, it's made in Canada, but had a hard time passing US regulations. They were importing the bodies of a car from Europe, and fitting them with electronic drives.

The car above, is a small engine powered car rather than electric.

Right now we're driving about 100 miles a day for a total of about 600 miles a week. Which even if I'm getting 30 MPG, it's $100 a week... but even if I bought a new car, most new cars only get about 40 mpg. Which under the best circumstances would maybe cut my gas in half... but wouldn't justify the cost of a new car.

I've thought about two mopeds, but my understanding is they're only about 80 MPG... but we'd have to subtract the mileage to take the kids to school (about 10 each way) because they'd still have to go in the car.

I think a used Swift, or Metro is likely the answer... though I'm open to suggestions.
Liv

Postby Liv » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:59 pm

ST600-C_flyer.jpg

Okay, I may have spoken too soon. I just found out about the WildFire. It's a 4 speed, 4 door, 4 seater, 3 wheeled car that gets 70 MPG.

The bad news is they're in Ohio, and they're 8,000 and they don't have a/c.

Maybe I need to hold out for a Tata?

Also, rather like this but it's way too expensive: "Lil Pickup"

It's got a/c, 4 doors, a bed, and gets 50 mpgs for $13,000

Looked at a Fiat 500, and can't believe they want $20,000 for one. WTF?
Liv

Postby CLD » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:30 am

Liv,

Sorry for the late post, but I just came across your blog. The car alluded to by the previous poster is the ZENN, which is a Microcar MC2 fitted with electric drive.

http://www.micro-car.co.uk/
http://www.microcar.fr/

The car was imported to North America from Europe from 2006 to 2010. I own one of these as my daily commuter. It's classified under U.S. DOT regulations as a low-speed vehicle (LSV) or neighorhood electric vehicle (NEV). In most states it is speed-limited to 25 mph; although in other states (Montana, Texas, Washington) it's regulated at 35 mph. Just so you know, there are no air-bags in it.

There are several other brands of NEV's sold in the U.S., although they are hard to find new now. ZENN's can be found used (for example, http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/ZENN). If you go to the ZENN website (http://www.zenncars.com) there is a dealer page. They might be able to find you a used one.
CLD

Postby Liv » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:55 pm

I'm aware of the Zenn... I thought they were cool at first, but I no longer believe completely electric cars are of value right now. At least not for most Americans.

A 2-3 cylinder car with A/C and a front and back seat is.

Aixam fits that bill... as did the Geo Metro at one time. (Which I purchased back in December).

Fiat makes a great car, but it's too expensive.

If they'd release a bare-bones car similar to the Geo Metro again, sub-10,000 they'd make a gold-mine in the US right now.

Driving a Metro is like driving a Ferrari, everyone comes over and talks to you at the gas-pumps, or when shopping... they always want to know how many MPGs I get...
Liv

Postby Jamy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:44 am

I like that Snyder. I'd buy one in a heartbeat....I would't even mind going out to Ohio to get it.
Jamy

Postby Liv » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:16 am

I like the Snyder, but there's a couple caveats with it. No A/C, limited to 45 MPH, and the typical 3 wheel physics.

If you're a cautious driver, who needs an in-town commuter and doesn't mind no-A/C.... then you could theoretically save a ton of money by switching to a vehicle like that.

On the other hand, you might come to the conclusion, based on cost that a used Geo Metro is a better choice at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost...

Though, Wildfire, the same company that makes the above model does make a truck version, which could be useful for all these truck lovers out there.

I have seen a Geo Metro truck conversion, but I wouldn't recommend it.

38862724001_large.jpg

Unless you're completely bored.
Liv

Postby cld » Sun May 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Liv,

I think the problem you're going to run into is that cars like the Aixam, Microcar, Ligier are all classified in Europe as quadricycles, not cars. The ZENN, Dynasty IT, etc... are the North American equivalents, classifed under U.S. DOT FMVSS 500 as either LSV's or NEV's. You're just not going to find an equivalent gasoline-powered classification in North America. Ergo, Aixam will never be imported into the U.S.; at least not until they can find a way to equip them with airbags and pass Federal DOT crass certification, which I would pretty much safely assume they wouldn't (they're just too light weight).

As far as the practicality of owning an electric vehicle in the U.S., I've been driving mine for 2 1/2 years and couldn't love it more. My typical commute is 12 miles per day. Well within the range of the ZENN, even with the A/C on full blast (which I pretty much have to do living in Houston). I've tested it up to 37 miles, before I got bored and decided to head back home. But I never go that far during a typical day. And if I do, I have my Prius in reserve for that occasion. True, I'm probably going to have to replace the batteries in about 1 - 2 years at a cost of $3500, but I didn't really buy the car for cost savings.

Anyway, to each his own. I hope you find something to fit the bill for you.
cld

Postby Liv » Sun May 06, 2012 9:18 pm

I'm shocked that the UK allows non-air-bag equipped motor vehicles. (Though I do realize the 3-wheel bike cars don't have them in the U.S. either.) The technology is old, and inexpensive which doesn't seem like a huge problem. Crash testing is always expensive, so I concede that- that could be a problem.

I do really think Fords new Eco-3 (and similar motors) is going to be the way forward for most of America. However its still priced way too high to make an immediate change.

Of course, I'd prefer a national public transportation initiative to any car, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
Liv

Postby CLD » Sun May 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Liv,

I should amend my last post. There is nothing under FMVSS 500 that prohibits gasoline-powered LSV's, provided they are speed-regulated from 20 - 25 mph (http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings ... html#lsv45). However, this does not directly correlate to the speed-unregulated European "Heavy Quadricycle" L7e classification that the Aixam falls under. Rather FMVSS 500 better correlates to the L6e "Light Quadricycle" regulation, which requires speed regulation at 45 kph or lower. These vehicles can often be driven without an operators license. The loophole in the U.S. that allows higher-speed NEV's is that some states regulate them as medium-speed vehicles (MSV'S). So far, the Feds haven't challenged this classification in states where the higher speeds are allowed. You can see how these things evolve.

Unfortunately, the days of lightweight 3-cylinder vehicles like the Metro being sold in the U.S. are long gone. On the other hand, I have two relatives that endured heavy crashes in Metros, one of which has left my brother-in-law with permanent back damage. Fortunately, they survived and are still with us.

About the only gasoline-powered option that is available to Americans in the low-cost, high-mileage enclosed vehicle range are the three-wheeled cars like the Snyder. I suppose you could always try to import a Reliant Robin.
CLD

Postby CLD » Sun May 06, 2012 10:30 pm

I'm shocked that the UK allows non-air-bag equipped motor vehicles. (Though I do realize the 3-wheel bike cars don't have them in the U.S. either.) The technology is old, and inexpensive which doesn't seem like a huge problem.

To that end, the Microcar MGo now has available airbags (http://www.micro-car.co.uk/press.php).

I agree with your sentiment. It's a little bit ironic that three-wheeled, non-airbag, enclosed vehicles are allowed in the U.S.--and they only require a motorcycle operators license and are speed-unregulated--but inherently safer cars like the Aixam and Microcar MGo aren't. I know that small-car safety is a consideration, but the inconsistencies are baffling.
CLD

Postby norman_hardy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:14 pm

Aixam cars are license-free cars, powered by a Kubota Diesel engine, and very specific for European countries, with high taxes on gas. You can import a new Aixam from France, where the plant is located. But the price is not cheap, because of only 10,000 cars produced a year. They have a website, of course .
norman_hardy

Return to Geekery