Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

A posthumous Jobs idea: control via gestures

All things awesome.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:57 pm

Using an iPhone or iPad can be a bit confusing. There are movements that you can make with your fingers touching the glass screens that the processor assumes are commends to do all sorts of strange things. There the pinch, and spread, to zoom in or out. the 1-finger swipe does one thing, using two fingers does another. It takes some getting used to.

Now it seems that Apple has a patent on a method for controlling your iPad from a distance. Apparently, Steve Jobs in his final months decided to spend some time developing ways you could control your iPad and other devices by -- well -- DANCING at them.

I don't know why you'd consider that a useful feature. As far as the iPhone and iPad are concerned, I think that I'd prefer to operate them only while they're in my hands. But maybe that's just me...

At any rate, it seems to me that this isn't a step forward. People already think Apple users are weird enough, without them wondering why we're dancing for our computers....
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:20 pm

This is Microsoft's idea of the future....

I like it...

Apparently, the next generation of phones will have lasers on the side that produce a keyboard on a surface for typing too.

Just the other day they added HDMI and game stick devices to a phone... meaning you can now hook it up to your TV, watch movies and play video games.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery